Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-23-2012, 01:19 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

getting up in the morning. (and Im only half joking about that )

I cant wait until ER when I will sleep when my body is tired, and get up when my body wants to get up.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2012, 03:47 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mill View Post
I cant wait until ER when I will sleep when my body is tired, and get up when my body wants to get up.
Definitely one of the perks of ER. After decades of alarm clock set for 06.00 or earlier, I was surprised that my "natural" getting up time settled in to around 08.15 (it took several months to actually get to that point). I do get up earlier a couple of times a week for one reason or another, but it's not nearly the drag of 5 days a week.

MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:49 PM   #63
Dryer sheet wannabe

180 teenagers every.single.day.

This used to be a good thing. Burn out is very real.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:40 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekward View Post
For me it is easily packing to leave on a business trip (like this week).
Management - Easy commute, pretty normal hours, work with some really
great and intelligent people, but our management is clueless.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Some great replies. It's made me appreciate my j*b, which would be really great except for the travel and work.

At least most people on this site have a plan to avoid being a long term wage slave. I'm amazed at how many unhappy people never take the long term view with a goal of escaping.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Hands down. The commute. I work with great people and am able to be of help to many, but that drive twice a day.....bleh.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:51 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Would say working till 6. My last two jobs I was done at 4 or 4:30 and used to workout regularly afterward.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:15 PM   #68
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

As old as this thread is I've probably answered before, but today I have a new answer.

Was recently 'promoted' to management yet again (I keep wiggling out of it, but it just keeps coming back.) This time it was take the role or risk working for someone that I don't respect.

When I agreed to take the role there were two hiring reqs to add to my staff. Well guess what, there is now a hiring freeze and not only can I not hire, I may have to cut. And of course no work will go away.

So, I'm with Ziggy in the opinion that, in my company at least, there aren't nearly enough people to do the work management expects.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:56 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

I really have a pretty great job, but the thing that gets to me the most is the stress. Just trying to keep up with what needs to get done, the new projects, and the increasing expectations. In a way, these are good problems because they correlate with better performance reviews and pay, but I often wish I could just be a bit less responsible. Only 18.5 years left on my path to retirement

Status: Saving. Started in Oct 2011, I am ~9 months ahead of where I expected to be and about ~3 months ahead of my desired schedule.
studbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:14 PM   #70
Full time employment: Posting here.

the CEO's over-promoted/over-paid/ex-secretary who gets large bonuses and "invests" it into plastic surgery has a 19 yo, pregnant daughter-in-law working in our department who sends out emails every time she will be using the printer/copier for more than 5 minutes at a time instructing the department to get their "copying" done in 20 minutes so she can use the printer/copier. We then get another email letting us know when she is done. My highly sophisticated and detailed time management system has my trips to the copy machine scheduled down to the half hour. (<-sarcasm)

I don't know why this pisses me off, but these 2+ emails per day does for some odd reason.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:26 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65
1) insurance-driven healthcare 2) malpractice 3) obnoxious patients
+1
And 1 + 2 + 3 = STRESS!!!!
Old 04-19-2012, 01:20 AM   #72

Obnoxious dumwit manager, "higher than thou" directors, commuting to and from work, early morning/lunch/late evening conference calls, 360 performance reviews and half-yearly reviews. I don't mind the super urgent requests as long as they all happen during working hours. Even in my second year of retirement, I recall these with much distaste but am thankful these are all in the past.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:03 AM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

1) Commute. 2 hours per day staring at tailpipes.
2) "8 Bosses, Bob". I have to answer to about 12 different persons- None of whom can even remotely consider me as a direct report employee.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:08 AM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Having to work just for health care coverage. I would be so out of there if coverage was affordable independantly.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:24 AM   #75
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

On a week to week basis, business travel. I am tired of travelling and sick of airports.

On a more fundmental basis, I am increasingly goddamn sick of sitting in a gray cube while the world is going on out there.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #76

When I was still working it was meetings. Meetings to plan meetings, meetings to discuss how a meeting went, meetings to discuss ways to cut down on meetings, meetings to discuss how to make meetings more effective.....

Yeah, those several thousand hours of my life that I spent listening to a windbag go on and on about, "here's my latest thinking....".
Old 04-19-2012, 10:00 AM   #77
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejw93 View Post
1) Commute. 2 hours per day staring at tailpipes.
2) "8 Bosses, Bob". I have to answer to about 12 different persons- None of whom can even remotely consider me as a direct report employee.
I have 8 different bosses right now. Bob#1: I beg your pardon. Peter: 8 bosses. Bob#1: 8? Peter: 8, Bob. So that means that when I make a mistake, I have 8 different people coming by to tell me about it. That's my only real motivation is not to be hassled. That and the fear of losing my job. But you know, Bob, that'll only make someone work just hard enough not to get fired.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:32 AM   #78

no complaints... except the traffic
Old 04-19-2012, 10:37 AM   #79
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

1. Special programs, etc. that will 'fix' educational problems and 'fix' students who don't want to learn. Especiall those pushed by wealthy people (many of whom never went to a public school.) After all "if you're rich they think you really know." Tevye from Fiddler on the Roof.

2. Administrators who don't understand their role in education and that having the teachers 'work harder' is not going to fix the problems.

3. No Child Left Behind - a well intentioned idea that turned into No Child Gets Ahead and No Teacher Left Unpunished.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #80
Dryer sheet wannabe

incompetence of coworkers