Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-22-2015, 07:41 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I retired 2 years ago at 38. Best decision of my life with absolutely no regrets.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
diehard1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2015, 08:36 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehard1997 View Post
I retired 2 years ago at 38. Best decision of my life with absolutely no regrets.

I'm 37, hoping to be out around 40. I won't call it a "decision" until i weather at least one bad market.

dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:39 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It is too late for me to retire really early, but I suggest ways to do it to our adult children, having learned from our mistakes.

Like Robert Shiller's advice to keep living like a student and pile up the money -

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-in...231354246.html
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:57 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas27 View Post
I'm 37, hoping to be out around 40. I won't call it a "decision" until i weather at least one bad market.

That's a smart way to look at it. The downturn in 08-09 was certainly an eye-opener watching significant "paper" loss.

Having a large buffer seems to be the only way to mitigate this type of fear. Keeping WR below 2% helps me sleep at night.

diehard1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 02:39 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

We are aiming for 6 years where I'll be 45 (H will be 43).
iam21177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:40 PM   #26

People will talk! Ha ha.

Background: I retired at age 41 (now 49) and have mostly lived abroad for the last 8 years, visiting the USA for 1 to 2 months per year. I have lived in Thailand, Colombia, Mexico, and the Philippines. I now have Permanent Residency in the Philippines and have lived there for almost four years.

Here are the stages of thinking about me that my family has gone through (according to what my mom told me just the other day). Over time, each rumor was dispelled only to be replaced by another one.

I: Kramer must be piss-poor as he is living abroad in cheap countries and must be counting pennies.

II: Kramer might be secretly working for the US government. He is living abroad in strange countries (e.g., Colombia), learning languages, keeping fit, living a good lifestyle. [Even my Colombian friends secretly believed this one for awhile]

III: Kramer must be gay. Only that could explain why he would live like that. The girlfriends of his that we have met were probably a front.

IV: Kramer is wasting a great mind. He should be doing something more productive with his life.
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:07 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Forum rules prohibit me posting a link to my blog where I go into great detail on my budget, but here's a table showing where we spend our money.
She didn’t have to reuse dryer sheets, rinse and re-use her ziplock bags, or make her own laundry detergent to retire at 44

Reuse dryer sheets, where did you get that silly idea
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 09:49 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
People will talk! Ha ha.

Background: I retired at age 41 (now 49) and have mostly lived abroad for the last 8 years, visiting the USA for 1 to 2 months per year. I have lived in Thailand, Colombia, Mexico, and the Philippines. I now have Permanent Residency in the Philippines and have lived there for almost four years.

Here are the stages of thinking about me that my family has gone through (according to what my mom told me just the other day). Over time, each rumor was dispelled only to be replaced by another one.

I: Kramer must be piss-poor as he is living abroad in cheap countries and must be counting pennies.

II: Kramer might be secretly working for the US government. He is living abroad in strange countries (e.g., Colombia), learning languages, keeping fit, living a good lifestyle. [Even my Colombian friends secretly believed this one for awhile]

III: Kramer must be gay. Only that could explain why he would live like that. The girlfriends of his that we have met were probably a front.

IV: Kramer is wasting a great mind. He should be doing something more productive with his life.

My parents definitely think that I am wasting my not-so-great mind and that I should be doing something more productive with my time. Recently my dad also said that I was being a bad role model for my younger sister who has been unemployed for 2 years and has shown little motivation to find a new job.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:09 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
My parents definitely think that I am wasting my not-so-great mind and that I should be doing something more productive with my time. Recently my dad also said that I was being a bad role model for my younger sister who has been unemployed for 2 years and has shown little motivation to find a new job.
I'm blessed with 2 parents that never particularly cared for their jobs. They get it, and one just retired with the other making plans for 1-2 more years (completely unnecessary years most likely).

And in my case, my parents feel my history of working hard, saving, then retiring very early is being a great role model for my questionably employed older brother who kind of flits from job to job (getting laid off or fired within a year or two).
Old 06-25-2015, 11:49 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
People will talk! Ha ha.

Oh goodness! That is sad that people have to think these things up.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:27 PM   #31

Quote:
I don't think they even have to --think them up.-- It seems to flow quite naturally from them.
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 12:31 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginadog View Post
Gossip and speculation, especially as to exactly how others have gone wrong, is a bedrock human activity. On E-R.org we do it all the time, when we throw off on all the unwashed who do not LBYM, or Bogleize their investments, or whatever. Since we do it unto others, why should we expect that they don't look at us with the same critical eye?.

Ha
Old 06-25-2015, 12:38 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Just to clarify, the gay part wasn't sad. Not at all! Just that some people can't be happy for someone else's achievements.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:02 PM   #34

Quote:
But let's compare notes at the bottom of the next great recession (if I notice it happens ).
Please let us all know when it's the bottom
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Really Early Retirement?
Old 07-04-2015, 12:33 AM   #35
gone traveling

Really Early Retirement?

Quote:
I pulled it off at age 33. With 3 kids. We're pretty frugal and only spend around $33k/yr. That doesn't prevent us from traveling and enjoying life. Currently wrapping up week 2 of a 7 week adventure in Mexico with the kids (at a cost of around $1,000/wk).

Here's a shot from today's hike. ER is pretty awesome.

Always enjoy the travel adventure photos - where in Mexico are you vacationing. We're planning some Western Hemisphere travel next year after spending the last couple decades in Asia ...

Oops. Found the link to d blog. Aye, Coolio!
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Really Early Retirement?
Old 07-04-2015, 12:58 AM   #36
gone traveling

Really Early Retirement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
retired nearly 7 years ago at 45. Being childfree.......For me, this was the biggest reason I was able to ER at 45.

Kids are not inexpensive.

In our case, we managed to FIRE at 45 with two teens. FIRE in 40's can be done with kids too... Just a matter of priorities and planning for and managing expenses, income etc Plan the work. Work the plan.

Personally having had kids, I do not think kids/no kids to be THE swing factor in hitting an early (anywhere in your 40's ) FIRE goal. I'm proof of that as are several other posters here. The FIRE calculus is just much more complex than a yes or no to the heir-apparent (kids) check-box.

For us, the calculus is more about: affordable education + good job + savers not spenders + good health + hard work + goal orientation + family and friend support + luck+ interest in investing + more luck+ like minded spouse + taking advantage of opportunities (eg.living abroad) that others missed+ motivation of wanting to work hard for kids/family sake = path to FIRE

I think we all play the hand we are dealt or the hand we deal ourselves. Maybe I drive the car a few more years to trade off some kid expenses. Or live abroad and take advantage of company benefits to offset kid costs. There are many paths to FIRE. We learn to manage and adapt based on what we want and need etc etc.

To turn up the contrast, I don't think in our case that we could have or would have gotten to the FIRE goal without having a couple kids - as a couple, kids gave us a rally point upon which other matters built - money teamwork, career teamwork, parental care teamwork and learning to compromise and make unselfish trade offs .

Our kids have been a big FIRE motivator to me, matured me, etc. And parents know kids tire us out to the point that sleeping in on a Monday as can be done once FIREd starts looking really good.

All due respect to everyone in your 40's who is living the dream. Don't think kids can't be part of the dream ... Or that the dream has to come later due to kids.
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 01:07 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Gossip and speculation, especially as to exactly how others have gone wrong, is a bedrock human activity. On E-R.org we do it all the time, when we throw off on all the unwashed who do not LBYM, or Bogleize their investments, or whatever. Since we do it unto others, why should we expect that they don't look at us with the same critical eye?.

Ha
Right on. (Guess that saying dates me). Very common attitude here and everywhere "my way is the best way". I am as guilty as the next guy. But I think if you can at least recognize the trait, you are better off.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 05:49 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
Always enjoy the travel adventure photos - where in Mexico are you vacationing. We're planning some Western Hemisphere travel next year after spending the last couple decades in Asia ...

Oops. Found the link to d blog. Aye, Coolio!
So far we spent 2 weeks in San Miguel de Allende and 2 weeks in Mexico City. About to depart for 2 weeks in Oaxaca, then 1.5 weeks in Cancun and Tulum.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:46 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
then 1.5 weeks in Cancun and Tulum.
Watch out for the extreme heat there in July!
Old 07-07-2015, 12:15 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Watch out for the extreme heat there in July!
Yes, we're expecting it. Just slightly hotter than NC summers.

The hotels and apartment where we are staying all have A/C and pools. Worst case we see nothing and enjoy comfort, swimming, and some beach time. Not the worst way to cap a 7 week vacation in Mexico.