Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-29-2008, 07:50 PM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

Pharma - 7%, expecting 3.5% in 2008

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2008, 08:28 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm a fed, too. Last year I got 2.9% and if I recall correctly, somewhere around a $1500 bonus. My raises come in July, and hopefully this year will be better than last year's. I'm not on the GS pay scale, so the raises that most feds get in January each year don't apply to me.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:37 PM   #23

I'll admit I lucked out as I got 10%. However at our location of 60 employees salary increases across the board were held at 2%. There were only 3 of us who scored higher increases. I am in Civil Engineering. I also got a 10% bonus at the end of 2007. Not sure if there will be any bonus this year, as the market is looking to be horrid.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:05 AM   #24

Got 0% for several years, so I switched jobs. New place has been good with 5% last year and promising similar this year. On the other hand, there have been an awful lot of investor meetings the last two weeks, so maybe something completely different is afoot. Part of being dependent on a j*b.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:27 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Working here in Corporate America I would take 3.2% in a heartbeat. The only way you get a raise is to leave the company. I changed jobs last year and got a 13% raise.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:12 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
am moving up the ladder with another step increase this year, so my own actual total increase is 6.21%.
Lucky you! I am now in the NSPS pay system, so no more step increases. This years COLA\local market supplement was 3.8% or so.

I'll have 14+ months until NSPS payout next year, since I converted 28OCT (2 months is too short a time to have an appraisal).
Old 01-30-2008, 01:49 PM   #27

I'm a gov't contractor, and we get our raises in the middle of the year, rather than the beginning. Back in July '07 I got something like 6.7%, which almost put me into a state of shock! I think the average was more like 2-4%. However, we had some drama here at work, where some of my cow-irkers tried to get me in trouble, our immediate supervisor took their side, and I think upper management threw that bigger raise at me to keep me from walking.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:35 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by trying2save View Post
I just got a 3.2% increase in my salary from 2007, which I am kinda disappointed considering the increase in cost of transportation and utility.
Well, if it helps, you got more than me. In November we were told that things were tight and there would be no raises or bonuses for the forseeable future. In years past, I've enjoyed annual raises ranging from 5% to 10%.

I am pleased to report that over the past 12 months, my various companies raised their annual dividends significantly. I didn't bother to work out the average increase, but IIRC they were all in the 10-15% range. Better to be an owner than an employee, I guess.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:09 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Pharma here... 7% raise in 2006, 7% raise in 2007, don't know yet for this year, but smaller raise expected. The annual bonus has also been slashed this year after three generous years (10, 12 and 13.5% of gross).
Old 01-30-2008, 05:39 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

2.5% last year - raises don't come out at my Mega-corp until March or April. I will consider myself lucky to survive the next round of layoffs, a raise would be an added bonus. In past years raises ranged from 2.0 up to 11%.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:49 PM   #31
Dryer sheet wannabe

Oil & Gas, 8.5% raise this year. 5/5 on my yearly performance review.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:51 AM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

8% raise in my base, 6.6% increase in my bonus.

My bonus this year was almost exactly two times my base salary.

I work for an investment bank, doing IT for the derivatives trading business.

edited to add: I was pretty lucky to be up from last year, our bank's pool was down somewhat from last year. We are not one of the banks really hit by the subprime mess, though.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:21 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyguy07 View Post
5/5 on my yearly performance review.
Stop working so hard!
Old 02-01-2008, 11:17 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

11% last year and 10% this year. But I am also in the beginning of my field (paralegal) so I haven't topped out yet. Once I do, I really won't expect many raises if any. My DH is in the mortgage industry and he tops out on raises at 3% but that doesn't include climbing the ladder which will have his increases make mine look pathetic.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:01 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

20-30% Bonus of total salary,

12-20% salary increae due to inflation in UAE, which is running at around 9% annually.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:34 PM   #36
Dryer sheet wannabe

I got 19% but I only started just over two years ago in an entry position for new university grads so the increases are higher initially. I'm in accounting. I figure 10-14% next year and then it will level off a bit.

Kate
Old 02-02-2008, 12:00 PM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Recently got a 5 figure retention bonus.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:30 PM   #38
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
8% raise in my base, 6.6% increase in my bonus.

My bonus this year was almost exactly two times my base salary.

I work for an investment bank, doing IT for the derivatives trading business.

edited to add: I was pretty lucky to be up from last year, our bank's pool was down somewhat from last year. We are not one of the banks really hit by the subprime mess, though.

Do you work for Goldman Sach?
Old 02-02-2008, 02:52 PM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trying2save View Post
Do you work for Goldman Sach?
No, a different one - I can PM you if you're interested. (and Goldman's pool was UP this year, the bastards )
Old 02-02-2008, 04:31 PM   #40
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
No, a different one - I can PM you if you're interested. (and Goldman's pool was UP this year, the bastards )

I only said Goldman Sach because it was the only wall street firm that didn't get hit by the subprime mortgage and of course the huge bonus(your bonus=huge)they give to their employees.