Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-18-2012, 05:28 AM   #21

Firing people to cut expenses. Over the years I let people go for performance reasons and was not bothered that much by it, because substantial effort was first put into helping them do their jobs. Toward the end of my career, we were letting go 10% or 15% of the employees each year. Financial performance was good but it was cut, reduce, and find a way.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2012, 06:37 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBrake View Post
Performance reviews. I bailed out when Megacorp went from semi-annual performance reviews to quarterly performance reviews.
Ouch - quarterly? We do a quick review mid-year then a full review next month. I went from managing 3 people to 8, so this will be more of a chore next month and I am not looking forward to it.

Quote:
Having executives constantly telling me they urgently need a report and I have to be the one who does it, making me feel like the earth will implode if I don't get their TPS report to them by COB today, and then once I perform a minor miracle and clear enough time to do it, they constantly come back either asking for changes (even when I gave them exactly what they asked for) or worse, claim the report is wrong or that a report looking at apples "doesn't match the metric reported" for oranges.
Yeah, this one bugs me the most.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:25 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

1) Ditto on the Performance reviews.
2) Other than that, besides the job duties between 7:50 AM and 4:50 PM, no complaints...................
Old 01-18-2012, 07:32 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

OK, serious this time. I worked in manufacturing my whole career, in no particular order my sleepless nights were most often due to:
  • Worry about potential for a serious injury
  • Worry about a union organizing attempt
  • Worry about layoffs
Fortunately I had very good success with 2-1/2 of them.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:23 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Call
Old 01-18-2012, 08:55 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thMed View Post
Call
What number?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:12 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Having executives constantly telling me they urgently need a report and I have to be the one who does it, making me feel like the earth will implode if I don't get their TPS report to them by COB today, and then once I perform a minor miracle and clear enough time to do it, they constantly come back either asking for changes (even when I gave them exactly what they asked for) or worse, claim the report is wrong or that a report looking at apples "doesn't match the metric reported" for oranges.
Are you sure you don't work at my DW's company?

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Fake people who are actually incompetent in their job yet try to give you "tips" you on the best way to do it because they don't realize you have years of previous experience that they don't have.

Fakeness in general. I appreciate straight shooting and honesty. Both of which are a lost art in the workplace.

Also a neverending regimen of training, again despite previous experience and the total understanding of everything you need to be "trained" on yet it needs to be on paper for it to count. Lessons specifically you could teach to the person training you better than they could you. But I think this is a government/military problem more than anything.

It's like showing up with an MBA and being told, "well that's great but we need to train you on this basic algebra."

End Rant.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

If I cared about my job I would say office politics (caused by the boss). Since I don't really care that much, I have to outwardly appear to be disgruntled/disgusted at the behavior while secretly laughing on the inside because it doesn't really matter - I get my paycheck every 2 weeks regardless.

Other than that, not having a parking space and searching for parking. Only a problem for maybe 2 months in the summer and a couple months in the winter and on the rare occasion when it rains. The other ~8 months, I don't mind nice long leisurely strolls from my parking space (literally) in a different zip code. Especially when I am coming or going to/from a meeting and I can legitimately charge the company for my (wasted) time. Nothing like getting paid to be inefficient and slowly stroll through tree lined streets checking out historic antebellum architecture and taking in the smells of cherry trees, azaleas, dogwoods or what have you. Sorry - a little off topic there - guess I just described the silver lining in "what I hate the most about my job".
Old 01-18-2012, 02:31 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Easily the people I work with. Lady across from me fields calls from her kids all day long and talks to family when not talking with kids. Lady adjacent to me has a wheezing, deep cough that lasts about 4 months every winter. Coughing non-stop, every minute on the minute.
Young girl at the end of the hall calls her parents everyday and tells them about her baby girl, often doing imitations and talking like the baby.

IT'S PURE HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have an iPod and usually use it, but I have to be able to hear my phone, etc. Can't wait to get out of here.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:40 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Toward the end of my career, we were letting go 10% or 15% of the employees each year. Financial performance was good but it was cut, reduce, and find a way.
Trying hard not to make this sound political or ideological, but yes, this is one of the main reasons I want out of Corporate America. No amount of profit is ever enough. If there's any way possible to get one more cent of reported earnings this quarter, no matter how bad for our company in the long run and no matter how many employees, customers and small business competitors we have to screw over to get it, most will do it -- especially publicly traded companies who have to answer to shareholders and not their own conscience. It's no accident that more and more of the employers on the "best places to work" lists are privately held companies.

Even when record earnings are being reported, it's more layoffs, more jobs offshored to India, more cuts in benefits and more wage freezes even as you are expected to work longer and harder because headcount goes down, but the workload only grows.

I just want no part of being a cog in that machine any more. I respect the profit motive. But I think the profit motive needs to respect the humanity of the people it impacts, too.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #32

For me, just watch the movie 'Office Space'

It's funny b/c I used to think I could just escape whatever things annoy me about working at 'x' by job hopping and moving on. Now it just seems to be a rinse and repeat cycle after a year or so of starting a new job at a company.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:09 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Having to take "the pecking order" seriously.

Mihi petra alterius* (already mentioned by others).

*"Bring me another rock" syndrome.

Amethyst
Old 01-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #34

Lots of "good" examples already listed here. Honestly, I can't say that my J*b was all that bad for the most part. It just wasn't all that good. Most of the folks were decent enough, though we certainly had our share of shirkers and useless bosses/subordinates. Management "directives" were a pita from time to time, but they usually faded away when it became obvious that they didn't accomplish the desired effect. My favorite was a plant manger who directed us to log and explain the business reason for every single copy we made - including spoiled copies. That lasted about 3 weeks until it became obvious that it was taking longer to log than to copy - and costing many times more than the occasional "pilfered" copy of a crossword or "today's chuckle". I was known for patience, so was given the bulk of difficult-to-deal-with subordinates (attendance problems, incompetence, unmotivated, untrainable, neurotic, alcoholic, psychotic, etc.) I guess, like others, performance appraisal/yearly planning were my least favorite duties (both giving and receiving). Still, the thing that finally got me motivated to leave was being given an assignment for which I was not really qualified and which would have been boring as well as unrewarding (even if done well). That wasn't the first time such an assignment had come my way. It was, however, the first time I had ER as a viable option. I believe I "chose wisely".

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:55 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
As a federal employee, I get tired of being a political football that gets kicked around during election time. Besides that, I'd have to say boring meetings.
+1, tho I pretty much refuse to go to meetings if I can get away with it. Been pretty successful so far...
Old 01-19-2012, 09:59 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

For me I guess it's the uncertainty, but maybe not what you think. It's not a job security issue, it's a work flow issue.

I work for a great company and with great people, but we never seem to get a game plan nailed down and half the time I'm not sure what I should be working on. I dream of a job where I know what tasks I need to complete for the next couple of weeks and I know they'll be needed/used when I finish them.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:13 PM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think the worst thing wasn't my crappy boss or his need for paperwork. I think it was management waxing poetic about empowering employees to make decisions, be creative and take initiative and then crushing any of that when we actually did. That got so old. Every time you came up with a good idea or a better way to do things, they would either ignore you or praise you and never act on it. I hate the phrase, "Because, that's the way its always been done."

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:14 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

The worst part of my job is actually having to go there!
Old 01-20-2012, 01:54 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill View Post
+1, tho I pretty much refuse to go to meetings if I can get away with it. Been pretty successful so far...
It's been long enough I almost forgot: Back in the day, I always scheduled Dr./dentist appts. and half-day vacation during standing meetings. If all else failed, I asked a subordinate to page me during said meetings - ostensibly to attend to an "emergency". Heh, heh, such a guilty pleasure.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:15 AM   #40

I loved my job and didn't want to stop doing it. There were two aspects of it that I didn't enjoy though:

1) In the last few years before we went out of business, the increasing focus on the numbers (sales, payroll, the monthly profit and loss statement) to the point where it felt as if we were squeezing blood out of a stone. The regular layoffs, and use of existing employees to take on roles of former employees, while continuing to do their own jobs. Along with the impending sense of doom that the ship was slowly sinking, the fun and creativity was drained from the workplace, bit by bit.

2) The one manager who just didn't like me, out of many that I worked for. She was passive-aggressive and disingenuous. Nothing I could do to attempt to get along with her worked. The fact that I was well-regarded within the company probably just made the situation with her worse. I have worked for many managers, both competent and ridiculously incompetent, but all were basically decent human beings. I liked them all, except for this one person who sadly, was very intelligent and capable, which made her even harder to deal with. Ugh. Luckily she was a very small part of what was otherwise a fabulous work experience.