Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Rough Day at work so far
Old 04-10-2006, 10:23 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Rough Day at work so far

Got to work at 9am
Turned on the TV and computer.
Surfed the web for awhile.
Researched my health coverage ($210/mo) for my retirement (soon).
Ate lunch at my desk.
12:30 going out for a walk and to read the newspaper
One meeting for the day at 3pm - much the same for the rest of the week.
Friday may be a paid day off - company lunch/outing - I'm not going to.
I'm expecting the same kind of schedule until I'm out of here.

Just a little note to the cube rats out there who are wondering what the guys at the top are doing all day. You are right - all we do is have meetings and direct others' work.

You might ask; why, with a job like that I'm retiring? Working long hard hours at a job you hate or working short easy hours at a job you don't care about or are board with are really the opposite sides of the same coin.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Rough Day at work so far
Old 04-10-2006, 10:35 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think you already went over this before I'd registered here, but I couldn't post then.... Why are you bored? Surely if you can't find something interesting to do when you're at work but not needed, you'll have a hard time finding something interesting to do when you're retired unless you're a purely outdoorsy type?

Not that there's anything wrong with retiring anyway, I'm just curious how one can get bored with free time.
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 12:21 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Cool Dood,

I've told my boss that I'm leaving so there isn't much in it for me to find something to do.
To keep up appearences I should be near my desk.

"I'm just curious how one can get bored with free time." The short answer is - when you have too much of it.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:21 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The problem isn't so much being bored with free time, it's being stuck at your cubicle all day with nothing to do. They're not quite the same thing. Sure, you can maybe pay some bills online, do some day trading, check your email, financial accounts, surf around, etc, but you're still chained to the desk. Now if you had the freedom to come and go as you please, it would be different.

I know for a fact that if I had more to do, that I'd be happier. And I'm not talking about generic bs busy work that keeps my hands busy and my mind on cruise control, but projects in my field, that challenge me a bit, and make a difference to the company/govt/etc.

Some days it feels like they're just giving me a paycheck to fill this cubicle 8 hours per day. What could be my "free time" is instead time being forced to sit in front of this computer screen.

Now yeah, it could always be worse. So I'm not complaining. Much. But I know where you're coming from, Dex!
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 09:58 AM   #5

Quote:
You might ask; why, with a job like that I'm retiring? Working long hard hours at a job you hate or working short easy hours at a job you don't care about or are board with are really the opposite sides of the same coin.
So i assume you'll be outside most of the time or doing something besides posting here or goofing off on the pc after you retire, right? I assume this, because right now, you can do this and get paid for it. Why in the world would you do the same thing at home, only to not be paid for it?
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 10:04 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azanon
Why in the world would you do the same thing at home, only to not be paid for it?
Because he won't need to be paid if he's FI, won't have to sit there if he wants to do something else, and, best of all, he won't have to carry that d@mn BS bucket around with him every day!

Old 04-11-2006, 10:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Because he won't need to be paid if he's FI, won't have to sit there if he wants to do something else, and, best of all, he won't have to carry that d@mn BS bucket around with him every day!
He can go on walks and read the newspaper too though.* *

I saw dory's comment about the BS bucket.* *Who cares?* Is it so hard to feign interest?* *
Do it with a smile on your face on the ouside and with apathy on the inside.* This isnt a hard art to learn.* And why not?* This talent can bring you in 80K/year or more.* Emotional turmoil and strife is a choice.* *Simply choose to not be bothered by it.

More money is always better than less.* *For all of those that disagree with this statement, please send me a pm so i can give you my account number for an EFT, since i can use any dollars one considers excess and not making your life better.

Azanon

(edit) This reminded me of something I once saw done..... A brainstorm on "Money is ........." and you fill in the blank. Everytime i ask myself that, "power" pops in my mind first.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:17 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

And so we hit upon a key point that's been mentioned here before: what are you retiring to? Enough money is one thing, but if you don't have a life planed for retirement, you may come running back to w*rk. Me, it's a no brainer, much prefer the company of my family to my coworkers, and I want to travel much more than I can when I'm a w*rking stiff.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 10:18 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
He can go on walks and read the newspaper too though.* *

I saw dory's comment about the BS bucket.* *Who cares?* Is it so hard to feign interest?* *
Do it with a smile on your face on the ouside and with apathy on the inside.* This isnt a hard art to learn.* And why not?* This talent can bring you in 80K/year or more.* Emotional turmoil and strife is a choice.* *Simply choose to not be bothered by it.
Come back in 10 years and tell us exactly how easy it is for you to do this.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 10:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Come back in 10 years and tell us exactly how easy it is for you to do this.
Point well taken. I save excessively, and I'll admit that one reason is because i have enough forethought to realize I might not be as high on my job 10 years from now as I am now. So the best i can do, is evaluate his situation now; browse the internet and go on walks for a lot of money. Hmmmm!

Again, for me it would come down to what someone else just said; if he wants to be outdoors, go on vacations, be with family, then by all means leave ASAP. But if he's just going to do the same thing at home, except not be paid for it, then hell, keep the job.

Azanon
Old 04-11-2006, 11:20 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I saw dory's comment about the BS bucket. Who cares? Is it so hard to feign interest?
Do it with a smile on your face on the ouside and with apathy on the inside. This isnt a hard art to learn. And why not? This talent can bring you in 80K/year or more. Emotional turmoil and strife is a choice. Simply choose to not be bothered by it.
I don't think many of us can flourish for long while faking it. It takes something out of us to do work we hate, or to go through the motions on something that no longer interests us. At some point the money isn't worth it -- maybe the analogy of the BS bucket getting too heavy fits that point. For some of us the circumstances may make ER an answer. For others a career change is the best solution. A few choose to suffer for another decade or two - they tend not to be pleasant people to work with.

Don
Old 04-11-2006, 11:32 AM   #12

ahh.. the now becoming famous "bucket of b.s." analogy.* I cant figure why somebody would want to stay someplace where they would just goof off all day if they were financially independent....
Old 04-11-2006, 11:35 AM   #13

One thing I've noticed, with having a desk job, is that it has taken a bit of toll on my health. Back when I used to work in logistics by day, and deliver pizzas by night, I was pretty healthy from all the running around and such. But now, sitting in front of a computer all the time, I get eye strain and headaches, and the seat makes my butt hurt after awhile. And I think boredom, lack of adrenalin/stimulation, and even the jackass braying in the cubicle next to me do take their toll over time.

Now I'm not going to drop dead (I hope) at my desk...I'm not saying that I'm sickly or anything. But I was in better shape back when I was being stimulated more...both physically and mentally. I do try to make up for it though by exercising more.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 11:37 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

The new K.F.C. family value meal! Now get a bucket of B.S. with two large sides for $9.99. *Go home happy!

I said to a co-worker the other day, "It's not worth the price of working more to get a little more money, sometimes the money isn't worth the price of staying 80 hours a week like some of the crazies here. *I enjoy my wife and daughter too much." *He responded, "Do you think these people who ignore their family and work here 80 hours a week would suddenly become good fathers/husbands if they worked 40? *They'll just find a different way to ignore them!" *He may be right. *
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 11:48 AM   #15

Quote:
ahh.. the now becoming famous "bucket of b.s." analogy. I cant figure why somebody would want to stay someplace where they would just goof off all day if they were financially independent....
Maybe because they realize that they think/believe that they are FI, but realize that such a declaration is an estimate based on future unknowns? Sure, a program like Firecalc can "prove" you're FI, but I've always heard you can use stats to prove just about anything.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:51 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Maybe because they realize that they think/believe that they are FI, but realize that such a declaration is an estimate based on future unknowns?* *Sure, a program like Firecalc can "prove" you're FI, but I've always heard you can use stats to prove just about anything.
You'll have to excuse me for saying this, Az, but you are giving me the definite impression of a person who would hold on for that last extra bit of financial security for years on end.

- George Orwell

Old 04-11-2006, 12:14 PM   #17

Quote:
You'll have to excuse me for saying this, Az, but you are giving me the definite impression of a person who would hold on for that last extra bit of financial security for years on end.
Nah, but i wouldnt do anything crazy like quitting in my 30s either. I already said my probably real accurate guess; when i'm 58 and eligible for full federal benefits. With a pension and social security (and health benefits), the worst can happen and i'd still have 2 legs of my 3 legged stool.

I think for anyone really serious about it, i'd could endorse as early as 45, but earlier than that, and you best be sitting on an excessive amount IMO or be in really poor health with death imminent. I know i'm not alone in this opinion either; folks like Berstein would likely agree with that.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Nah, but i wouldnt do anything crazy like quitting in my 30s either. *I already said my probably real accurate guess; *when i'm 58 and eligible for full federal benefits. * With a pension and social security (and health benefits), the worst can happen and i'd still have 2 legs of my 3 legged stool.

I think for anyone really serious about it, i'd could endorse as early as 45, but earlier than that, and you best be sitting on an excessive amount IMO or be in really poor health with death imminent. *I know i'm not alone in this opinion either; *folks like Berstein would likely agree with that.

(edit) doh it said error when i first pressed save, but posted it anyway, hence the double post.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:18 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Bernsteins a wuss.

You guys act like this is some sort of binary decision with no recision.

I can cut spending for a while. I can work part time. I can get a full time job again. Heck, I can send the wife off to more than 2 days of work a week

You can downsize your home. Put off major expenditures. Or find yourself awash with cash and have a blast with it.

Any of that beats prostituting myself and swallowing my irritation at dealing with morons.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:23 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Bernsteins a wuss.

You guys act like this is some sort of binary decision with no recision.

I can cut spending for a while.* I can work part time.* I can get a full time job again.* Heck, I can send the wife off to more than 2 days of work a week

You can downsize your home.* Put off major expenditures.* Or find yourself awash with cash and have a blast with it.

Any of that beats prostituting myself and swallowing my irritation at dealing with morons.
Yep. That's why I have a figure in mind for walking away without a care in the world, but another (lower) figure in mind for being able to walk away and make it up as I go along.

- George Orwell