Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-02-2010, 02:04 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Getting your foot in the door is valuable.
If you think you may like the job, figure out how much you would like to realistically make. Or shoot for middle of the salary band. Use that figure to negotiate with.

I'd be worried to negotiate too much, with the unemployment, recession, etc.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2010, 03:14 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

OK guys, I worked in corporate HR... although I have been retired a long time.

There is NO WAY an offer would be made close to or above mid-point unless the new hire is a seasoned professional for this specific job or an 'individual contributor' who is a leader in the profession.

In most mega-corps an offer less than the minimum would only be made if the person hasn't demonstrated that they can fill all the requirements but should be able to in a matter of a couple months. This usually requires sign-off by HR and Division management. It is possible that corporate compensation has noted that wage levels have fallen in this economy and rather than conduct a wholesale salary survey is authorizing offers a % below the current pay range.

The problem today is that candidates have little leverage. All things being equal the smart move is to accept the position with the higher grade even with the same pay as the % increases to mid-point will be higher. On the other hand, if you can find out, a job with a higher career ladder (one that you can realistically climb) it optimal.

Future raises will be based on current pay. It may be necessary to change employers in the future to get off megacorp 1's pay track, the bump paid would be more than your current employer's increases.

None of this addresses the job itself or the workgroup. A great mentor in a supportive workgroup is gold.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:31 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post

None of this addresses the job itself or the workgroup. A great mentor in a supportive workgroup is gold.
Brat makes good points, but I think this maybe the most important one. Money is certainly important, but having good bunch of fellow co-workers is worth a lot of gold IMO. If you like the folks I'd certainly be willing to take less money.

The golden rule (those who have the gold, rule) always applies to corporations but more now than anytime in my lifetime. Partly by necessity (bad economy) and partly because they offer the all important paycheck and benefits As you well know contractors are very vulnerable, when managements says you need to cut your budget and headcount by X%, firing contractors was way way way easier than trying to figure out who you had layoff. This is true even when you knew the contractor was better than some of your permanent employees.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:12 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks to everyone for the input. I will be updating as the situation dictates. Megacorp offers me a great opportunity with good management, and work I enjoy. dont hate. Long term, I know its the right choice, regardless of starting salary. I just have to keep reminding myself of that.
Today I talked with the hiring manager some about the job description and further expectations. Very good vibes, but no formal offer as of yet. Ive been thinking all day...I hope they dont offer me lower than the minimum X because I still dont want to have to make that decision. Then I read this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
OK guys, I worked in corporate HR... although I have been retired a long time.

In most mega-corps an offer less than the minimum would only be made if the person hasn't demonstrated that they can fill all the requirements but should be able to in a matter of a couple months. This usually requires sign-off by HR and Division management.
Thats exactly the type of info I am looking for! Thanks Brat! If its true with this megacorp, then an offer below the minimum will be a non-issue.

Then again, why the HELL would the hiring manager say to me that the minimum X would be a hard sell to HR?

Maybe they want me to be surprised and grateful to be started out making X? That would make sense if their goal is to discourage me from further negotiations, and just accept it thinking..."oh, phew, not less than minimum. thank God". Just thinking out loud here.

Feasable?
Old 08-02-2010, 09:50 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mill View Post
Thanks to everyone for the input. I will be updating as the situation dictates. Megacorp offers me a great opportunity with good management, and work I enjoy. dont hate. Long term, I know its the right choice, regardless of starting salary. I just have to keep reminding myself of that.
Today I talked with the hiring manager some about the job description and further expectations. Very good vibes, but no formal offer as of yet. Ive been thinking all day...I hope they dont offer me lower than the minimum X because I still dont want to have to make that decision. Then I read this...

Thats exactly the type of info I am looking for! Thanks Brat! If its true with this megacorp, then an offer below the minimum will be a non-issue.

Then again, why the HELL would the hiring manager say to me that the minimum X would be a hard sell to HR?

Maybe they want me to be surprised and grateful to be started out making X? That would make sense if their goal is to discourage me from further negotiations, and just accept it thinking..."oh, phew, not less than minimum. thank God". Just thinking out loud here.

Feasable?

Salary negotiations may or may not be negotiations... I remember asking for 45k, my hiring manager said that was higher than they had the position slated for, my response was make the best offer you can, and it came in a little lower, but was good enough. I knew it was right company to work for at that time in that market place.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:06 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mill View Post

Feasable?
Remember the rest of the paragraph... HR may have decided that the comp market is now lower than at the time of their last survey so they have told managers that the range is now x% lower. They may be pushing hiring managers to low-ball.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:50 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I wanted to follow up on this. A month later. Today I was offerred the higher paying of the 2 jobs. Salary X. The minimum salary for that job. Sorry for the false alarms. Office politics and rumors had me concerned over nothing.

Tomorrow I will be accepting. Hiring manager, who I know on a personal level, was kindof disappointed (hopefully not offended) that I didnt accept the verbal offer right away.

Anyway Im happy, and things worked out well. Thanks everyone who responded.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:12 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats.

Oh yeah, and get used to the office politics and rumor mill. It doesn't go away, you just learn to recognize it better (if you are smart).