Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-19-2012, 10:50 AM   #81
Full time employment: Posting here.

Dealing with insurance and patients who text or take phone calls in the middle of treatment.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2012, 10:51 AM   #82

Mean, ornery, people that you need to kiss butt too because that is what we do.

It amazes me how people choose to waste so much energy being mean, rude, and belittling to a basic stranger who has no control over the situation.

Who wants to live life that way? Is that a life?

Old 04-19-2012, 07:58 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
On a more fundmental basis, I am increasingly goddamn sick of sitting in a gray cube while the world is going on out there.
Same for me back then and what I did was I would take a walk out of the office building once a day (excluding the lunch break) - just go out and walk for 10 minutes and come back to office. Surprisingly, I bump into a number of colleagues on the street either having a smoke or coffee or just walking around - so looks like a lot of people could not stand being cooped up in the office building.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:15 PM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
Same for me back then and what I did was I would take a walk out of the office building once a day (excluding the lunch break) - just go out and walk for 10 minutes and come back to office. Surprisingly, I bump into a number of colleagues on the street either having a smoke or coffee or just walking around - so looks like a lot of people could not stand being cooped up in the office building.
That worked for a while. Now that the nice weather is here the homeless and aggressive panhandlers have multiplied and the nutjobs with bullhorns screaming in front of the building I work in have multiplied.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:46 PM   #85
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
... and the nutjobs with bullhorns screaming in front of the building I work in have multiplied.
Are they shouting "Just one more year!!"... or "It's time to go!!"...?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:50 AM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Are they shouting "Just one more year!!"... or "It's time to go!!"...?
Earlier this week they were harranguing passersby something to the effect that my employer was killing babies. Just one of the many perks of where I work.

Better than the constant nagging worry about another terrorist incident in NYC. Plus if push came to shove, Mr. Bullhorn would be getting a kick in the crotch and I would be running the other way. Can't do that with a dirty bomb in Penn Station.

- Will Rogers
Old 04-22-2012, 05:06 PM   #87
Confused about dryer sheets

Deadlines...people set deadlines without knowing the entire scope of the project.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:15 PM   #88
Dryer sheet aficionado

I hate how it takes forever to earn any vacation time. I was sick this entire weekend. All I kept thinking was how I hope I recover in time for work on Monday. If I had even 1 day of vacation time, I would call out tomorrow. Overall I feel much better but will have to suffer through work tomorrow with a nagging cough.

(I will be adding more dislikes in the future as they irk me).
Old 04-23-2012, 09:18 AM   #89

Quote:
On a more fundmental basis, I am increasingly goddamn sick of sitting in a gray cube while the world is going on out there.
The grass is always greener. One of the things that attracted me to police work was that I hated prospect of working in an office.

Sixteen years later an office job looked pretty good after dealing with innumerable idiots, morons, fools and imbeciles. And the criminals were even worse.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:28 AM   #90

Quote:
I do have a window, but yeah, me, too. I've seen a few lucky glimpses of what's happening out there, and it is way better than what's going on in here.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:16 PM   #91
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I do have a window, but yeah, me, too. I've seen a few lucky glimpses of what's happening out there, and it is way better than what's going on in here.
Believe me, it is! Sometimes I wonder how I managed to survive all those years of cubicle life and sitting all the time. Try to do better than me, and get out before you are 61, though.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Stuff like the attached picture from yesterday help a lot with cube time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-04-22 001 019.jpg (604.3 KB, 31 views)

- Will Rogers
Old 04-23-2012, 03:40 PM   #93
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Stuff like the attached picture from yesterday help a lot with cube time.
That needs a "I was here!" arrow...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:47 PM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
That needs a "I was here!" arrow...
That was the view from where I was. Should make good hunting grounds in the fall, too.

- Will Rogers
Old 04-23-2012, 04:35 PM   #95
Administrator

Spectacular, Brewer!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #96
Recycles dryer sheets

Constantly changing Government regulations
Old 04-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #97
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronocnikral View Post
the CEO's over-promoted/over-paid/ex-secretary who gets large bonuses and "invests" it into plastic surgery has a 19 yo, pregnant daughter-in-law working in our department who sends out emails every time she will be using the printer/copier for more than 5 minutes at a time instructing the department to get their "copying" done in 20 minutes so she can use the printer/copier. We then get another email letting us know when she is done. My highly sophisticated and detailed time management system has my trips to the copy machine scheduled down to the half hour. (<-sarcasm)

I don't know why this pisses me off, but these 2+ emails per day does for some odd reason.
LOL
This scenario sounds like it could have made it into the "Office Space" script.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Even when record earnings are being reported, it's more layoffs, more jobs offshored to India, more cuts in benefits and more wage freezes even as you are expected to work longer and harder because headcount goes down, but the workload only grows.
This.

And the now quarterly performance reviews. Which generate the data for the 10-15% cuts. My megacorp has found it's Core Competancy - which is headcount reduction.

And the conference calls with the teams in India at 8:30pm and 5:30 am... so I can train them in my job. Literally, I'm having to wake up early so I can train them in the nuances of my job.... so I can join the 10-15% cuts.

I used to love what I do (engineer)... Now I start dreading the work week sometime mid-Sunday afternoon.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:25 PM   #99
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
This.
I used to love what I do (engineer)... Now I start dreading the work week
sometime mid-Sunday afternoon.
One of my gut reactions to this thread topic was "Sunday Evenings".
Old 04-23-2012, 05:36 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34

The grass is always greener. One of the things that attracted me to police work was that I hated prospect of working in an office.

Sixteen years later an office job looked pretty good after dealing with innumerable idiots, morons, fools and imbeciles. And the criminals were even worse.
I never worked police, but my job entailed working with them. I honestly dont know how you do it long enough to make a career out of it without going crazy, and like you said that is beside the criminal activity you deal with. Another thing that really ticks me off is the media and their headlines. Just 2 days ago I read on that said "Police shoot and kill woman who stole a car". Well you have to read 3 paragraphs down to find out she came out of the car with a loaded pistol pointed at the officers and would not comply with orders to drop it. If you just scan a headline, you think the policemen were trigger happy over a car theft, which was not the reason at all.