Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 10:39 PM   #241
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Help, I am drowning in horseshit and everyone around me keeps tossing me a cinderblock when they see me about to submerge!

Today was really "special." This is allegedly "employee appreciation week" which translates to a few comped meals served by management (it is very awkward to have officers scooping out your mashed potatoes). For some reason, top brass chose this week to have today's forced 6 hour videoconference among all offices where they blathered about strategic direction, how wonderful it is that we are running under budget (by not paying us), and how cost control will require expense management (i.e. we will not be paying you in the future, either). I finally escaped only to get dragged into a 2 and a half hour conference call where some of my chief tormenters argued the whole time about unbelievably trivial nonsense that nobody on the call has the power to change in any case.

I don't know how I will make it through the next 6 to 8 months. I can barely force myself out of the truck in the morning when I get to the train station lot. I wonder how many sick days I can take. I am getting real close to getting back into the truck one morning and disappearing into the mountains with a rifle and a pack.
Just focus on the money. That regular paycheck is what you are there for.

Believe me, I do sympathize but AFAIK the above is the best way to handle it.
__________________

__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2013, 11:10 PM   #242
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Milton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Just focus on the money.

AFAIK the above is the best way to handle it.
Best way is to look for another (i.e., better / less worse) job.

Hanging on in not-so-quiet desperation to earn a few bucks is no way to live.
__________________

__________________
"To know what you prefer, instead of humbly saying Amen to what the world tells you you ought to prefer, is to have kept your soul alive". Robert Louis Stevenson, An Inland Voyage (1878)
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:37 AM   #243
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Best way is to look for another (i.e., better / less worse) job.

Hanging on in not-so-quiet desperation to earn a few bucks is no way to live.
IIRC, Brewer has already done that within the past few years. He doesn't seem any happier in his present j*b than in his previous one.

As W2R said, just think of the money, brewer. It's a transaction. You need the money, therefore you have to put up with the BS until you have reached your financial goals. At least you have a wonderful outdoor environment to explore on your days off!
__________________
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:04 AM   #244
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I don't know how I will make it through the next 6 to 8 months.
When I was in your shoes, one of the things I did was to start counting down the number of Mondays left. It was manageable number even when you have several months left. Plus there are several Monday holidays during the year which lowers it even more.
__________________
jon-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:12 AM   #245
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 354
Counting your money and counting down the Mondays are both good suggestions.

You could also try to imagine that your next job is as a scriptwriter for The Office, Version 2.0 and that all this silliness is being put on as inspiration for you.
__________________
lhamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:09 AM   #246
Full time employment: Posting here.
GalaxyBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains
Posts: 844
Wow. You sound so much like me right now it's just amazing.

Before DW did the RE, her state job had employee appreciation food once in a while. Once it was a dough-nut, another time it was a hot dog. As in singular, and she had to sign for it. Nothing makes one feel so appreciated as having to sign for stale pastry.
__________________
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:18 AM   #247
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhamo View Post
You could also try to imagine that your next job is as a scriptwriter for The Office, Version 2.0 and that all this silliness is being put on as inspiration for you.
This is a good suggestion if things are truly bizarre. Imagining that you are a participant in a situation comedy (for which you are well paid) can help you to distance yourself from the nonsense and keep your sense of humor. I used this myself.
__________________
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:06 AM   #248
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,856
Brewer12345, your story reminded me of one of my worst days I barely avoided at my old company.

Back in 1989-1991, we had an annual party in which all employees from all the New York City-area office gathered in a large room in a hotel or convention center to have a rah-rah party session for a few hours one afternoon.

For the first 2 years, we had it in lower Manhattan near the main office I worked in but after that second year those who worked in a large office complex in Rockland County (about an hour's drive north on lower Manhattan) squawked, understandably, about the extra travel to and from the party. Some of the employees who worked in that office actually lived closer to our Manhattan office than the RC office but were not able or permitted to shorten their traveling by reporitng to our office instead.

So in 1991 they moved to party from Manhattan to a convention center in Westchester County, a much shorter trip for those who worked at the RC office. But now they had to get everyone from the Manhattan office to Westchester County so they chartered a bunch of buses. They also provided a bag lunch for everyone to eat during the trip. On the return trip, the buses would also drop people off at popular mass transit hubs such as Penn Station and the Port Authority bus terminal.

This arrangement sounded like a total nightmare to me and to many others. While I wanted to attend the party, although not that badly, the added commute and lunch-on-the-bus I wanted no part of. I happened to have a 1/2 vacation day available (although if I hadn't, it would not have changed things) so I opted to use it for the morning part of work and drive up to the party from where I lived, about a 45-minute drive at 11:30 AM when there was no traffic. I would then find a place to eat lunch near the convention center after I arrived and meet up with everyone when the party started. After the party, I would visit a friend who lived nearby for dinner and drive back home after the rush hour.

But my boss originally did not want to grant me the half vacation day. I am not sure why, though. Perhaps he was concerned about others wanting to take a half-day but why that would be bad I do not know. I told him I was not getting on some bus to eat lunch and if I were denied this I would request a full vacation day and just skip the whole event. My boss knew I was serious so he granted me the half vacation day.

Everything went as planned for me. I also used this midweek sleep-in morning to go out the night before, not caring if I got home later than usual. One coworker wanted to hitch a ride with me back home (he lived in my area) but I told him I was not heading right home so that would not work. I arrived home around 8:30 PM after dinner and hanging out with my friend.

When I returned to work the next morning, I heard about the nightmare which ensued on the return trip on the buses. That was during the PM rush hour and it was a disaster. Some coworkers did not get home until after I did! The buses got lost and were not able to get to the transit hubs to drop people off to get home.

The company never held any more of these parties again and nobody was upset about it.
__________________
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:14 AM   #249
Full time employment: Posting here.
ER Eddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 721
Having a countdown is somewhat helpful (especially as you see the numbers drop), but I found that what helps me more is to develop a clear vision for my retirement and focus on that. Focusing on a countdown keeps me focused on how much drudgery I still have to endure. I've learned that, to keep my spirits up, I need to keep my focus on my goal, what I'm working towards. So I spend time thinking about what my retirement will be like -- what I will be doing, where I will be living, etc. -- describing it on paper, reviewing it, trying to imagine it. It helps to encourage me along the way.
__________________
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:35 AM   #250
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
JoeWras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
Wow. You sound so much like me right now it's just amazing.

Before DW did the RE, her state job had employee appreciation food once in a while. Once it was a dough-nut, another time it was a hot dog. As in singular, and she had to sign for it. Nothing makes one feel so appreciated as having to sign for stale pastry.
Wow.

Someone just mentioned "The Office". They actually had a whole episode about the "yearly pretzel day" (Stanley's favorite day). The best comedy is based on reality.

Old Megacorp stopped the food in the last recession. Then suddenly some departments started doing it on the sly using some slush funds with bogus account coding. This caused all sorts of infighting. I'm just trying to ignore it. What a bunch of nonsense. An occasional free lunch is not worth worrying about. But I understand Brewer's point. Nothing like having the high-ups "serve" you.
__________________
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #251
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
Wow. You sound so much like me right now it's just amazing.

Before DW did the RE, her state job had employee appreciation food once in a while. Once it was a dough-nut, another time it was a hot dog. As in singular, and she had to sign for it. Nothing makes one feel so appreciated as having to sign for stale pastry.
Employee appreciation week usually comes with a logo'd doodad. Two years ago it was a collapsible beer cooler complete with prominent logo (weird, but actually useful), last year it was a BBQ implement set that fits into an apron with the logo (I already have at least two of these, but whatever). Given all the static about cost control, I am wondering what it will be this year. Maybe a bong with the logo in honor of MJ legalization in Colorado?
__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:49 AM   #252
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Just focus on the money. That regular paycheck is what you are there for.

Believe me, I do sympathize but AFAIK the above is the best way to handle it.
It would be easier to just think about the money if I weren't already well above the portfolio balance goal I set for myself to hit and check out 4/1/14.
__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:00 AM   #253
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Given all the static about cost control, I am wondering what it will be this year. Maybe a bong with the logo in honor of MJ legalization in Colorado?
Finally, something useful...
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:01 AM   #254
Full time employment: Posting here.
HawkeyeNFO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Inside the Beltway
Posts: 573
I have to justify my existance to the Navy by participating in the random drug testing every once in a while, and yesterday was the most recent episode. Usually, a junior enlisted guy watches you fill up the specimen container to ensure that everything is legit, and you're not emptying a pre-packaged bag into their container.

So I got there yesterday, and a Captain is the observer. If O-6's who have already commanded squadrons, subs, and ships now get promoted to duties like watching a bunch of dudes pee all morning, then the Pentagon is more screwed up than anyone knew. I guess for that guy, he got tired of making the admiral's coffee and wanted a change.
__________________
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:04 AM   #255
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
Brewer12345, your story reminded me of one of my worst days I barely avoided at my old company.

Back in 1989-1991, we had an annual party in which all employees from all the New York City-area office gathered in a large room in a hotel or convention center to have a rah-rah party session for a few hours one afternoon.

For the first 2 years, we had it in lower Manhattan near the main office I worked in but after that second year those who worked in a large office complex in Rockland County (about an hour's drive north on lower Manhattan) squawked, understandably, about the extra travel to and from the party. Some of the employees who worked in that office actually lived closer to our Manhattan office than the RC office but were not able or permitted to shorten their traveling by reporitng to our office instead.

So in 1991 they moved to party from Manhattan to a convention center in Westchester County, a much shorter trip for those who worked at the RC office. But now they had to get everyone from the Manhattan office to Westchester County so they chartered a bunch of buses. They also provided a bag lunch for everyone to eat during the trip. On the return trip, the buses would also drop people off at popular mass transit hubs such as Penn Station and the Port Authority bus terminal.

This arrangement sounded like a total nightmare to me and to many others. While I wanted to attend the party, although not that badly, the added commute and lunch-on-the-bus I wanted no part of. I happened to have a 1/2 vacation day available (although if I hadn't, it would not have changed things) so I opted to use it for the morning part of work and drive up to the party from where I lived, about a 45-minute drive at 11:30 AM when there was no traffic. I would then find a place to eat lunch near the convention center after I arrived and meet up with everyone when the party started. After the party, I would visit a friend who lived nearby for dinner and drive back home after the rush hour.

But my boss originally did not want to grant me the half vacation day. I am not sure why, though. Perhaps he was concerned about others wanting to take a half-day but why that would be bad I do not know. I told him I was not getting on some bus to eat lunch and if I were denied this I would request a full vacation day and just skip the whole event. My boss knew I was serious so he granted me the half vacation day.

Everything went as planned for me. I also used this midweek sleep-in morning to go out the night before, not caring if I got home later than usual. One coworker wanted to hitch a ride with me back home (he lived in my area) but I told him I was not heading right home so that would not work. I arrived home around 8:30 PM after dinner and hanging out with my friend.

When I returned to work the next morning, I heard about the nightmare which ensued on the return trip on the buses. That was during the PM rush hour and it was a disaster. Some coworkers did not get home until after I did! The buses got lost and were not able to get to the transit hubs to drop people off to get home.

The company never held any more of these parties again and nobody was upset about it.
scrabbler1,

Nowadays, many companies have work from home policy. I am working from how now, though isolated. Would you have stayed if there was such policy in your old company?
__________________
fh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:49 PM   #256
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by fh2000 View Post
scrabbler1,

Nowadays, many companies have work from home policy. I am working from how now, though isolated. Would you have stayed if there was such policy in your old company?
Actually, I worked mostly from home for 27 months from 2001-2003. This was the beginning of my 7 part-time years of work. The company, however, ended all open-ended telecommute gigs in 2003 so I had to fulfill all of my hours at the office. I was able to keep the part-time number of hours, though. I knew at the time that this change wold lead to my eventual undoing (i.e. ER) because I absolutely HATED the commute, even 3 days a week. The commute was 75-90 minutes each way on two different train systems. It was long, tiring, and often sickening.

When I finally left the company and ERed in late 2008 (5 years to the day they ended my telecommute gig), I told them in my exit interview that I had become so burnt out from the commute (which was down to 2 days a week for the last 17 months) that even if they offered it back to me to get me to stay, I would have turned it down. That gig included one trip a week to the office and that was way too often by the time 2008 rolled around.
__________________
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:37 PM   #257
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Finally, something useful...
As it turns out, there will be no doodad this year. This is not making me optimistic about bonus...
__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #258
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,526
I'd like to thank you all for reminding me how relatively awesome my job is. For the last 6 months I'm pretty sure my boss hasn't known I existed (at least we have never spoken or seen each other besides him passing me in the hall one day). We get a new boss Monday, so things could totally change. But I'm planning on some fluffy travel and a BS bonding session a few days after New Boss starts to make sure he starts off on the right foot and likes me a whole lot. And I'm going to work him on getting that raise I really want.

Oh, and we received 2 hot dogs WITH chili at the last annual Employee Appreciation day. They did have canned soda but ran out early before I got one.
__________________
Retired in 2013 at age 33. Keeping busy reading, blogging, relaxing, gaming, and enjoying the outdoors with my wife and 3 kids (5, 11, and 12).
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:01 PM   #259
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
As it turns out, there will be no doodad this year. This is not making me optimistic about bonus...
We got a bone us every year...
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:09 PM   #260
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Amethyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,874
No food (if we want it, we bring it in ourselves), no bonus, no pay raise, and my latest "doo-dad" was a little card with "Hero for The Day" printed on it.

We may be getting into 4 Yorkshiremen territory...next there will be someone who has to pay the company to let them go to work! (Come to think of it, I almost did that myself in my early days...going through an employment agency which took 50% of the first 2 months' pay for the job they "found" for me).

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
As it turns out, there will be no doodad this year. This is not making me optimistic about bonus...
__________________

__________________
If you understood everything I say, you'd be me ~ Miles Davis
'There is only one success to be able to spend your life in your own way. Christopher Morley.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best and Worst Run States in America An Analysis Of All 50 Midpack FIRE Related Public Policy 24 12-10-2011 04:00 PM
Top 10 Worst Tax States for Retirees mickeyd FIRE and Money 31 07-07-2011 03:31 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:53 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.