Psychological Merit or Hogwash?

I mentioned fire to a coworker and he laughed in my face like it couldnt be done. He taps all of the equity in his house so he and his wife can get a new car and truck every few years. LOTS of toys in his garage, too ;) I think the average person doesnt think it can be done and as long as they are happy with it, to each his own. I think some of this depends on personality, too, and having some predisposition to saving rather than have fun now.

I long time ago stopped trying to convert anybody to FIRE. A few people will come up with the questions themselves - but I leave the rest to keep the wheels of the world spinning as mark points out! Cheers!

maddythebeagle said:
I mentioned fire to a coworker and he laughed in my face like it couldnt be done. He taps all of the equity in his house so he and his wife can get a new car and truck every few years. LOTS of toys in his garage, too  ;) I think the average person doesnt think it can be done and as long as they are happy with it, to each his own. I think some of this depends on personality, too, and having some predisposition to saving rather than have fun now.

Yep, those folks are the "MISFIREs". They are missing out (some don't care of course) but most are clueless as to the possibilities. There are even those on this forum who would doubt you cano it with no planning
and little savings and miniscule net worth, f not for me and uncle mick
who basically stumbled and bumbled our way to ER. I think almost anyone
with brains and balls (sorry ladies) can do it. Your "average" person
wouldn't agree and your average retirement "guru" certainly wouldn't.

JG

I was goosed by 'the flying fickle finger of fate' and landed in ER. My apolgies to the old Laugh In tv series.

And, and - kept a low profile age 49 - 55 until the first 'official' pension check arrived - then I could attend a few official retiree functions from time to time - still one of the youngest - 55 and outs were rare.

While certainly not a scientific sampling, I am amazed/dismayed by the number of co-workers and acquaintances who not only have no savings, but are indebted to their eyeballs, and considering/filed bankruptcy...

I groan that my $300k NW needs to be much bigger, but comparitively speaking, I'm a regular Bill Gates! :p

Back
Top Bottom