Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #401
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasesfish View Post
Brewer - have you thought about taking the trip and emailing your resignation letter then? I don't know how well the timing works
Another alternative is to do what my mother did, is to drop your letter of resignation on the bosses desk and go off on vacation for the two weeks. Or of course if your really mad get a copy of Take this Job and Shove it, and leave it with the letter.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #402
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Another alternative is to do what my mother did, is to drop your letter of resignation on the bosses desk and go off on vacation for the two weeks. Or of course if your really mad get a copy of Take this Job and Shove it, and leave it with the letter.
Or just take a dump in a paper bag, and leave that with a note attached that reads "Here's your **** back..."

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #403
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Or just take a dump in a paper bag, and leave that with a note attached that reads "Here's your **** back..."
I was thinking more along the lines or leaving a few Annoy-a-trons behind or taking a dump in my desk drawer and breaking the key off in the lock.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #404
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
BTW, at the current j*b (pre-12/14), besides getting up in the am, second worst part part is Sunday evenings like this one...
It's Sunday? Cool! Walking Dead is probably on the DVR. Thanks.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:50 PM   #405
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

BTW, at the current j*b (pre-12/14), besides getting up in the am, second worst part part is Sunday evenings like this one...
It's SUNDAY
Old 11-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #406
Give me a forum ...

I decided to take all my vacation at the end of the year, so now I just have to make it to the end of 12/19.

- Will Rogers
Old 11-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #407
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I decided to take all my vacation at the end of the year, so now I just have to make it to the end of 12/19.
Hopefully it will be a very Merry Christmas!
Old 11-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #408
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Hopefully it will be a very Merry Christmas!
I think so. I am starting to feel like it is all a big coast from here. I figured out that I will have 26 more work days including my planned illness to avoid the pointless trip from hell next month, then I come back from a long vacation and quit. Everyone else I work with is on the road so I decided to work from home for the next couple of days without bothering to inform my superiors.

- Will Rogers
Old 11-05-2013, 10:20 AM   #409

Quote:
I think so. I am starting to feel like it is all a big coast from here. I figured out that I will have 26 more work days including my planned illness to avoid the pointless trip from hell next month, then I come back from a long vacation and quit. Everyone else I work with is on the road so I decided to work from home for the next couple of days without bothering to inform my superiors.
So...if you only have 26 more work days, and I'm assuming you're not going to jump to another job (at least right away), why stay?

If I were in a FIRE'able position, and only had 26 days left, I'd probably go ahead and leave. Assuming I didn't need some form of referral for another job, or something similar.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:27 AM   #410
Give me a forum ...

I think brewer is waiting for a pension to vest.

A severe episode of back pain would be a good reason not to travel.......
Old 11-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #411

Being deposed. I'm in the middle of a day-long one right now.

I'm tired and annoyed, and I've still got 4 hours to go. *sigh*
Old 11-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #412
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post
So...if you only have 26 more work days, and I'm assuming you're not going to jump to another job (at least right away), why stay?

If I were in a FIRE'able position, and only had 26 days left, I'd probably go ahead and leave. Assuming I didn't need some form of referral for another job, or something similar.
A few reasons. I vest in ~$45k of goodies on 12/7. Year end (but small) bonus gets paid out 12/15. If I make it to 1/2/14 I have a month of health insurance to play with while I get set up with the ACA, and there are only 4 work days between 12/15 and 1/2.

- Will Rogers
Old 11-05-2013, 01:02 PM   #413
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
Being deposed. I'm in the middle of a day-long one right now.
I'm tired and annoyed, and I've still got 4 hours to go. *sigh*
Same thing happened to me twice this summer. Since I don't take w*rk seriously anymore, it was actually fun. Further, I actually did extremely well. Sadly, we will lose this case because plaintiff's scum feeding lawyer has us at a disadvantage. I wanted us to win because the case was baseless, was a waste of taxpayer's money, and I wholeheartedly believed--and still believe--plaintiff was lying, and knew he was lying. I do not like being associated with anything I believe to be illegal, unethical, or immoral. At least I won't have to testify at trial because I heard we are going to settle.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #414
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
I was thinking more along the lines or leaving a few Annoy-a-trons behind or taking a dump in my desk drawer and breaking the key off in the lock.
One of our sites was closed a few years back and one of the employees did just that sans breaking off the key. Security had to document the incident and take photographs. Rumor is that when they're in a silly mood, out comes the photo for a good laugh all these years later.

They never did figure out who did it. It wasn't me, I promise

No really, it wasn't.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #415

Quote:
Same thing happened to me twice this summer. Since I don't take w*rk seriously anymore, it was actually fun. Further, I actually did extremely well. Sadly, we will lose this case because plaintiff's scum feeding lawyer has us at a disadvantage. I wanted us to win because the case was baseless, was a waste of taxpayer's money, and I wholeheartedly believed--and still believe--plaintiff was lying, and knew he was lying. I do not like being associated with anything I believe to be illegal, unethical, or immoral. At least I won't have to testify at trial because I heard we are going to settle.
Well, it's over now, so I'm going to treat myself to some pizza and beer or something. I can't say that it was fun, but it wasn't as draining and demoralizing as my first deposition. This was my second. I knew more about how to handle myself this time, and so the lawyer couldn't get me on the ropes the way they did the first time. I was much more guarded in my answers, and I think I did pretty well overall.

Still, it's exhausting and annoying to be asked questions for 6 hours. I'm beat. Our lawyer said I did real well, though, so I guess there's that.

Hopefully, this was my very last deposition. I've been at this job for 16 years and only been deposed twice -- both in the past year.