Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-14-2012, 10:30 PM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I liked loved many parts of my j*b for a lot of years. The negatives eventually added up. I refered to them as "cleaning bird sh*t out of cuckoo clocks". I think I stole that phrase from some here but can't remember who.

My biggest problems were with:
  • Primadonnas: Sorry, yes, you are a high performing employee. Sorry, I can't fire someone for not being better than you.
  • Evaluation: We do 'em HR ignores 'em. Repeat, no wash or rinse necessary. Annecdote: My boss (VP forced out retires (he deserved it), so we get a new VP from another area who I had previously dealt with and there was some mutual respect and a lot of previous interaction. One week into his tenure he calls me in and tells me it's my performance review. I ask "do you have any clue what I do?". He replies "no". I ask "how can you do a performance evaluation, then?". He says "gimme a break, HR demands it". Always wondered what it said.
  • General corporate BS. I worked in IT. So, a user department is interesed in a new system. We go through the details with them, requirements, "nice to haves" etc. Decision made, we build. Budgets approved, staff hired. Some accountant shows up, calls a meeting and declares "cancel that, you should buy XYZ package". Fecal matter in air turbulance device. Disclaimer: This came from former co-worker at Mega-Corp (i've been gone 5 years) but I believe it.
Good to be gone.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2013, 10:22 PM   #122
Dryer sheet aficionado

Lack of eye candy. Haters. Politics. Backstabbing.
GatherYeAcorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:28 PM   #123
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatherYeAcorns View Post
Ditto. And dealing with lazy incompetent people
UserRequested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:03 PM   #124
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
That sums up my work place. So damn tired of being blamed for everything even though it's not my job function. Tired of being scrap goat.

Ready to move on as soon as they give me my servance package.

Once I leave, I think I will do what most of my former co-workers are doing...work 2 years at one company and move to a new company after 2 years because the BS you described exist at every company, but at least the BS will be a different place and not the damn same people.

I wish I had a thick skin and was a back stabber because I would have been an excellent Director!
comicbookgujy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:06 PM   #125
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
I liked loved many parts of my j*b for a lot of years. The negatives eventually added up. I refered to them as "cleaning bird sh*t out of cuckoo clocks". I think I stole that phrase from some here but can't remember who.

My biggest problems were with:
  • Primadonnas: Sorry, yes, you are a high performing employee. Sorry, I can't fire someone for not being better than you.
  • Evaluation: We do 'em HR ignores 'em. Repeat, no wash or rinse necessary. Annecdote: My boss (VP forced out retires (he deserved it), so we get a new VP from another area who I had previously dealt with and there was some mutual respect and a lot of previous interaction. One week into his tenure he calls me in and tells me it's my performance review. I ask "do you have any clue what I do?". He replies "no". I ask "how can you do a performance evaluation, then?". He says "gimme a break, HR demands it". Always wondered what it said.
  • General corporate BS. I worked in IT. So, a user department is interesed in a new system. We go through the details with them, requirements, "nice to haves" etc. Decision made, we build. Budgets approved, staff hired. Some accountant shows up, calls a meeting and declares "cancel that, you should buy XYZ package". Fecal matter in air turbulance device. Disclaimer: This came from former co-worker at Mega-Corp (i've been gone 5 years) but I believe it.
Good to be gone.
I'm on the other end and we're the one requesting new system and spend hours and hours with IT on the request. It gets finalized and new mangement come on board and say "that's out of the budget" and it gets killed.

Corporate BS is just insane. Every 2 years there is new management and you just go back to step one. I can't believe how inefficent corporations are today.
comicbookgujy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:40 AM   #126
Full time employment: Posting here.

This thread brought back awful memories! I hated everything about Megacorp...lack of fresh air, ego driven managers/directors/VP's, the kissing ass syndrome, the drawn out thesis which was your performance review for a 1.5% increase! ARGH!

The only thing that gets on my nerves a little bit now is the amount of laundry I have to do....but I get over it quickly because more laundry equals more money
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:57 AM   #127
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags View Post
Ditto. And dealing with lazy incompetent people
I don't work in Australia!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #128
Dryer sheet wannabe

The only thing I hate about my job is going to my job!
cshaw07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Ah, the latest:

After executing on a plan for the last year and a half and doing a damn good job, we laid down our plan for the next year. It was approved and we started to plunge forward. Yesterday the head office did a complete 180 (with no warning) and told us to tear up the plan, we need to review the outcome of the last 18 months of work, before you do anything you must check with legal, and no, we can't give you any firm guidelines because everything is on a case-by-case basis. As of now, about the only thing I can do on the client site without specific approval from head office legal is take a dump in the men's room (and I am not even sure about that).

Suddenly, I am not allowed to do my job. I hate these people.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Lack of eye candy.
Huh?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #131
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Huh?
LOL!! No cute women/men to look at
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #132
Confused about dryer sheets

hmm.. i work in a hotel and the worst part is having to check in a bunch of drunk blokes who comes to newquay for a stag party. STRESSFUL!
acesmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:47 AM   #133
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicbookgujy View Post
That sums up my work place. So damn tired of being blamed for everything even though it's not my job function. Tired of being scrap goat.

Ready to move on as soon as they give me my servance package.

Once I leave, I think I will do what most of my former co-workers are doing...work 2 years at one company and move to a new company after 2 years because the BS you described exist at every company, but at least the BS will be a different place and not the damn same people.

I wish I had a thick skin and was a back stabber because I would have been an excellent Director!
Amen, brother. You sound like the type of coworker we all should have rather than the sharks we got to deal with at work. That sucks you gotta take a severance package. I hope you get a job that will make you happy
Old 02-08-2013, 12:51 AM   #134
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
LOL!! No cute women/men to look at
lol. I've been working since I was 16 and I've always been lucky to have workplace women that wake you up better than that morning coffee just by looking at them ...Know what I mean? *wink* *wink*

Eye candy boost moral at the workplace

Now?
Old 02-08-2013, 05:54 AM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
lol. I've been working since I was 16 and I've always been lucky to have workplace women that wake you up better than that morning coffee just by looking at them ...Know what I mean? *wink* *wink*

Eye candy boost moral at the workplace

Now?
While I had many attractive looking women in my (former) workplace, the dress code we had until the late 1990s required them to wear stuffy, unflattering formal attire. But when the dress code became "business casual," their attire changed to tighter sweaters, tighter slacks, and some lower necklines.

But the worst part of my job was always the commute, and days like this with the snowy weather were the worst. I am soooooooo glad I don't have to venture outside on mornings on this. I had plenty of them in my 23 years of commuting. The last 7 years were part-time so I dodged some of the bad weather, but I still had my share of bad commutes anyway.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #136
Confused about dryer sheets

I've had 3 jobs in 5 years, and each had the pros and cons. Some of the worst cons I had were:

1st job : 55 min commute on back roads (ie winding 25mph roads going 55mpg to get to work)
2nd job: Great Job! Paid 50% below market value....
3rd job: Tiny cubical in basement where I sit all day infront of the computer.... gaining weight.
BCarpenter87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:47 PM   #137
Give me a forum ...

My job right now:

Pros: I just gave myself a promotion and no one has bucked it yet.

Cons: I haven't managed to give myself a raise to reward me for that hard earned promotion.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:08 AM   #138
Give me a forum ...

The main cons about my job:
- Travel: it was a perk when I started, but 33 years later all of the airports/rental cars/hotels blend into the same big mass. While I don't have to travel as much as I used to (for over a decade it was as high as 50-80%), even now it is something I don't look forward to do.
- Workload: Our organization has gone down around 75% in the last 10 years while our responsibility scope has increased. It means much less ability to specialize and having to be a jack of trades across the board. That includes administrative things. And more than a few weekends I find myself doing things to keep up (reading for the job, sorting emails).

However, the pros:
- Working in a field (IT) that I have enjoyed since high school and is also a hobby.
- Attaining salary and bonuses at levels I'd never thought I'd reach without becoming a commissioned salesperson, manager, or executive
- Getting free access to a ton of software.
- Ability to work from home as I choose.
- I'm not tracked by hours worked but by project accomplishments.

I'm still looking forward to retiring, but I wouldn't object to coming back and working part time if the opportunity came up.
jollystomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:31 AM   #139

[QUOTE=jollystomper;1282063]The main cons about my job:
- Travel: it was a perk when I started, but 33 years later all of the airports/rental cars/hotels blend into the same big mass. While I don't have to travel as much as I used to (for over a decade it was as high as 50-80%), even now it is something I don't look forward to do.

Yep. I've hit the travel wall at year 33 myself. Just got back from a nice vacation and it's back on the road Monday for a long term road trip
Old 02-09-2013, 10:02 AM   #140

Supervisors not much older than my children.