Join Early Retirement Today

Rebalancing portfolio
Old 02-09-2006, 07:10 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Rebalancing portfolio

Hello all!
I have several funds in the government/military TSP and want to rebalance my allocations.
Should I do it all at once? Or a little at a time to get dollar cost averaging?
I am about 85% in the S&P and want to move more into the International (I fund) and Small cap (S fund, wilshire 4500) funds.

Thanks!
Bill
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Rebalancing portfolio
Old 02-09-2006, 07:16 AM   #2

Sounds like you want a new allocation rather than rebalance.* Nothing wrong your thinking.* Come up with a new allocation, stick to it and rebalance yearly.* Whenever I come up with a new allocation I do it all at once.* Not a bad idea if you will have new money (your contributions) coming in which will essentially be DCA'ing into the allocation.* But again that is just me.

Wildcat out
Old 02-09-2006, 07:17 AM   #3

In this situation, I don't see any reason you would need to DCA unless you are talking mega dollars. *You could make a case for DCA if one of these sectors happened to be very overvalued at this time---but I don't see it.

I could be wrong--
probably am *
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 08:38 AM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

pick one of the "L" funds based on your rist tolerance or age. The rebalancing will be automatic from then on.
aimhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 09:26 AM   #5

I like the concept, but even the 2040 fund has 15% in G and F funds (short term treasury and fixed bonds).

I'd like to do 50% C fund (S&P index)
25% I (international funds)
25% S (small cap, wilshire 4500)
Old 02-09-2006, 09:43 AM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

then go ahead and do the rebalancing(allocation) all at once. Set up future contributions as you have listed and rebalance yearly from there.
aimhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 08:42 AM   #7

Hi,

Will you be changing your future contribution allocations as well? If so, then you'll be DCA-ing with your future contributions, so I'd see no problem with re-allocating the current balance all at once. In fact, I recently did the same thing to give myself more international exposure (and less large cap).

Now that I'm more balanced out, I'll just rebalance once a year if it gets too skewed.

Karen
Old 02-13-2006, 09:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill
I like the concept, but even the 2040 fund has 15% in G and F funds (short term treasury and fixed bonds).

I'd like to do 50% C fund (S&P index)
25% I (international funds)
25% S (small cap, wilshire 4500)
Thats not a bad AA IMHO. I used to have 40% G, 20% C, S & I. Now I put new contributions in an L fund. I agree about not wanting bonds so I avoid the F fund but take a closer look at the G fund, it is not exactly a bond fund and it reduces volitility of a portfolio considerably since it cannot lose money.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:41 PM   #9

Thanks for the thoughts! I have been at 60 20 20% for a while, but never changed the money already in.

I did an interfund transfer to 60 C fund, 20 each on I and S.

I may add some G fund just to be on the safe side, but hate to think of the low returns on the 20 to 25 years I have left until I start drawing the money!
Old 02-24-2006, 03:48 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

You did not mention a bond allocation. Are you 100% in equities?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 06:55 PM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

I am in a similar problem, but a large portion is in taxable accounts. I'm just reluctant to force the taxable event by selling to redistribute.

From the responses I've seen on this board and some extracurricular reading, I've found that AA is probably unique to your personal situation. Your idea seems fairly well in line with most, although you're going to get a lot of input regarding a lack of a bond portion.

AV8
AV8 is offline   Reply With Quote