Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Sabbaticals from work
Old 12-31-2004, 04:34 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Thanks GTM.

If they gave me a sabbatical which I doubt they would, since I have become somewhat expendable, it would work to my favor as it would gave me reduced group health coverage in addition to the 18 month Cobra insurance.

MJ
Some firms offer retire health insurance for early retirees.
It usually requires x amount of years of service and age 55. Premiums are not cheap probably the same as COBRA but less than getting a similar plan directly from the insurance company (if they offer one)
And it should be effective until medicare kicks in.

It all depends on the firm you work for and the deal you can workout with them.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2004, 04:37 PM   #22

Quote:
It is highly
appropriate for Cut-Throat to reside there. It's a shame really,
as it is a beautiful state except for the politics.
John,

It is a beautiful state BECAUSE of the politics!
Old 12-31-2004, 04:43 PM   #23

Once or twice on my path from workaholic to lazy
slug, I had COBRA coverage available. I recall being
happy about having the option. However, on at least
one occasion I concluded I could not afford the premiums. The same thing happened when my wife
left her employer. True, we had the COBRA option,
but the premiums caused us to look elsewhere.

JG
Old 12-31-2004, 05:50 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Some firms offer retire health insurance for early retirees. It usually requires x amount of years of service and age 55. Premiums are not cheap probably the same as COBRA but less than getting a similar plan directly from the insurance company (if they offer one) And it should be effective until medicare kicks in. It all depends on the firm you work for and the deal you can workout with them.
I am no aware of my company offering any ER insurance options. It can't hurt to ask if they allow me to keep their group health insurance beyond the Cobra period although I don't think it is to their advantage to offer this.

Quote:
True, we had the COBRA option,
but the premiums caused us to look elsewhere.
Unfortunately here in the NY area, Cobra still offers a better though expensive alternative than individual insurance.

MJ
Old 01-01-2005, 04:33 AM   #25

and then went back to worRe: Sabbaticals from work

A guy I used to work with knew someone who quit
for 10 years and then went back to work in his 50s.
This follows the idea that you should use your best years doing what you want and then work later
(Terhorst touched on this in his book). I seriously doubt
that many could do this unless they found work that they loved. I know once I got into the spirit (of loafing)
it would have taken a disaster of epic proportions to
get me back to work. Looking back over the last 10 years, I can
see how I might have morphed my little company into
something I could have run part time. The catch for me
was my Type A/workaholic tendencies. IOW, if the
office was still there, could I have stayed away. We'll
never know now. Cold turkey may have been my only option to make ER stick.

JG
Old 01-01-2005, 04:49 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

JG, I too worry about my workaholic tendencies. Will I really be able to work part time this year? Will my free time be spent worrying about what is going on with x, y and z? As it is, I am not working next week but forwarded my email to my home account and left my secretary some work and instructions to email the drafts to me.

As far as sabbaticals, the few employers I know who offer them have sabbatical policies that lay out the rules. Many require you to present a "plan" for what you are going to do on your time off to justify the sabbatical. For example, doing volunteer work or writing a book. The employers I know with sabbatical plans continue the employee under the health insurance plan.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 06:44 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
The employers I know with sabbatical plans continue the employee under the health insurance plan.
Thanks Martha and Happy New Year to you, all the pre-ER and ERs in this group.

MJ
Old 01-01-2005, 08:15 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm with GTM on the question about a 6-12 month resume gap, especially in the case of younger candidates.

In the last 10 years I've interviewed approximately a hundred people and hired at least thirty. I never looked at a gap like this as a detriment as long as the candidate was able to explain to me why the gap was positive in terms of job qualification and/or life experience. Education, a travel opportunity, volunteer work, caring for a sick family member, relocation related to geographical preference, writing a novel, etc. are all work history gap reasons I've considered objectively.

As a supervisor I'm less interested in someone who stuck around in an obvious sweatshop job (professional services comes to mind) than in someone who took six months off to go rock climbing in Asia, or whatever. In terms of experience there's no comparing the two.

Ed
Old 01-01-2005, 03:54 PM   #29

Ed, I think you are in the minority. I have interviewed/
hired/fired a large number of workers. I believe
most decision makers would worry that the applicant
would decide to take off and go rock climbing again.

JG
Old 01-01-2005, 05:17 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

John...yup, most would. But I think one six-month break after a three-year dead-end job is probably a good decision, whereas five six-month breaks in seven years is definitely a bad habit. Seen both; took the former and passed on the latter.

Hmm...(sound of spinning wheels)...maybe I should screen my current staff and any future candidates to see if they're members of this forum. Obviously if they're here they plan to bolt at the first chance they get, right?

Hope my boss doesn't try that, tho...

Ed
Old 01-03-2005, 08:46 AM   #31
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
I'm with GTM on the question about a 6-12 month resume gap, especially in the case of younger candidates.

In the last 10 years I've interviewed approximately a hundred people and hired at least thirty. I never looked at a gap like this as a detriment as long as the candidate was able to explain to me why the gap was positive in terms of job qualification and/or life experience. Education, a travel opportunity, volunteer work, caring for a sick family member, relocation related to geographical preference, writing a novel, etc. are all work history gap reasons I've considered objectively.

As a supervisor I'm less interested in someone who stuck around in an obvious sweatshop job (professional services comes to mind) than in someone who took six months off to go rock climbing in Asia, or whatever. In terms of experience there's no comparing the two.

Ed

Thanks gratefuled! Just knowing the type of person I am I would have a hard time not doing something that was positive in terms of job qualifications. On the whole I really like my job... its the *having* to come to work every weekday from 9 til 6 or 7 and fighting through traffic that annoys me. I could definately see doing my own project or training that relates to my job... or even picking up some freelance work here and there. Heck, if I could get a few steady freelance clients then maybe I wouldn't even go back to the "regular" work day.

-LiveWell
Old 01-11-2005, 09:27 AM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My 3 month sabbatical given to me by my most former employer was wonderful, but detrimental to the employer.

It unwound all the foolishness at work for me and couldnt do it anymore with a straight face. It also showed me I could ER with no problems.

As someone who interviewed probably thousands of people and hired hundreds, a sabbatical gap wouldnt have made me blink an eye. But I'm probably not your average interviewer. That someone had the motivation to get off the hampster wheel for a while as far as I'm concerned would be a plus. I *did* interview one candidate who confessed that she had to take a few years off to get some psychological work done and later found out she threatened the lives of several of her co-workers and smashed the place up when they fired her. I didnt think that was a real positive.

The thing is, the only change a sabbatical makes is removing you from day to day politics and high volume, high detail day to day interaction with specific tools, techniques and data related to your profession. These things are very easily learned and/or updated. You as a worker and person probably dont change much as far as your work habits, the way you deal with people and projects, etc. Its very easy to teach a new technique, tool or set of statistics or characteristics. Its almost impossible to make someone stop being a dick, work better with other people or become an effective employee.

If a company couldnt look past a sabbatical, considering it detrimental, then I wouldnt want to work for them. Now a 10+ year gap might give me pause, but I'd hire a former VP of something with a 10 year gap into a senior position...not necessarily a VP job...and look at them to advance back into the executive ranks. I might not hire someone who wrote code 10 years ago for a new coding job. Besides, I'd get sick and tired of hearing how the programming languages "way back then" were better than they are today...

I also dont think its necessary to jump right back in where you left off. I figure I could get a moderate level job in marketing, sales, IT or engineering in a heartbeat. Someone would take a chance on their $70k a year to see if I still "had it". I figure it'd take me a year, maybe two in a big company, before I was offered a management job and five before I was right back where I started from.

Heaven forbid! :P

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote