Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-22-2013, 08:58 PM   #361
Recycles dryer sheets

Looks its going to happen sometime next year. DW and I had a talk about it this weekend. She has seen the mounting toll on my body and mind and if I can show her that our lifestyle will not be adversely affected without my work income... well, I'll be good to start the phase of my life.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2013, 09:54 PM   #362

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
This is a nebulous thing, but it is a nagging doubt/worry every time I show up for work and one of the things I will be happiest to no longer have to deal with once I bail: the dread of being killed at work.
I can relate. I worked on chemical sites for 30 years, the last 20 on a site that had the potential to have a poisonous gas disaster on the scale of Bopal. 6 weeks before I was due to ER I was working at a railcar loading spot and had a minor exposure that actually had me in medical, having my nasal passages flushed with saline. My BP was sky high, not from the exposure, but from the stress of thinking about how close I'd come to a serious injury or even death, so close to the finishing line.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:06 PM   #363
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I can relate. I worked on chemical sites for 30 years, the last 20 on a site that had the potential to have a poisonous gas disaster on the scale of Bopal. 6 weeks before I was due to ER I was working at a railcar loading spot and had a minor exposure that actually had me in medical, having my nasal passages flushed with saline. My BP was sky high, not from the exposure, but from the stress of thinking about how close I'd come to a serious injury or even death, so close to the finishing line.
Ugh, I can well imagine. Any long term effects, or was this just a temporary exposure type thing?

I was home on 9/11/13, but the email I got referencing a "training" that involved lots of unfamiliar vehicles, personnel and dogs that did not give me warm fuzzies. I am also increasingly uncomfortable with the armed officer walkby of the damn cube farm every day. Last week for the first time the k9 dude went by with the bomb-sniffing dog.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:00 PM   #364

Quote:
Ugh, I can well imagine. Any long term effects, or was this just a temporary exposure type thing? I was home on 9/11/13, but the email I got referencing a "training" that involved lots of unfamiliar vehicles, personnel and dogs that did not give me warm fuzzies. I am also increasingly uncomfortable with the armed officer walkby of the damn cube farm every day. Last week for the first time the k9 dude went by with the bomb-sniffing dog.
Fortunately no long term effect, this was one of the chemicals that doesn't do permanent damage in small doses.

Two years earlier I had been in Mumbai and the offices I worked in there had security guards on every floor so I can also relate to how you feel about that as well. The year after I'd been there I was horrified to see the terrorist attacks on the hotel and area I'd visited during my free time at the weekend of my 10 day trip.

Keep Calm and Carry On, you will soon be free and clear
Old 09-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #365
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Around 90% of my adult working life has been spent directly handling explosive devices like bombs (conventional and nuclear) missiles, rockets (doesn't take much to set them off) medium caliber ammunition (20mm, 30mm, 40mm) grenades, pyrotechnics (flares) etc. Usually it was under "normal" conditions, but sometimes under more hazardous situations (30mm ammo jammed inside of gun, ammo casings smashed & torn, with gunpowder sprayed all inside & I had to carefully disassemble the gun to extract the smashed ammo)....things like that....plus extremely close proximity (close enough to touch) to screaming jet engines (why I now have pretty bad tinnitus) and not to mention physical contact on a daily basis with a variety of bad chemicals whose effects on my body have yet to be determined....

Oh, did I mention I've had several episodes of skin cancer, including a recent mohs surgery on my forehead that left a large horseshoe shaped scar.....due at least in part to working outside in the Texas and Louisiana sun every day for 28 years?

Am I bitching....well, I guess not. Nobody forced me to do what I did, and that's life. You follow the path you're on & either you like it or you don't. If you don't, you find another path. Me.....I shoulda pursued my original thought of becoming an attorney...lol. Maybe next time!
Old 09-25-2013, 12:43 AM   #366
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I work in a building that has (at least) hundreds of millions of dollars in it at any given point in time. Armored cars/trucks of cash come and go all day and night, and I have a window view of the parking lot where security kabuki gets played out with dogs, assault rifle toting guards, etc. There have been plenty of times when the building has been surrounded by an angry mob/protesters. There have been times when us lowly employees have had to sneak out the loading dock at the end of the day because the main entrance was unsafe to use. Even to this day, there are from time to time yahoos with bullhorns standing outside the building harranging passers-by about how my employer kills babies or whatever. I am not allowed to have so much as a can of pepper spray on my person as I go in and out due to the presence of cash (i.e. I am a soft target).
I realize it's little consolation, but realize that even 'crazy lunatics' (for the most part) aren't stupid. More than likely, they will see/know that the place is well secured, and that any attempted assault on the building will be met with swift counter-measures. If someone wanted to strike for motives involving either robbery or some crazy reason, they'd likely realize there are far easier, more effective targets to set their sights on that will be easier to have an impact/success with because they will be far less heavily protected.

And if someone doesn't have the faculties to realize that fact, odds are that they would never be able to amount to much of a threat to begin with.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:07 AM   #367
Full time employment: Posting here.

The only thing I like about my job is that its allowing me to FIRE. I started this job four months ago and my manager is worse than yours guaranteed. I was made lead, then this fictitious, unofficial title was thankfully yanked after an unnecessary suspension.

I have been berrated by the manager, told I was overpaid, underutilized, lacking in performance, cocky, arrogant and had a temper.

I've now just decided to put my ass in the seat on the advice of both FIRE and non FIRE folks.

I no longer have a much commute or traffic though so that is good.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:49 AM   #368
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreBonds View Post
I realize it's little consolation, but realize that even 'crazy lunatics' (for the most part) aren't stupid. More than likely, they will see/know that the place is well secured, and that any attempted assault on the building will be met with swift counter-measures. If someone wanted to strike for motives involving either robbery or some crazy reason, they'd likely realize there are far easier, more effective targets to set their sights on that will be easier to have an impact/success with because they will be far less heavily protected.

And if someone doesn't have the faculties to realize that fact, odds are that they would never be able to amount to much of a threat to begin with.
You would think so, but it has not proven to be entirely the case.

- Will Rogers
Old 09-25-2013, 09:58 AM   #369
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

You would think so, but it has not proven to be entirely the case.
I would agree, your comment about being a 'soft target' reminds me so much of Megacorps policies, couldn't have anything like pepper spray, or even a pocket knife with 1" blade. The one thing they didn't ban(out of ignorance I'm sure), was defensive pens. I carried one every day.

MRG
Old 09-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #370
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I would agree, your comment about being a 'soft target' reminds me so much of Megacorps policies, couldn't have anything like pepper spray, or even a pocket knife with 1" blade. The one thing they didn't ban(out of ignorance I'm sure), was defensive pens. I carried one every day.

MRG
My keychain looks like a morningstar.

- Will Rogers
Old 09-30-2013, 08:38 AM   #371
Give me a forum ...

You guys couldn't keep sledgehammers in your offices? No crowbars? No hatchets or machetes?
Old 10-03-2013, 09:56 AM   #372

DW was at her nephew's house yesterday watching the kids and stayed late to avoid traffic getting home. He's a local manager at a cable company and gets up at in the dark to leave for work. During dinner at 6:00 PM he took five phone calls on work-related matters.

I wouldn't last long in that job because I'd turn the phone off.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #373
Give me a forum ...

Ugh, jargon. I just heard someone use the term "wing to wing" on a conference call. I think this means "thorough" or "complete" but as usual we are left to guess. I would have preferred "ass to snout."

- Will Rogers
Old 10-24-2013, 07:54 AM   #374
Recycles dryer sheets

I can't stand the people that are 110% into the rat race. They'll do anything to "get ahead". These people are the most unhuman, selfish, heartless people that exist. Why can't you get ahead by improving and making yourself better instead of attacking others and trying to bring them down? Will not miss that!
Old 10-24-2013, 08:16 AM   #375
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassius King View Post
I can't stand the people that are 110% into the rat race. They'll do anything to "get ahead". These people are the most unhuman, selfish, heartless people that exist. Why can't you get ahead by improving and making yourself better instead of attacking others and trying to bring them down? Will not miss that!
My first job, the company had an 85% retention rate and your promotions were contingent on you training your own replacement from within. Those who were interested in simply getting ahead, left for Wall Street and MegaCorp.

After they got bought out everything went south. My final pre-fire life had too much administrative overhead and culpability without ability...it always your fault but you can't have the tools you need to do the job. Both serious impediments to doing a job right.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:31 AM   #376
Give me a forum ...

<multiple expletives deleted>

I am trying to make it across the finish line without making compromises with myself or letting all of the BS get to me, but the powers that be seem to have the exact opposite aims. The latest is that they want me to fly across the country to attend a 2 hour meeting that finishes at 5PM on a friday in December. Aside from the mind-boggling idiocy of spending something like $1500 to 2k for this boondoggle (how much per minute of this meeting will that cost?), There is no way I will be able to get home that night. So I would be on the road thursday, friday and saturday. I already pushed back and said no to this nonsense. Now they are doubling down and pushing it in my face again. I am beyond pissed. Its clear I will not be allowed to say no to this bullcrap. So my choices are to just go and take the beating(s), or agree, book the trip, and then mysteriously fall ill when I am supposed to leave. The former makes my blood boil, the latter makes me uneasy. These ****ers have backed me into a corner yet again. The only upside to this is that year end (tiny) bonuses should be paid on that friday and I will have finally fully vested in the small pension and 401k match the week before.

I hate this damn place.

- Will Rogers
Old 10-29-2013, 11:29 AM   #377
Full time employment: Posting here.

brewer - How much time do you have until you can FIRE? If it's within a couple months, I'd go ahead and line up the trip, and then (as you mentioned) call in sick, or just not go. Then, when they start to complain and come down on me, I'd quit and walk out. Got to make your everything's fully vested before pulling that, however.

If it's longer than that, well...probably have to go on the stupid trip. But when the time comes to leave, I wouldn't give them any notice at all. Just walk up to the jerk boss and say "I quit. Effective immediately." and walk out.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:39 AM   #378
Give me a forum ...

Brewer12345,

I can empathize, any way your 'only' flight could leave at 4:00 and duck out?

I recall being sent to the UK for a 2 hour meeting on Friday. We had plans so I wanted to get there Wednesday, oh no, you have to spend the week there. Why? Well see how our guys are doing in the UK the CIO wants your opinion. Compliment yes, BS major, CIO never liked to travel alone.

MRG
Old 10-29-2013, 12:00 PM   #379
Give me a forum ...

I am quitting January 2. Most likely I will become the victim of a highly specific ailment.

- Will Rogers
Old 10-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #380
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am quitting January 2. Most likely I will become the victim of a highly specific ailment.
Anal glaucoma?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote