Join Early Retirement Today

Psychological Merit or Hogwash?
Old 06-27-2005, 12:10 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Psychological Merit or Hogwash?

I have a friend (co-worker also), that has just received a bonus which will allow them to pay off all of their credit card debt (~$7 K).

Afterwards, she would still have ~$2,500 left to begin saving.

Enthused at her opportunity, I told her we should celebrate her freedom from debt! However, I was stunned when she replied that she was not going to pay down the balance.

When I asked why...her response was along the lines that she has never had this amount of money in lump sum..and that by finally "having" something, she would feel more empowered to save more.

I acknowledged her perspective and offered up that by paying off this debt and keeping it paid, her life would take on a different path. And that the peace of mind she would gain is worth more than the $'s paid.

She's planning a vacation to Mexico and I noticed today @ lunch that she had a used car book in her hand.

Is this normal? Should I just let it be?

What would you do---in her case...and mine?

TD

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Psychological Merit or Hogwash?
Old 06-27-2005, 12:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Is this normal?* Should I just let it be?

What would you do---in her case...and mine?
Yup, completely 'normal' for most Americans. That's why I never wanted to be 'Normal', I wanted to be exceptional! 8). Also, that is why the Average American houselhold has less than $15,000 Saved for retirement, outside of Home equity.

I would do nothing, because you're just going to piss her off. Besides, someone has to keep working to pay our Social Security
Old 06-27-2005, 12:22 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

HAHA! Never thought about the source of my success.

It's sad though...very sad to me that she has this wonderful opportunity and may blow it.

TD
Old 06-27-2005, 12:25 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's very sad. Opportunity wasted. Happens all the time (not in my household).
Old 06-27-2005, 03:40 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hi Tommy,

Sounds like a classic case of "Mental Accounting." Having savings and credit card debt is a good example.

From Effective Financial Planning in the Presence of Judgmental Heuristics:

Quote:
How Can You Tell?

How does one tell if a client may be using mental accounting? Although many signals may exist, there are two simple signs that are easy to identify. First is the existence of savings and credit card balances. This condition reflects the mental assignment of too little value on borrowed money and too high a value on savings...
See also Mental Accounting Matters, by Richard Thaler.

A book that really helped me understand my behavioral biases is Why Smart People Make Big Money Mistakes And How To Correct Them: Lessons From The New Science Of Behavioral Economics, by Gary Belsky and Thomas Gilovich. Very easy to read, and pretty funny. I said, "Hey, I've done that" a couple of times. Very affordable as well.

- Alec
Old 06-27-2005, 03:56 PM   #6

I guess saving and LBYM is an abnormal trait most of us seem to share.
I also agree that you really cannot convince that type of person to change her lifestyle. She just doesn't have the LBYM genetic defect and frankly I'm glad. Like CT said, we need people with high income to continue contributing to our future SS pension fund.
I have decided selfishly only to preach ER to my few closest friends and relatives. If I hear any contrary arguments, I just smile and inwardly thank them for their continued support.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:31 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ats5g
Hi Tommy,

Sounds like a classic case of "Mental Accounting."* Having savings and credit card debt is a good example.

From Effective Financial Planning in the Presence of Judgmental Heuristics:

See also Mental Accounting Matters, by Richard Thaler.

A book that really helped me understand my behavioral biases is Why Smart People Make Big Money Mistakes And How To Correct Them: Lessons From The New Science Of Behavioral Economics, by Gary Belsky and Thomas Gilovich. Very easy to read, and pretty funny. I said, "Hey, I've done that" a couple of times. Very affordable as well.

- Alec
Fascinating read...thanks Alec!
Old 06-27-2005, 04:36 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

By nature I am not a cheerleader. So I never encourage anyone other than my own family to do this or that.

First, I really don't have many answers that I am sure enough of to recommend to others. I enjoy spending money on some things, but I also am cheap and enjoy holding on. Maybe that other person just enjoys spending, and would be bored crazy or frustrated by saving.

Second, I consider the world a laboratory. If I go around trying to influence all the different experiments, what am I going to learn?

Third, this behavior gets easier with age, at least for a man. Young men can be really bossy. I sure was. But it ended when I turned 64.*

Ha
Old 06-27-2005, 06:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ats5g
Hi Tommy,

Sounds like a classic case of "Mental Accounting."* Having savings and credit card debt is a good example.

- Alec
Hey! I have savings paying 3.50% and credit card debt over 100K, from -0-% to
1.99%. Anyway, I've made quite a pile of cash during this period
of CC promo offers. Long may they continue (tax free too)

JG
Old 06-27-2005, 09:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Hey! I have savings paying 3.50% and credit card debt over 100K, from -0-% to
1.99%. Anyway, I've made quite a pile of cash during this period
of CC promo offers. Long may they continue (tax free too)
Getting these offers, filling them out, paying the bills that came in later, etc. would seem too much like work to me. Maybe you should consider accounting JG - the pay's higher than what your getting on that. Work is work.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:02 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by azanon
Getting these offers, filling them out, paying the bills that came in later, etc. would seem too much like work to me. Maybe you should consider accounting JG - the pay's higher than what your getting on that. Work is work.
Amen.

I have preached the gospel of ER to all my heathen friends. They nod sagely, they well up with tears, they come down to the altar to repent and get saved!

......then they buy a $3000 guitar while still living at mom and dad's house. Forget it. Either you get it or you don't. Everyone knows I'm into this stuff. If they come to me, I refer them to millionaire next door and 4 pillars. Otherwise, I'm done trying to save the hopless spendthrift sinners of the world. Plus I need them to keep SS afloat.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:30 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I think if this person were a credit card abuser who has finally seen the light then using a windfall to build an emergency fund before paying off debt could make sense. It's often discouraging to pay off the cards only to have to use them again right away for a car repair or other disaster.

If I were in your friend's situation I would put $1000 in ING for a short term emergency, put the rest in CDs that are "out of reach" for a longer term emergency (like unemployment). and transfer all debt to super low rate cards. Then I would attack the credit card debt with gusto.

The only problem with this plan is that it takes a little discipline not to spend the windfall on toys, and those with that kind of discipline usually don't have credit card debt in the first place. I agree with the others - just let it alone.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by azanon
Getting these offers, filling them out, paying the bills that came in later, etc. would seem too much like work to me.* *Maybe you should consider accounting JG - the pay's higher than what your getting on that.* Work is work.
If it felt like work I would avoid it. Feels like "money for nothing"
(great song - Dire Straits) to me. Besides, a few extra thousand
per year may not mean much to some on this forum. It's big money to me.
I am guessing that since these offers began I have netted $5,000
and since I hold my income below the total of my exemptions and
the standard deduction, no fed. taxes either.
JG
Old 06-28-2005, 05:56 AM   #14

Just on observation. If a person was somewhat financially
astute and a bit hardnosed, they could simply negotiate their way out of credit card troubles. The CC cxompanies would much rather do that
than risk a protracted fight or bankruptcy. OTOH, if you were smart
enough to negotiate these "deals" you probably wouldn't be in
trouble in the first place

JG
Old 06-28-2005, 10:06 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

JG brings up a good point. Back when I had CC debt, I called one card and said, "hey, I'm thinking of transferring my balance, what are you going to do for me?" and they lowered my rate 3% right there on the spot. That was quite beneficial considering I was lying since my credit rating stunk at the time and no other company would take me....
Old 06-28-2005, 10:12 AM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Pretty simple.

You have a pile of dirt.

Would you rather create a mountain or fill in a hole?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 10:19 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notth
Pretty simple.

You have a pile of dirt.

You can't build a mountain without a firm foundation. Without a foundation, your mountain will collapse into a sinkhole (and take your castle with it).
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 01:56 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notth
Pretty simple.

You have a pile of dirt.

Judging from the torture that's inevitably going to be evoked by this mangled metaphor, it's not as simple as it looks!

I'm impressed that she's looking at used cars instead of new. And if she pisses away that lump sum that she's never "had" before, then the experiential learning that results when it's gone will be worth more than even having Bogle & Bernstein sitting in her livingroom with their helpful suggestions.

Yeah, OK, TH, let's see what everyone can do with that visual image...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 02:53 PM   #19

JG

- 100k in credit card transfers? Geeze, you are da king. how many cards do you have open at any one time? I wonder what the world record is before they stop issuing you new cards, lol. Any credit card companies that you would avoid? I assume that you use bill pay to pay the min. payments each month.

Old 06-28-2005, 08:22 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, TD, maybe she needs to replace her car

Too bad she doesn't realize that the credit-card interest is going to pile up faster than her savings rate, but I gotta go with the majority here. Let it be. It's her money. And she'll probably tell you you're "lucky" when you can RE...