Q: Worst part of your j*b?

Wow. You sound so much like me right now it's just amazing.

Before DW did the RE, her state job had employee appreciation food once in a while. Once it was a dough-nut, another time it was a hot dog. As in singular, and she had to sign for it. Nothing makes one feel so appreciated as having to sign for stale pastry.

Employee appreciation week usually comes with a logo'd doodad. Two years ago it was a collapsible beer cooler complete with prominent logo (weird, but actually useful), last year it was a BBQ implement set that fits into an apron with the logo (I already have at least two of these, but whatever). Given all the static about cost control, I am wondering what it will be this year. Maybe a bong with the logo in honor of MJ legalization in Colorado?

Just focus on the money. That regular paycheck is what you are there for.

Believe me, I do sympathize but AFAIK the above is the best way to handle it.

It would be easier to just think about the money if I weren't already well above the portfolio balance goal I set for myself to hit and check out 4/1/14.

I have to justify my existance to the Navy by participating in the random drug testing every once in a while, and yesterday was the most recent episode. Usually, a junior enlisted guy watches you fill up the specimen container to ensure that everything is legit, and you're not emptying a pre-packaged bag into their container.

So I got there yesterday, and a Captain is the observer. If O-6's who have already commanded squadrons, subs, and ships now get promoted to duties like watching a bunch of dudes pee all morning, then the Pentagon is more screwed up than anyone knew. I guess for that guy, he got tired of making the admiral's coffee and wanted a change.

Last edited:
Brewer12345, your story reminded me of one of my worst days I barely avoided at my old company.

Back in 1989-1991, we had an annual party in which all employees from all the New York City-area office gathered in a large room in a hotel or convention center to have a rah-rah party session for a few hours one afternoon.

For the first 2 years, we had it in lower Manhattan near the main office I worked in but after that second year those who worked in a large office complex in Rockland County (about an hour's drive north on lower Manhattan) squawked, understandably, about the extra travel to and from the party. Some of the employees who worked in that office actually lived closer to our Manhattan office than the RC office but were not able or permitted to shorten their traveling by reporitng to our office instead.

So in 1991 they moved to party from Manhattan to a convention center in Westchester County, a much shorter trip for those who worked at the RC office. But now they had to get everyone from the Manhattan office to Westchester County so they chartered a bunch of buses. They also provided a bag lunch for everyone to eat during the trip. On the return trip, the buses would also drop people off at popular mass transit hubs such as Penn Station and the Port Authority bus terminal.

This arrangement sounded like a total nightmare to me and to many others. While I wanted to attend the party, although not that badly, the added commute and lunch-on-the-bus I wanted no part of. I happened to have a 1/2 vacation day available (although if I hadn't, it would not have changed things) so I opted to use it for the morning part of work and drive up to the party from where I lived, about a 45-minute drive at 11:30 AM when there was no traffic. I would then find a place to eat lunch near the convention center after I arrived and meet up with everyone when the party started. After the party, I would visit a friend who lived nearby for dinner and drive back home after the rush hour.

But my boss originally did not want to grant me the half vacation day. I am not sure why, though. Perhaps he was concerned about others wanting to take a half-day but why that would be bad I do not know. I told him I was not getting on some bus to eat lunch and if I were denied this I would request a full vacation day and just skip the whole event. My boss knew I was serious so he granted me the half vacation day.

Everything went as planned for me. I also used this midweek sleep-in morning to go out the night before, not caring if I got home later than usual. One coworker wanted to hitch a ride with me back home (he lived in my area) but I told him I was not heading right home so that would not work. I arrived home around 8:30 PM after dinner and hanging out with my friend.

When I returned to work the next morning, I heard about the nightmare which ensued on the return trip on the buses. That was during the PM rush hour and it was a disaster. Some coworkers did not get home until after I did! The buses got lost and were not able to get to the transit hubs to drop people off to get home.

The company never held any more of these parties again and nobody was upset about it.

scrabbler1,

Nowadays, many companies have work from home policy. I am working from how now, though isolated. Would you have stayed if there was such policy in your old company?

scrabbler1,

Nowadays, many companies have work from home policy. I am working from how now, though isolated. Would you have stayed if there was such policy in your old company?

Actually, I worked mostly from home for 27 months from 2001-2003. This was the beginning of my 7 part-time years of work. The company, however, ended all open-ended telecommute gigs in 2003 so I had to fulfill all of my hours at the office. I was able to keep the part-time number of hours, though. I knew at the time that this change wold lead to my eventual undoing (i.e. ER) because I absolutely HATED the commute, even 3 days a week. The commute was 75-90 minutes each way on two different train systems. It was long, tiring, and often sickening.

When I finally left the company and ERed in late 2008 (5 years to the day they ended my telecommute gig), I told them in my exit interview that I had become so burnt out from the commute (which was down to 2 days a week for the last 17 months) that even if they offered it back to me to get me to stay, I would have turned it down. That gig included one trip a week to the office and that was way too often by the time 2008 rolled around.

I'd like to thank you all for reminding me how relatively awesome my job is. For the last 6 months I'm pretty sure my boss hasn't known I existed (at least we have never spoken or seen each other besides him passing me in the hall one day). We get a new boss Monday, so things could totally change. But I'm planning on some fluffy travel and a BS bonding session a few days after New Boss starts to make sure he starts off on the right foot and likes me a whole lot. And I'm going to work him on getting that raise I really want. :)

Oh, and we received 2 hot dogs WITH chili at the last annual Employee Appreciation day. They did have canned soda but ran out early before I got one.

No food (if we want it, we bring it in ourselves), no bonus, no pay raise, and my latest "doo-dad" was a little card with "Hero for The Day" printed on it.

We may be getting into 4 Yorkshiremen territory...next there will be someone who has to pay the company to let them go to work! :LOL: (Come to think of it, I almost did that myself in my early days...going through an employment agency which took 50% of the first 2 months' pay for the job they "found" for me).

Amethyst

As it turns out, there will be no doodad this year. This is not making me optimistic about bonus...

We got a bone us every year...

We are ~25 to 30% underpaid vs. the market and the gross amount of the bonus last year was less than the state income tax bill on the last bonus I got when I had a "real" job. But still...

Years ago I had a principal who decided to reward teachers at the end of the year with various gifts - little pink erasers, sparkly pencils and goofy dino stickers - stuff you would give to a 2nd or 3rd grader. I remember the teachers muttering on the way out that he did not seem to know the difference between an adult staff most with advanced degrees, and a bunch of 8 year olds still working on their addition skills.

Best way is to look for another (i.e., better / less worse) job.

Hanging on in not-so-quiet desperation to earn a few bucks is no way to live.

I actually applied for a new job last month. For the first time in my life I had to have a phone interview with an HR person who was screening me, and who knew absolutely nothing about the job. I guess I didn't do so well because when I logged on to their system to check the other day the position was listed as filled. No biggie, really, since I was only half-serious, but it really perturbs me that nobody sends out rejection letters anymore. I have to feel sorry for those folks who really need a job and have to put up with this crap, only to have to put up with more crap after they get a position. They hired a guy with 6 years experience for the "senior engineer" position - I have 31. I think they figured I'd ask for too much money.

The job would have been a bit of a change from what I'm doing now, and since it's state government it would have come with some decent benefits, not the least of which would have been eligibility for retiree group health insurance after only a couple years, and telecommuting. Nice area to live in, too.

Last edited:
I don't know how I will make it through the next 6 to 8 months. I can barely force myself out of the truck in the morning when I get to the train station lot. I wonder how many sick days I can take. I am getting real close to getting back into the truck one morning and disappearing into the mountains with a rifle and a pack.
Hehe! We're on the same schedule, but I work remotely and part of what I do is call into conference calls where I'm completely not needed and so silent. But I'm NOT silent...I just mute my phone and laugh at their CYA, politics, concern about complete BS. What ever happened to just doing the damn job, and doing it well? :facepalm:

When I was in your shoes, one of the things I did was to start counting down the number of Mondays left.

I'm doing that. Starting now!

I actually applied for a new job last month. For the first time in my life I had to have a phone interview with an HR person who was screening me, and who knew absolutely nothing about the job. I guess I didn't do so well because when I logged on to their system to check the other day the position was listed as filled. No biggie, really, since I was only half-serious, but it really perturbs me that nobody sends out rejection letters anymore. I have to feel sorry for those folks who really need a job and have to put up with this crap, only to have to put up with more crap after they get a position. They hired a guy with 6 years experience for the "senior engineer" position - I have 31. I think they figured I'd ask for too much money.

The job would have been a bit of a change from what I'm doing now, and since it's state government it would have come with some decent benefits, not the least of which would have been eligibility for retiree group health insurance after only a couple years, and telecommuting. Nice area to live in, too.

Always could be worse. Check out these stories from the chronically unemployed. 35 weeks of the series and still going strong, afaik. Granted, most of the case studies are total train-wrecks, but some of these will still make you thankful that you have a job.......

.........and btw this is my second post in this wonderful thread, after my first, stating ..."getting up in the morning".

Clickerty... Hello From the Underclass: Unemployment Stories, Vol. One

We just got raises in the 6% range, the first raises since an earlier across-the-board pay cut was reversed six years ago. We're still earning in real terms about 17% less than 2001.

I am earning in the same ballpark of what I made in 2003 inflation-adjusted. Saving grace has been that I had a real job for a while in the interim which paid very well and I relocated to a much lower cost area.

Always could be worse. Check out these stories from the chronically unemployed. 35 weeks of the series and still going strong, afaik. Granted, most of the case studies are total train-wrecks, but some of these will still make you thankful that you have a job.......

.........and btw this is my second post in this wonderful thread, after my first, stating ..."getting up in the morning".

Clickerty... Hello From the Underclass: Unemployment Stories, Vol. One

I thought about quitting my job again, like I do everyday, but I guess I'll stick it out and look at the paycheck after reading those stories.

brewer, how can this be? Why would anyone stay there, if they can make that much more somewhere else? Were you referring to the market country-wide, versus a company in a low-cost area?

Amethyst

We are ~25 to 30% underpaid vs. the market .

brewer, how can this be? Why would anyone stay there, if they can make that much more somewhere else? Were you referring to the market country-wide, versus a company in a low-cost area?

Amethyst

The place I work has employees that tend to be long tenured and the benefits are heavily back-end loaded. So once you have been there for 10 years or more it is painful to start over somewhere else. Management has exploited this by squeezing salaries and it has gotten to the point where pay is compressed. Without getting too specific, we frequently ork closely with people on the same clients doing substantially the same job, but who are in a unionized shop. Those folks get 25 to 30% better pay than we do. Not surprisingly, we have a rather challenging time recruiting.

The place I work has employees that tend to be long tenured and the benefits are heavily back-end loaded. So once you have been there for 10 years or more it is painful to start over somewhere else. Management has exploited this by squeezing salaries and it has gotten to the point where pay is compressed. Without getting too specific, we frequently ork closely with people on the same clients doing substantially the same job, but who are in a unionized shop. Those folks get 25 to 30% better pay than we do. Not surprisingly, we have a rather challenging time recruiting.

Brewer - this sounds extremely similar to the place I work. We are having a demographic problem because of this. The 50 and older crowd are retiring and there's a salary gap between the people newly hired and the folks who've been around for 5-10 years. The company has a full pension, but it's tough for a 35 year old to take a substantial discount now for a small annuity in 20-30 years depending on when they start taking it.

Sounds exactly like the Federal government versus defense contractors.

The place I work has employees that tend to be long tenured and the benefits are heavily back-end loaded. So once you have been there for 10 years or more it is painful to start over somewhere else. Management has exploited this by squeezing salaries ....doing substantially the same job, ... Those folks get 25 to 30% better pay than we do. Not surprisingly, we have a rather challenging time recruiting.

Back
Top Bottom