Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Q: Worst part of your j*b?
Old 01-17-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Q: Worst part of your j*b?

For me it is easily packing to leave on a business trip (like this week).
Tekward is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2012, 04:07 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Having executives constantly telling me they urgently need a report and I have to be the one who does it, making me feel like the earth will implode if I don't get their TPS report to them by COB today, and then once I perform a minor miracle and clear enough time to do it, they constantly come back either asking for changes (even when I gave them exactly what they asked for) or worse, claim the report is wrong or that a report looking at apples "doesn't match the metric reported" for oranges.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:18 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Being given an impossible deadline, so I need to make an extraordinary effort - like very late hours or weekend work - only to find after I meet the deadline that the project wasn't so urgent afterall and there is another week for them to request new changes they only just thought of after seeing the "completed" work they originally asked for.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:28 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I can't remember!

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Having executives constantly telling me they urgently need a report and I have to be the one who does it, making me feel like the earth will implode if I don't get their TPS report to them by COB today, and then once I perform a minor miracle and clear enough time to do it, they constantly come back either asking for changes (even when I gave them exactly what they asked for) or worse, claim the report is wrong or that a report looking at apples "doesn't match the metric reported" for oranges.
+1. And then when they like the report, they ask for it every week, just in case some other executive asks a similar question again. On top of all the other reports they've asked for once and wanted to get every week.

Anecdote: I was in exactly this situation after I decided (but before I announced) that I was ERing. After 4 tries got the report that the boss's boss wanted, then she asked for it every Friday. Sent it to her 4 times, then had one of those Fridays where everything hit the proverbial fan so didn't get it done. She didn't ask for it on Monday, or Tuesday, or...so I didn't do it the next week either. Finally after about 3 weeks she asked where it was - I told her the truth (that since she hadn't asked for it after several days I thought it was no longer needed) and she said "well, I guess you are right, if I need that information again I'll just ask for it". Unfortunately, before I decided to ER, I probably wouldn't have had the guts to do that.
MBAustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:37 PM   #6

As a federal employee, I get tired of being a political football that gets kicked around during election time. Besides that, I'd have to say boring meetings.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:38 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I can't remember!
No rubbing it in!!

Somebody has to get up early to make the doughnuts!
Tekward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:39 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I can't remember!
That doesn't sound much like a response from a guy who has been hinting retirement may not have been a good choice....
Old 01-17-2012, 05:17 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
That doesn't sound much like a response from a guy who has been hinting retirement may not have been a good choice....
Not true actually. However I am guilty of pushing back whenever it's suggested that retirement is the only option that makes sense once anyone reaches FI, or as another member here paraphrased it 'anyone who chooses to work is retarded.' If someone is lucky enough to get paid to do work they truly enjoy for whatever reasons, that choice is perfectly respectable.

End of hijack...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Guess I misinterpreted your comments...
Old 01-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

talking to people
ronocnikral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:58 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Performance reviews. I bailed out when Megacorp went from semi-annual performance reviews to quarterly performance reviews.
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:02 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Chronic fatigue.

Closely followed by "weekend duty"... Sundays with a Monday underway were the worst. Hmm-- I wonder if there's a causation of the correlation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
After 4 tries got the report that the boss's boss wanted, then she asked for it every Friday. Sent it to her 4 times, then had one of those Fridays where everything hit the proverbial fan so didn't get it done. She didn't ask for it on Monday, or Tuesday, or...so I didn't do it the next week either. Finally after about 3 weeks she asked where it was - I told her the truth (that since she hadn't asked for it after several days I thought it was no longer needed) and she said "well, I guess you are right, if I need that information again I'll just ask for it". Unfortunately, before I decided to ER, I probably wouldn't have had the guts to do that.
Navy training command HQ used to ask us to submit weekly timecards for all our instructors. (Yeah, but they sure weren't documenting overtime.) One week I forgot and nobody pinged me. Two weeks. Three weeks. So I got ratey and decided to see how long it took for someone to catch on.

Nearly a year later I was asked where my timecards were, and I said "Why? You clearly didn't miss them." We found out that HQ was using them to set the rates that they'd charge foreign countries to train their military students. I was admonished (with a lot of finger-shaking) that it would be OK for me to "hold timecards on station" in case we were asked for them. I transferred to a new training command before that happened.

I did the same thing at the new training command, with the same results. After three years the HQ staff was visiting for an administrative inspection. As we were doing a record review I said "Hey, let me tell you about this funny story." In front of my XO's horrified eyes I revealed the timecard delinquency that I'd perpetrated at two commands. With a frown, the HQ guy said that he'd look into it. The subject never came up again. A few months later HQ announced that the timecards were no longer necessary and did away with the system.

You could only get away with this subversive behavior if your career was already over. If you were still bucking for a promotion then you didn't dare leave yourself open to criticism or, even worse, "damned with faint praise" on your next fitness report.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #14

Definitely busting your ass(ets) off day in and day out, while some schmuck co-worker (sitting in the cubicle next to you) pushes his pencil around, spends hours typing on his keyboard, and shoves every bit of work onto a subordinate to do.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:30 PM   #15
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Interacting with all sorts of people with different levels of authority; big building with hard floors, bright lights, much talking, too many people with too much perfume.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:44 PM   #16

....when management has bright ideas without direct knowledge or experience

....management math of 4 untrain/unskilled employees does not equal a well oiled machine for a 1 week project, too much lost time explaining and training. Just let me bring in an experience contractor with a reasonable bill rate.

....management babble, I don't take my laptop home, I just stay 'til 7 or 8 each night
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:09 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

For me it was the commute. Plain and simple, I neded to eliminate it, not just reduce it.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:29 PM   #18

Nasty managers and cow*rkers. But then you probably knew that.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:40 AM   #19

All of the above, but the one that really gets me down is having to fire people. Usually its someone we are glad to see the back of but occasionally its someone I like
Old 01-18-2012, 03:11 AM   #20

1) insurance-driven healthcare 2) malpractice 3) obnoxious patients
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote