Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-19-2013, 11:10 AM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
A new low of absurdity in my cube farm:

..... peep toe shoes are acceptable, but open toe shoes are not.
I had no idea they were different. But what can the visibility of one's toes possibly have to do with one's ability to do the job (assuming, probably correctly, that we are not talking about the construction industry)?

Brewer, in the past I must admit I wondered if you were a diva hard to please. But now I realize that you work in an insane asylum.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #162
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Brewer, in the past I must admit I wondered if you were a diva hard to please. But now I realize that you work in an insane asylum.
No reason I cannot be both.

No, this is about as far from the construction industry as possible. The visibility of one's toes has nothing to do with the job.

I suspect I am a walking dress code violation most days (wearing the khakis with the hole in the butt where my wallet wears at the fabric is probably a no-no).

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:29 AM   #163
Administrator

When I was working, I usually figured that they could even tell me to dress in a clown suit and I'd do it if they paid me enough. So, I never really minded dress codes.

Quote:
I don't even know what a peep toe shoe is.
Here you go:

Peep Toes - What are Peep Toe Shoes?

Quote:
Definition: A peep toe shoe has an opening at the end that shows part of the toes, but not the whole toe line, as other open-toed shoes do.

The opening of a peep toe shoe is usually a wedge or rounded shape that shows only part of some of the toes.

Peep toes, like the ones shown here, show only a hint of toe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg peep_toes_peep_toe_shoes.jpg (6.7 KB, 155 views)

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #164
Give me a forum ...

I am (extremely) married to a woman who generally wears shoes something like this on any given day:

The whole idea of peep toe, etc. is beyond my ken. Are you wearing shoes in the office? Great, I am happy for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Merrell.jpg (239.2 KB, 4 views)

- Will Rogers
Old 03-19-2013, 11:39 AM   #165
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
When I was working, I usually figured that they could even tell me to dress in a clown suit and I'd do it if they paid me enough. So, I never really minded dress codes.

Here you go:

Peep Toes - What are Peep Toe Shoes?
I would be more worried about those heels, to be honest. Major risk management issue. I prefer Mrs. brewer's style!

Old 03-19-2013, 11:45 AM   #166
Give me a forum ...

Another classic:

"The March meeting of the Mid-Career Professionals Mentoring Circle will be Tuesday, March 19, at 3 p.m. in the XXX room and via conference call. The topic will beMeeting Overload, (how to make the best of time in meetings, time management, meeting management, etc.). Bring your questions, best practices and suggestions."

Its a meeting on how to deal with the fact that we have too many meetings.

- Will Rogers
Old 03-19-2013, 11:54 AM   #167
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I would be more worried about those heels, to be honest. Major risk management issue. I prefer Mrs. brewer's style!

That's a good point, and I might have thought differently, had I ever been required to wear heels. We were not allowed to wear sandals, but otherwise they did not care.

I wore running shoes to work, or dressy flats to formal meetings.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #168
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I am (extremely) married to a woman who generally wears shoes something like this on any given day:
I just bought those Merrell shoes in the waterproof Gore Tex version.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #169

I LOVE Mrs. Brewer's shoes! My mid-hikers are Saloman's but I'd love a pair of Merrill's!
I usually wear men's shoes, as the sizing is better and they are more durable than the equivalent in ladies shoes. I've never worn heels. Ugh!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #170
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Another classic:

"The March meeting of the Mid-Career Professionals Mentoring Circle will be Tuesday, March 19, at 3 p.m. in the XXX room and via conference call. The topic will beMeeting Overload, (how to make the best of time in meetings, time management, meeting management, etc.). Bring your questions, best practices and suggestions."

Sometimes it's just hard to believe!
will prob. be a long meeting!
Old 03-19-2013, 12:18 PM   #171
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Another classic:

I might need to PM you and make sure my organization hasn't inadvertently merged with your organization and we are now coworkers. I swear I was cc'd on a very similar email recently...

I think the proper response is to mark that meeting as tentative then schedule something else more important that unfortunately conflicts. There's a time management tip right there for ya.

Although I did just engage in a bit of Dilbertism when I just suggested in a pre-meeting meeting (to prepare for the real meeting tomorrow) that we spend a little time at the meeting tomorrow discussing quantity and length of meetings so as to have longer meetings but less of them so our teams spend less time traveling from out of town. Another free time management tip!
Old 03-19-2013, 12:18 PM   #172
Recycles dryer sheets

I wor$#$with this guy years ago and he told me this story:

He worked for this place and they would call everyone into the meeting room then tell everyone in the room what the meeting was about. Then they would tell everyone if it had nothing to do with them they should leave now.
He said one time when they told everyone if it had nothing to do with them to leave, everyone in the room got up and Left!
Old 03-19-2013, 12:23 PM   #173
Give me a forum ...

"We're having a meeting to determine when the next meeting will be..."

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:51 PM   #174

I've always looked forward to meetings. I worked on a production floor for 11 years doing manual labor for 12hr shifts. A meeting meant actually sitting down for a while. It meant taking out the ear plugs and not sweating in the 90+ degree heat. Granted I was not conducting a meeting I was just attending but meetings were the best part of my job. They were basically an extra break from the hard work.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:52 PM   #175
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Typical...

Honestly, meetings are one of the reasons why I retired early. Couldn't stand wasting my time like that.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:02 PM   #176

I had my share of Dilbert events back in my working days. Two of them arose from one of our corporate executives who paid a visit to our floor just after we relocated to a new building back in the early 1990s. First, he saw my hanging overcoat sticking out from a hook behind a partition in a small space in front of a window at the end of my cubicle. He demanded I either put it on the back of my chair (it was too long, the wheels would run over it) or put it in a coat closet way down the hall. I put it in the closet the rest of the day but then returned it to my cubicle the next day and used that spot for the 10 years we were in that building. I mean, why would some executive care where I hang up my damned coat?

This same executive also gave a coworker down the hall a hard time with the fact that the venetian blinds were raised to uneven levels in a long series of windows. He demanded they be set at the same level. My coworker the next day set them to ascending heights like a staircase. I don't know if the executive coat police-turned blinds police ever saw that.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:11 PM   #177
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I've always looked forward to meetings. I worked on a production floor for 11 years doing manual labor for 12hr shifts. A meeting meant actually sitting down for a while. It meant taking out the ear plugs and not sweating in the 90+ degree heat. Granted I was not conducting a meeting I was just attending but meetings were the best part of my job. They were basically an extra break from the hard work.
This is how cube dwellers feel about a day out in the field.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:31 PM   #178
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
This is how cube dwellers feel about a day out in the field.
Or a "traincation"...

Old 03-19-2013, 01:48 PM   #179
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Or a "traincation"...
I would rather review TPS reports all day than undergo any more training from our training overlords.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:00 PM   #180
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I would rather review TPS reports all day than undergo any more training from our training overlords.
True for in-house training, but back in the good ol' days they used to send us to Silicon Valley to the equipment vendors' sites for training...

Nothing like a free week in the SF bay area!