Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Re: Will
Old 11-07-2006, 02:39 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Re: Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azanon
She knows what life insurance policy I have. She "thinks" 100K is a lot and probably assumes those million dollar policies are just for rich people.

We're not the average finanically savy people here. With respect to just finances, my wife is average though, and that leaves me in a position to do pretty much what i want.
Azanon
$100K WAS A LOT........in 1960...........
__________________

__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Will
Old 11-07-2006, 11:02 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 927
Re: Will

Quote:
If i offered everything i have including my son (to my dad) in the event that we both died, do you think I should ask him to pay for the will? Have you ever heard of such an arrangement? We have a good relationship so i dont want to come across like a jerk, lol.
I (at 49 years old) take care of my own expenses. My sister, at 48 years old, runs to Papa for help because she hasn't yet figured out how to manage her finances.

She gets a few bucks now and then and gets told how to run her life. I get treated like an adult, taken into confidence on financial matters, and am respected for my advice and opinions.

Decide how you want to be treated by other adults, and you'll have your answer.
__________________

__________________
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Will
Old 11-08-2006, 07:10 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,505
Re: Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
$100K WAS A LOT........in 1960...........
Regardless, you can bury about 10 people even today with $100K; at least here in AR. And that's with a plot and a casket.

If your wife is set for life with your life insurance policy, make sure and not pi** her off too bad, or you make check out a little early. I feel more comfortable with one less motive being there =p.

My advise is whatever life insurance policy one picks, dont create a situation where you're worth more dead than you are alive. That just fails the common sense test.
__________________
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Will
Old 11-08-2006, 09:49 AM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Re: Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azanon
Regardless, you can bury about 10 people even today with $100K; at least here in AR. And that's with a plot and a casket.

If your wife is set for life with your life insurance policy, make sure and not pi** her off too bad, or you make check out a little early. I feel more comfortable with one less motive being there =p.

My advise is whatever life insurance policy one picks, dont create a situation where you're worth more dead than you are alive. That just fails the common sense test.
Life insurance is NOT about burial expenses, it's about INCOME REPLACEMENT, and to a lMUCH LESSER extent, you can do some wealth transfer things with it if you end being very wealthy. For most people, it's a cost incurred for a finite period of time.

If you're not carrying life insurance because you think your wife would prefer you dead over being there with her, those are TRUST issues NOONE on here can help you with...................
__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Will
Old 11-08-2006, 09:52 AM   #65
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 36
Re: Will

You can get a really good idea of the maturity level of some folks by the kind of reasoning that they make.
__________________
bdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Will
Old 11-08-2006, 12:37 PM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,505
Re: Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdk
You can get a really good idea of the maturity level of some folks by the kind of reasoning that they make.
Who are you talking to? Regardless, if you think about it, doesnt this go without saying?
__________________
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Will
Old 11-08-2006, 12:39 PM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,505
Re: Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
Life insurance is NOT about burial expenses, it's about INCOME REPLACEMENT
Oh it is for you? I didnt realize that was a specific rule for what life insurance is intended for.
__________________
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Will
Old 11-08-2006, 12:57 PM   #68
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,505
Re: Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdk
You can get a really good idea of the maturity level of some folks by the kind of reasoning that they make.
This is going to cause the thread to drift, but I want to answer whether you're talking to me or not. I assume you are talking to me since it is obvious that the gang mentality has me mostly speaking by myself here, and the rule of gang mentality says you'll statistically join the masses.

What constitutes maturity is different for everyone, and what is immature to some is mature to others. I willfully allow some things in my life that i have no doubt that older, and/or more conservative individuals would consider "immature behavior". They would, of course, neither be right or wrong, because the whole concept of maturity is subject to opinion.

Am i successful? I think so, but that's also an opinion. Am I happy? Absolutely. If these things are true, then is maturity (or lack thereof) really that relevant to anything?

__________________
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Will
Old 11-08-2006, 01:01 PM   #69
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
Re: Will

What is the sound of one ego clapping?
__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Will
Old 11-08-2006, 02:19 PM   #70
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Re: Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azanon
Oh it is for you? I didnt realize that was a specific rule for what life insurance is intended for.
Well, in my case I have two sons of minor age. My wife and I both work, as she has a job that pays well and that she enjoys. I do make substantially more than her, but we are very concerned about our children's well-being, and feel term insurance was a way to sleep better at night should either one of us or both die prematurely, before we have enough assets positioned that we do not need life insurance.

If my wife dies, I can make enough income that my children will not suffer a decrease in standard of living, have to sell the house, etc., without life insurance. However, I would use the life insurance proceeds to completely fund their education, allow them to get a jump start in life, etc.

I realize that is my choice, but a choice a lot of other people make too. If you think $100K is enough life insurance, that is fine. You would not be the only one in America carrying little or no life insurance. That being said, I do not regard the small pittance I pay in premium to be excessive. Too each their own..............
__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Will
Old 11-08-2006, 02:24 PM   #71
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Brat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 5,914
Re: Will

Agree, FinanceDude
__________________
Duck bjorn.
Brat is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Will
Old 11-08-2006, 03:08 PM   #72
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,505
Re: Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
Well, in my case I have two sons of minor age. My wife and I both work, as she has a job that pays well and that she enjoys. I do make substantially more than her, but we are very concerned about our children's well-being, and feel term insurance was a way to sleep better at night should either one of us or both die prematurely, before we have enough assets positioned that we do not need life insurance.

If my wife dies, I can make enough income that my children will not suffer a decrease in standard of living, have to sell the house, etc., without life insurance. However, I would use the life insurance proceeds to completely fund their education, allow them to get a jump start in life, etc.

I realize that is my choice, but a choice a lot of other people make too. If you think $100K is enough life insurance, that is fine. You would not be the only one in America carrying little or no life insurance. That being said, I do not regard the small pittance I pay in premium to be excessive. Too each their own..............
My wife's worries ended when she married me (and, as a result, my family). I dont know how many times i have to state this for it to sink in. She is, in effect, part of my family and if i died, there is no doubt in my mind that would not change.

If my dad would offer to send my best friend (just a child friend) to college without having to repay him, how much more would he be willing to take care of his grandson and the daughter-in-law that he loves?

You buy life insurance because you need it, and it sounds like you need it having no fall-back, financedude. I have a basic term policy myself, and that's probably overkill.

One situation does not fit all, and if you're worth anything as a financial manager, then you should realize this.
__________________
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Will
Old 11-08-2006, 03:18 PM   #73
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Re: Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azanon
You buy life insurance because you need it, and it sounds like you need it having no fall-back, financedude. I have a basic term policy myself, and that's probably overkill.

One situation does not fit all, and if you're worth anything as a financial manager, then you should realize this.
I used to be almost evangelical about having enough life insurance coverage for my clients. Many people can buy CHEAP group term through their employer, with no evidence of insurability, and at a discounted rate (employer gets a tax break to provide). One of my clients bought an extra $250,000 of term life for $3.66 a month.

Funny you should question my worth, perhaps you could share your wealth of knowledge with me?? I certainly am not as intelligent as many on this forum, but one of the things I do share on here is real life scenarios I have encountered in the course of working with clients. I would say 75-80% of all working folks don't KNOW their benefits or don't take advantage of them.............

Perhaps you should view my input not as a personal attack but as advice freely given which does not have to be followed. Read my disclaimer, and learn from that..........
__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Will
Old 11-08-2006, 03:36 PM   #74
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,505
Re: Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
I used to be almost evangelical about having enough life insurance coverage for my clients. Many people can buy CHEAP group term through their employer, with no evidence of insurability, and at a discounted rate (employer gets a tax break to provide). One of my clients bought an extra $250,000 of term life for $3.66 a month.

Funny you should question my worth, perhaps you could share your wealth of knowledge with me?? I certainly am not as intelligent as many on this forum, but one of the things I do share on here is real life scenarios I have encountered in the course of working with clients. I would say 75-80% of all working folks don't KNOW their benefits or don't take advantage of them.............

Perhaps you should view my input not as a personal attack but as advice freely given which does not have to be followed. Read my disclaimer, and learn from that..........
I would love to view your responses not as personal attacks, but there have been a few of them so far. If you want to end the personal attacks, I'm more than willing to reciprocate.

I didn't question your worth at all. What i did was assume that you bougth a policy that you needed; which would be a compliment to you. The alternative would have been an insult (that you pay for policies you dont need), and i didn't choose that alternative. I have presented the reasons why i dont need the same level of life insurance coverage that you think you need, so that's really all I can do. I hope i dont actually die just so it can be proved in practice that my wife and son's financial needs will still be met by what I leave, themselves and those survivors that love them.

Yes, 75-80% (probably more really) have very little grasp of their overall financial situation. I know this because i work around people that i know probably dont save much, have massive credit debt, probably a warranty on everything in their house, etc etc etc. I'm not with the crowd, and i realize neither are you. In the grand scheme of things, the folks here are just (financial) elites arguing amonst themselves.

You should dig up the net worth polls. The average person here is very successful.
__________________
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Will
Old 11-08-2006, 03:45 PM   #75
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
Re: Will

financedude, you are wasting your time talking to this narcissistic peckerhead. He doesn't give a rat's patoot about anyone other than himself (and he is "powerful" ), and nothing you tell him will change that.


Life will put a part in his wake at some point.
__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Will
Old 11-08-2006, 03:46 PM   #76
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Re: Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azanon
I would love to view your responses not as personal attacks, but there have been a few of them so far. If you want to end the personal attacks, I'm more than willing to reciprocate.
That is the hindrance of the Internet, people often can't tell if someone is being facetious, taking a shot, or whatever.

As you may notice, 99% of the forum has chosen at this point to ignore our little diatribe, they have moved on. Perhaps it is time for us to close this thread, and move on too.....................
__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Will
Old 11-08-2006, 03:48 PM   #77
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,505
Re: Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
That is the hindrance of the Internet, people often can't tell if someone is being facetious, taking a shot, or whatever.

As you may notice, 99% of the forum has chosen at this point to ignore our little diatribe, they have moved on. Perhaps it is time for us to close this thread, and move on too.....................
That's true, and maybe i'm not being totally fair. Perhaps I assumed guilt by association (since you were posting alongside Brewer). There is no question Brewer (verbally) attacks me from time to time. You actually seem like a nice guy, now that I think about it
__________________
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Will
Old 11-08-2006, 04:07 PM   #78
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Re: Will

I like Brewer, he cracks me up all the time. Funny thing is, he is like a big brother, although I am older than him.

He ripped on me pretty good when I first joined the forum. I think between my posts, and some PMs we have sent back and forth, we are not as different as we both thought, although he is no doubt a happy man today, and I'm feeling like a whipped dog after last night's results..........
__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Will
Old 11-08-2006, 04:18 PM   #79
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
Re: Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
I'm feeling like a whipped dog after last night's results..........
FWIW< I actually hope both sides decide that the best way to go is bipartisan compromise. That's what has been missing for years.
__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Will
Old 11-08-2006, 04:23 PM   #80
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,138
Re: Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
FWIW< I actually hope both sides decide that the best way to go is bipartisan compromise. That's what has been missing for years.
I'm gonna have to mark this day on my calendar...I agree!

__________________

__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:16 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.