Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Ramblings of dreamer
Old 09-01-2005, 11:56 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

All I know is that since I started visiting this forum, my productivity at work has dropped about 50%. The primary reason is that I now spend a lot more time daydreaming and planning for retirement than I do taking care of the work that pays my bills. I get depressed that I'm unproductive, and my depression makes me even more eager to retire, so I fantasize some more. It's a downward spiral, and it's dangerous. I definitely won't be able to retire early if I get fired for being unproductive.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2005, 12:27 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

SLC, maybe your answer is what you said above: In fact, stop frequenting this forum. You're going to make yourself sick.

For you young dreamers, how much of the reason you want to ER is due to disliking your job? Why is ER a goal? Or is it?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 12:53 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
SLC, maybe your answer is what you said above: In fact, stop frequenting this forum. You're going to make yourself sick.

For you young dreamers, how much of the reason you want to ER is due to disliking your job? Why is ER a goal? Or is it?
For me, work is o.k., but I am a profoundly lazy person. The only reason I have seen any success is some things don't feel like work to me. Oh, and DW saying she would cut me off if I didn't finish my degree and get a real job helped motivate me too. There is just so much I want to do that work gets in the way of, even though most of it would fall into the category of "doing nothing" in some eyes. I have always gravitated towards feast/famine type work, because I get easily bored with slow and steady.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:38 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
SLC, maybe your answer is what you said above:* In fact, stop frequenting this forum.* You're going to make yourself sick.

For you young dreamers,* how much of the reason you want to ER is due to disliking your job?* Why is ER a goal?* Or is it?
Yep, I know you're right. But I'm addicted. One of these days I'll go cold turkey and never post again.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:03 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Tortfeasor
Yep, I know you're right. But I'm addicted. One of these days I'll go cold turkey and never post again.
Moderation, moderation.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 06:58 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I practice moderation in moderation.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:49 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I noticed my productivity drop drastically soon after I started visiting this place. That was about the time our labor contract was beign negotiated, the bosses idea of negotiations was "NO" and our unit accepted it. So I don't know if it's this place or the bad contract I work under. Either way I thought of getting out and staying out is very consuming. I just hope house prices stay high for a few more years so it'll hasten my exit.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:05 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire
I noticed my productivity drop drastically soon after I started visiting this place.
Yep, this forum is not conducive to high producitvity levels. That's one reason I never logged on to this site while at w*rk. But I'm making up for lost time now.

REW

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 09:36 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric
Iím only 32, and I am planning/hoping to retire within 3 years, but man, 3 years just seems so far off.* *The thought of retiring just consumes me right now, and the thought of working for *another* 3 years is frankly depressing.
Maybe this consuming depression can be put to good analytical use. If you're going to spend the time here then perhaps it's best spent learning how others have gotten through their own time before ER.

If you compare your situation with the info from other's experiences on this board, is the timeline really three more years? Is there a way to cut it shorter or to back off the current pace at the compromise of stretching things out a couple more years?

FWIW the time AFTER your ER goes a lot faster. I've just started my 40th month of ER, my former job has already turned over twice since I did the turnover, and three years seems like last week. The trick is for you to make your next three years seem like they go like that too...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote