Revived: Retirement Planning for Young Military Member

LeBlanc

Recycles dryer sheets
I couldn't respond to the original thread because it had been some 800+ days since it was active, but I wanted to keep this one going:

6 February 2008:
Hello all, I was hoping to present my personal situation and with any luck, garner some value added input from you readers who are smarter than I.

I'm a 29 year old 10 year Air Force veteran and plan on staying in for at least 10 more years to reap the benefits of the military retirement system. I'm stationed in the Middle East right now and will be until December of 2008.

Living here, I pay no State or Federal taxes and get paid a little bit extra by the nature of the local environment. I invest 25% of my base pay (comes to about $1266/mo) in the TSP (spread between the C, S, and I Funds) and I also invest in a Roth IRA (PRSGX: Spectrum Growth) maxing it out at $416.66/mo.

The current value of my TSP is about $28,000 and my IRA is about $10,000. I have $10,000 sitting in a savings account that earns 10%APY while I'm here and the rest of my savings is in a high yield savings account with EmigrantDirect. I plan to continue to invest heavily in stocks clear through my 30's. Yes, I'm aware of diversification, and I am diversified...in small, mid, large, emerging, equity, international, etc...stocks. I'm not so interested in bonds and other "lower risk" options at this point in my life. I could lose it all today and still be just fine as far as I'm concerned.

I have no debt whatsoever and already have my MBA that was paid for by the military.

With all that being said...I want to retire early, and would like to know if I'm saving too little, too much or just enough AND is there anything else I should consider (non retirement vehicles)?

I will be eligible for military retirement when I am 38 yrs old and potentially will make about $55,000 per year on military retirement alone. That figure comes from looking at a Lt Col's pay (rank I will potentially retire at) today at 20 yrs of service and applying a 3% increase per year over the next 10 years to estimate the amount (at 50%) when I am due to retire.

Being so young retiring from the military, I will most likely get another job for a few years just to keep me busy but would like to have financial freedom earlier than the "typical" 59 1/2.

Your thoughts?

3 October 2011:
I can't believe it's been over 3 years since I submitted this post. I thought it would be interesting to provide an update.

I'm now 32 with over 13 yrs in the service. I'm up for promotion to Major (O-4) and given my career history, I'll have no issues getting promoted.

I now live in the US again after having lived in the Middle East for 1 year then Okinawa Japan for 2.5 years.

The current value of my TSP is $60,000 (I stopped investing in TSP in 2009 to save for property purchases) and my IRA is $27,000 (I continue to contribute the max every year). I currently have about $1000 in savings, primarily because I just closed on my fifth property in 3 years.

Since posting this 3 years ago, my faith in the stock market has changed. I haven't pulled anything out, but my future contributions will be very limited as I'm focusing my attention more on investment properties. Granted, there is great risk in real estate, but "owning" a piece of dirt with a house on it means more to me now than owning an "unrealized" stock or fund in a market that is so overly manipulated, the risk is not worth it....to me.

I purchased all of my investment properties with 20%-25% down and got a great 5.25% 30 yr fixed mortgage (doesn't get much better than that for investment loans). The properties are all rented and earning positive cash flow (most of the mortgages (PITI) are around $500, rental income right at $1000). I live in oneof the homes currently.

The plan is to pay down the mortgages early, hopefully all of them within 7-10 yrs then see how things are going from there.

I will probably stay in the service closer to 30 yrs to get closer to a 75% retirement as a Colonel (O-6).

Overall, I think I've played my cards right so far.

26 December 2013:

I figured it was time for another update to the board and my status on how things have been going with my "plan".

In the past 2 years and 2 months, I have nearly reached 16 years of service in the AF. I was promoted to Major (O-4) in February 2013. My promotion board for Lieutenant Colonel, 2 Below-the-Zone is in 2015.

I've added zero funds to my TSP and the current value is $66,889 and also zero funds to my IRA which is now valued at $50,141 for a total of $117,030.

I currently have about $10,000 in savings and I save about $4,000-$4,500 per month.

I still own 5 homes, 4 of them are rentals which bring in about $1800 per month positive cash flow. I am not making any additional mortgage payments as I had previously planned. I'm using the savings as a safety cushion and to cover rent vacancies, repairs and other risks associated with real estate investing....and of course savings.

I did want to add, I bought the houses in AZ for $92K, $90K and $94K. Today they are estimated at $185K, $181K and $170K respectively. The house in Vegas I bought for $165K, it's worth about $143K today. The home I live in now was purchased in 2011 for $175K and is estimated at $193K.

In October, my 2006 VW Jetta was stolen and I didn't have full coverage, so that was a total loss. I replaced it with a $10,000 2007 Audi A3...pretty good deal. In November I had about $6000 of repairs to one of my rentals because the tenant smoked and caused a lot of damage. I have zero credit card debt but have five mortgages and two small vehicle payments. The plan was to have all the car loans paid off by now but the stolen car put a damper in that. Will have the remaining car payments closed out by June 2014.

I will be moving again this Summer and won't know where until March and will likely purchase another home at that location and turn our current residence into a rental.

My current net worth is $560,000. Things are going well so far. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all.

Last edited:
Things are going well so far. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all.
Congratulations, LeBlanc!

I'd say that by the time you hit 20 years of service you'll be working more for the love than for the money...

I am impressed with your timeline if you'll be eligible to retire from active duty at 38 years old as an O-5. That must involve enlisting at 18, completing a bachelor's degree faster than most full-time students while also serving on active duty, immediately making the transition to officer, and at least one below-the-zone promotion(?).

Tim

Nords, I'm not so sure i agree. Using the calculator at militarypay.defense and planning factors of 3.5% inflation, 2.0% pay raises (it won't go lower unfortunately) and a tax rate of 28% I have the following results;

Retire at 20 as O-4 in 2018 = $3713/mo (before taxes)
Retire at 23 as O-5 in 2021 = $5,179/mo (+$1466, 28% increase)
Retire at 29 as O-6 in 2027 = $9,221/mo (+$4042, 44% increase)

Tim,
I enlisted in 1998 when I was 18. Promoted to E-5 with one early promo. Finished my undergrad in 2.5 yrs and commissioned in 2003. Finished MBA in 2007. Promoted to O-4 in 2013. My in-the-zone promotion board will happen 2017 (two-below the zone is 2015, never count on that obviously). I'll pin on O-5 in '16 or '17. Next In-the zone promo for O-6 is 2023 with likely pin on in '24 or '25.

And no, I'm not being presumptuous that I'll make rank. I happen to be in a career field that promotes like this as long as you're a strong leader/performer, which I happen to be.

It's a decent outlook, but I'll have lots of opportunities. I'm a Level II certified program manager as well and working on getting PMP certified through PMI. It's been quite the experience broadening into acquisitions. I'll be heading back to my core aircraft maintenance field this Summer and hoping to take my first command in '15 or '16.

... Finished my undergrad in 2.5 yrs...

That will do it. Impressive.

Just don't end up like this guy...

This is bizarre. The article says he has a $40k/year pension, but it should be more like $62k/year for an O-6 with 30 years. It's hard to imagine living in a van on that kind of income, but it does mention the divorce and college tuition. I suppose he might be paying 1/2 his pension in alimony, and two kids in college at sticker price could run up to $100k/year.

Tim

Great!

I just wanted to say congratulations! I JUST stumbled across this site an am very motivated by your story. I'm a Navy O-3 (Almost at 6yrs) with some lofty retirement goals and hope to be in similar shoes as I get closer to retirement.

Tax Rate

Are you using your marginal tax rate in your calculations, or your effective tax rate?

I was using my marginal rate (25%), but after looking at my tax returns for the past few years, realized my effective rate was really just under 15%.

The 10% variance really made a big deal in my calculus.

Thanks for defending the Nation!

The article is poorly written, and I suspect the author did not check his/her facts. My ex-military relatives had a grand time tearing it apart on FB :facepalm: Anyway, I'm not worried about OP going the same sad route, since he seems very smart and has a planning/project management b/g to boot :angel: Just a little cautionary note, is all.

A.

This is bizarre. The article says he has a $40k/year pension, but it should be more like $62k/year for an O-6 with 30 years. It's hard to imagine living in a van on that kind of income, but it does mention the divorce and college tuition. I suppose he might be paying 1/2 his pension in alimony, and two kids in college at sticker price could run up to $100k/year.

Tim

So, another 930 days have passed since my last update to my FIRE plans. Here is the latest:

I'm now 37 years old with 18 1/2 years in service. I'm a deployed squadron commander. My in-the-zone promotion board for Lt Col (O-5) is coming up in 2017. I'm eligible to retire in January 2018.

I still have added zero funds to my TSP and the current value is $77,000 and also zero funds to my IRA which is now valued at $43,000 (I pulled out $20K penalty free for a downpayment on my primary residence) for a total of $120,000.

Last summer I sold my Las Vegas rental property for a $20,000 profit after it had decreased in value about $70K between 2007-2014.

I purchased my 6th property last month and now own 5 rentals and one primary and I have 5 mortgages.

I currently have about $60,000 in savings and I save about $6000 per month.

My VW Jetta that was stolen was found 6 months later and I still own it. It's free and clear. I also own my 2004 GMC Sierra Duramax, 2008 HD Street Glide and I recently picked up a 1968 Chevelle that I swapped a supercharged LS2 making over 600HP...all free and clear. So I save like a mad man, but I also play and have fun.

My current net worth is $780,000.

I'm starting to get tired of military life and seriously considering retiring at 20. My goal is to retire and secure a well paying job and pay off about $600K in mortgages over 5 years or so then FIRE around 43 years old. Shouldn't be too difficult with 20 yrs military leadership experience, MBA in Logistics Management, PMP certification and Level II Acquisitions Certified through the Defense Acquisition University.

The expectation is that I will live off my pension as a retired O-4 and about 5-6 rental homes bringing in about $6K-$7K per month in positive cash flow. That will put me at about $120K per year pre-tax dollars for doing nothing at all, with tons of options. Well, that's the hope anyway.

It's kinda fun to watch how this has progressed over the years. This is 8 years in the making.

Last edited:
I'm starting to get tired of military life and seriously considering retiring at 20. My goal is to retire and secure a well paying job and pay off about $600K in mortgages over 5 years or so then FIRE around 43 years old. Shouldn't be too difficult with 20 yrs military leadership experience, MBA in Logistics Management, PMP certification and Level II Acquisitions Certified through the Defense Acquisition University.

I retired *just* shy of 22 years of service (FULLY retired). My only regret? That I didn't do it EXACTLY at 20 years. I have been retired for almost 2 years and it has been GREAT. Things just weren't as fun as when I went in back in '93 and as I understand...it hasn't gotten much better. Perhaps now that Walsh is gone, things will improve.

I am glad to report that I haven't felt the need to use my DAU certification (also level 2) or my PMP in retirement. You just mentioning DAU has brought back TERRIBLE memories of the horrible classes in Huntsville. Blah! :yuk:

Congrats on your progress...it's great to read how your story has evolved.

So, another 930 days have passed since my last update to my FIRE plans. Here is the latest:

The expectation is that I will live off my pension as a retired O-4 and about 5-6 rental homes bringing in about $6K-$7K per month in positive cash flow. That will put me at about $120K per year pre-tax dollars for doing nothing at all, with tons of options. Well, that's the hope anyway.

It's kinda fun to watch how this has progressed over the years. This is 8 years in the making.
Thanks for the update, LeBlanc!

I'm assuming that $6K-$7K/month is after taxes and maintenance/repairs. But even if it's "just" $3K/month net you're still probably in great shape.

As you might already suspect I also vote for retiring at 20 to the minute (even if you're an O-5 having fun while getting to three years' time in grade) and only working if you want to. Aside from being self-employed a property manager, of course.

[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]613 Days since my last update.

I'm now 39 years old with 20 years and 3 months of USAF active duty military service. I'm currently sitting at another deployed location, this time in Syria for a few months.

I've still added nothing to my TSP account and the current value is $96,000 (up 25%). I haven't added to my IRA either and its current value is $56,000 (up 27%) for a total of $152,000.

In February 2017, I moved from Utah to Maryland for military orders and turned my previous 2 Utah homes into rental units. Then I bought a primary residence in Maryland for $420,000. Definitely not cheap in that area but it fit all my requirements. Since buying that home, its value has increased about $50,000.

Summer of 2017 I did a cash out refinance on one of my rental properties and bought 3 multi-family rental units in Toledo Ohio. I lost $40,000 to a schmuck contractor and currently in the process of recovery. This month I purchased a multi-family rental unit in Alabama.

I now own 9 rental units and 1 primary residence with a total of 18 rental doors. Although 5 of them are unavailable because the units need renovation.

I no longer own the VW Jetta, but I do still have the 2004 GMC Sierra, 2008 Harley Davidson Street Glide and the 1968 Chevelle, all owned outright.

My current net worth is $1.147M (47% up from last report).

When I get back from this deployment I'll have over 100 days of leave on the books and about $60K in the bank with nearly 21 years of service.

We'll see what the next update brings.

[/FONT]

Sounds like you are in good shape and on your way to success.

For the 2014 post
"This is bizarre. The article says he has a $40k/year pension, but it should be more like $62k/year for an O-6 with 30 years. It's hard to imagine living in a van on that kind of income, but it does mention the divorce and college tuition. I suppose he might be paying 1/2 his pension in alimony, and two kids in college at sticker price could run up to $100k/year."

Not if it is a Reserve pension.....that is based on points and is usually a lesser than 50% portion of the base pay. In fact, it looks like this guy has between 4500-5000 points.

Edit- I just read the article....huh...his wife probably gets 50% of his pension, so $40K is about right. As for not having any savings or other assets, I've seen that many times as well. Not all people are good at deferring gratification.

LeBlanc- amazing- I knew guy like you who also was building his rental property empire while in the AF. He was very diligent. I also just met a young man who co-owns a larger apartment rental property with his brother....they are doing very well.

Congrats and as Nords said, you will be doing things because you love them and not because you have to....great work.

Last edited:
534 Days since my last update.

I'm now 40 years old and I retired this year after 21 years and 3 months of active duty military service in the United States Air Force.

I've still added nothing to my TSP account and the current value is $113,000 (up 15% from last update). I haven't added to my IRA either and its current value is $62,000 (up 10%) for a total of $175,000.

In January 2019, I moved from Maryland to Arizona. I purchased a new primary residence and sold my home (FSBO) for a profit of $80,000. I also sold one of my properties in Utah for a profit of about $100,000. With those proceeds, I purchased/financed two 4-plex apartments in Alabama and am still sitting fairly cash heavy.

I took a job with Amazon when I moved to Arizona and after 2 months, I quickly became disenchanted. They were paying me very handsomely at $170,000 per year to include 70 shares of Amazon restricted stock units (they didn't vest until 4 years). But despite all the money, it wasn't worth it and I left. I've been "retired" for 100 days.

I fill my days doing projects around the house, doing projects for my girlfriend at her home, working on my Chevelle and Harley, golfing with my father and brother, maintaining my health and fitness and looking for my next investment opportunity.

I now own 10 rental units and 1 primary residence with a total of 23 rental doors bringing in a gross $173,000 per year rental income.

I still have the 2004 GMC Sierra, 2008 Harley Davidson Street Glide and the 1968 Chevelle, all owned outright. I'm considering buying another car for style, fun and economy...2016 Audi A6 TDI. That's TBD.

My current net worth is $1.218M (6%/$71,000 up from last report).

I currently collect a modest pension from the Air Force which is approximately $43,000 per year (net). I also collect disability of about $36,000 per year (tax free) and my net cash flow on my rental properties brings in about $56,000 for a total of $135,000 per year in passive income. I have about $150,000 cash in the bank that needs to get put to use and I've considered buying a business but the more I look into it the more it sounds like "work". In all likelihood, I'll probably purchase some more investment properties.

For those of you new to this thread, I began this path to FIRE 22 years ago when I was 18 years old. Could I have done better and made wiser choices? Absolutely. Do I feel like I've achieved my definition of financial independence and early retirement? I'm still working through that. Determining what is "enough" always seems to be easier said than done.

Add more Harleys to the fleet. I think your gonna find a lot of ways to add to “enough”. It’s hard to turn off but enjoy retirement.

534 Days since my last update.

I'm now 40 years old and I retired this year after 21 years and 3 months of active duty military service in the United States Air Force.

I've still added nothing to my TSP account and the current value is $113,000 (up 15% from last update). I haven't added to my IRA either and its current value is $62,000 (up 10%) for a total of $175,000.

In January 2019, I moved from Maryland to Arizona. I purchased a new primary residence and sold my home (FSBO) for a profit of $80,000. I also sold one of my properties in Utah for a profit of about $100,000. With those proceeds, I purchased/financed two 4-plex apartments in Alabama and am still sitting fairly cash heavy.

I took a job with Amazon when I moved to Arizona and after 2 months, I quickly became disenchanted. They were paying me very handsomely at $170,000 per year to include 70 shares of Amazon restricted stock units (they didn't vest until 4 years). But despite all the money, it wasn't worth it and I left. I've been "retired" for 100 days.

I fill my days doing projects around the house, doing projects for my girlfriend at her home, working on my Chevelle and Harley, golfing with my father and brother, maintaining my health and fitness and looking for my next investment opportunity.

I now own 10 rental units and 1 primary residence with a total of 23 rental doors bringing in a gross $173,000 per year rental income.

I still have the 2004 GMC Sierra, 2008 Harley Davidson Street Glide and the 1968 Chevelle, all owned outright. I'm considering buying another car for style, fun and economy...2016 Audi A6 TDI. That's TBD.

My current net worth is $1.218M (6%/$71,000 up from last report).

I currently collect a modest pension from the Air Force which is approximately $43,000 per year (net). I also collect disability of about $36,000 per year (tax free) and my net cash flow on my rental properties brings in about $56,000 for a total of $135,000 per year in passive income. I have about $150,000 cash in the bank that needs to get put to use and I've considered buying a business but the more I look into it the more it sounds like "work". In all likelihood, I'll probably purchase some more investment properties.

For those of you new to this thread, I began this path to FIRE 22 years ago when I was 18 years old. Could I have done better and made wiser choices? Absolutely. Do I feel like I've achieved my definition of financial independence and early retirement? I'm still working through that. Determining what is "enough" always seems to be easier said than done.

Wow! Thanks for the update. You and Audreyh are awesome for sharing such a long journey and remaining engaged on the site the whole time!

Amazon wanted to hire me but after my first initial interview I was convinced they just simply wanted to hire ANYONE and EVERYONE.

Why did you settle on AL for the units?

Congratulations, LeBlanc. I love it when a plan comes together.

Do I feel like I've achieved my definition of financial independence and early retirement? I'm still working through that. Determining what is "enough" always seems to be easier said than done.
Pace yourself. I’d give it a couple years before you decide whether to make any other major life changes...

Could I have done better and made wiser choices? Absolutely. Do I feel like I've achieved my definition of financial independence and early retirement? I'm still working through that. Determining what is "enough" always seems to be easier said than done.

Preaching to the choir brother. I just passed six years since I started terminal leave and still trying to figure out "enough". Congrats on your progress.

Wow! Thanks for the update. You and Audreyh are awesome for sharing such a long journey and remaining engaged on the site the whole time!

Amazon wanted to hire me but after my first initial interview I was convinced they just simply wanted to hire ANYONE and EVERYONE.

Why did you settle on AL for the units?

I chose AL for the most recent purchases because that's where the numbers worked for me at the moment. I own properties in Utah, Arizona, Ohio and Alabama. I bought two 4-plexes last year and really appreciated the performance I got out of them. So I wrote letters to the owners of the other 18 in the same culdesac. I got two responses and bought those two most recently.

Congratulations, LeBlanc. I love it when a plan comes together.

Pace yourself. I’d give it a couple years before you decide whether to make any other major life changes...

It's crazy to look back and to see the plan actually worked. I started teaching my Airmen the basic fundamentals of financial management, investing and home buying. Where else were they going to get it?

Good advice on pacing myself. It's hard to come off the full throttle career path and "relax", take it in and let things settle. I'm working through it.

497 Days since my last update.

I'm now 42 years old. As a reminder, I retired from the USAF in April of 2019, took a job with Amazon but left after 2 months. About 9 months later in March of 2020, I accepted a position with a large defense contractor as a Logistics Engineering Lead. It’s a great company with a good compensation package and keeps me busy while my wife works…which isn’t for much longer, for both of us.

I got married in October of 2020 in Cancun.

I've still added nothing to my TSP account and the current value is $151,000 (up 15.2% from last update). I haven't added to my Roth IRA either and its current value is $98,200 (up 37%). When I started my new position last March, I opted in to the company 401K plan and I contributed enough to get the maximum match amount. Today that account has $15,800. Therefore, my investment accounts total $265,000 (up 34% from last update). I will leave these alone until qualified retirement age.

In 2020, I purchased another 4-plex in Alabama and sold a duplex. I currently have 10 investment properties (25 doors) plus a primary residence. The rental properties bring in $194,000 per year in gross income. Net cash flow is right around $6,000 per month or $72,000 per year.

I still have the 2004 GMC Sierra, 2008 Harley Davidson Street Glide and the 1968 Chevelle, all owned outright. I did not buy an Audi or BMW as I previously mentioned I might….but instead purchased a 2014 VW Passat TDI, with cash, of course.

My current net worth is $1.82M (up 34%/$600K from last report). It’s crazy watching the net worth grow the way it is, especially over the last year. The lion’s share of this growth is from 401K and IRA earnings, property appreciation and mortgage pay downs. Plus a good portion of continued savings contributions.

I still collect a modest pension from the Air Force which is approximately $44,000 net per year. I also collect disability of $37,000 net per year (which is also tax free). The net cash flow on my rental properties is just about $72,000. My JOB currently nets $76,000 per year. One additional thing I did beginning in 2020 was I rented my home via Airbnb. I was able to do this because I started living with my girlfriend at the time, now my wife. The results were pretty surprising. I earned $41,000 in net income through Airbnb last year. So my total net income (active and passive) came to right around $270,000 while my passive income is $194,000. I have about $175,000 cash in the bank.

One component I never really tracked over the years have been my recurring expenses. But, I will say they have mostly remained steady, with the main fluctuation being housing costs. Currently, my monthly expenses come to $3800. This includes mortgage, phone, gym, internet, insurance (auto, medical), electric, water, gas, pool service, trailer storage, HOA, gasoline and groceries.

Also, health insurance costs are pretty minimal. We are covered under Tricare for medical for me and the family. I get free dental care but will be choosing a dental plan soon once the wife leaves her position as she’s currently covered under her employer’s plan.

In a few months, both the wife and I will be exiting the workforce and moving to Utah. The plan is establish a new pattern that begins with no longer waking up to sign-in to a JOB. We don’t know exactly what we will do, but we’ll figure it out.

For those of you new to this thread, I began this path to FIRE 24 years ago when I was 18 years old. As I’ve tracked my progress and my goals over the years, you’ll see that I’ve accomplished some and fell short of others. One thing remained constant though, and that was my commitment to being financially independent and retiring early.

I'm now 42 years old. As a reminder, I retired from the USAF in April of 2019, took a job with Amazon but left after 2 months. About 9 months later in March of 2020, I accepted a position with a large defense contractor as a Logistics Engineering Lead. It’s a great company with a good compensation package and keeps me busy while my wife works…which isn’t for much longer, for both of us.

I got married in October of 2020 in Cancun.

I've still added nothing to my TSP account and the current value is $151,000 (up 15.2% from last update). I haven't added to my Roth IRA either and its current value is $98,200 (up 37%). When I started my new position last March, I opted in to the company 401K plan and I contributed enough to get the maximum match amount. Today that account has $15,800. Therefore, my investment accounts total $265,000 (up 34% from last update). I will leave these alone until qualified retirement age.

In 2020, I purchased another 4-plex in Alabama and sold a duplex. I currently have 10 investment properties (25 doors) plus a primary residence. The rental properties bring in $194,000 per year in gross income. Net cash flow is right around $6,000 per month or $72,000 per year.

I still have the 2004 GMC Sierra, 2008 Harley Davidson Street Glide and the 1968 Chevelle, all owned outright. I did not buy an Audi or BMW as I previously mentioned I might….but instead purchased a 2014 VW Passat TDI, with cash, of course.

My current net worth is $1.82M (up 34%/$600K from last report). It’s crazy watching the net worth grow the way it is, especially over the last year. The lion’s share of this growth is from 401K and IRA earnings, property appreciation and mortgage pay downs. Plus a good portion of continued savings contributions.

I still collect a modest pension from the Air Force which is approximately $44,000 net per year. I also collect disability of $37,000 net per year (which is also tax free). The net cash flow on my rental properties is just about $72,000. My JOB currently nets $76,000 per year. One additional thing I did beginning in 2020 was I rented my home via Airbnb. I was able to do this because I started living with my girlfriend at the time, now my wife. The results were pretty surprising. I earned $41,000 in net income through Airbnb last year. So my total net income (active and passive) came to right around $270,000 while my passive income is $194,000. I have about $175,000 cash in the bank.

One component I never really tracked over the years have been my recurring expenses. But, I will say they have mostly remained steady, with the main fluctuation being housing costs. Currently, my monthly expenses come to $3800. This includes mortgage, phone, gym, internet, insurance (auto, medical), electric, water, gas, pool service, trailer storage, HOA, gasoline and groceries.

Also, health insurance costs are pretty minimal. We are covered under Tricare for medical for me and the family. I get free dental care but will be choosing a dental plan soon once the wife leaves her position as she’s currently covered under her employer’s plan.

In a few months, both the wife and I will be exiting the workforce and moving to Utah. The plan is establish a new pattern that begins with no longer waking up to sign-in to a JOB. We don’t know exactly what we will do, but we’ll figure it out.

For those of you new to this thread, I began this path to FIRE 24 years ago when I was 18 years old. As I’ve tracked my progress and my goals over the years, you’ll see that I’ve accomplished some and fell short of others. One thing remained constant though, and that was my commitment to being financially independent and retiring early.

Awesome update man! I love seeing all the different paths to FIRE! Being a USAF veteran, I am always interested in these especially. I myself was in and out as a 3CO but still use that veteran's discount :)

approaching 40 there is no way I will achieve the doors and values of your accounts, you all are well on your way to owning your future 110% super inspiring, nicely done! :cool:

I'm now 42 years old.

My current net worth is $1.82M (up 34%/$600K from last report). It’s crazy watching the net worth grow the way it is, especially over the last year. The lion’s share of this growth is from 401K and IRA earnings, property appreciation ......

Congratulations on your early retirement and your financial position. And on the diversified sources of your income. Nice position to be in.

I would just comment on the "crazy" growth in equity investment positions over last couple of years. I do believe the stock market is in overvalued territory and due for a substantial correction. I myself am taking any "surge" opportunities that present themselves to lighten up on my own equity positions. In other words, I think this historically long bull market (what, going on 11 years now, or maybe longer?) is living on borrowed time. Don't know what will set off the correction, but a substantial one is overdue. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom