Join Early Retirement Today
Old 09-29-2012, 12:36 PM   #21
I never thought of saving a pct -to me maximizing the amount is what matters.

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
The analysis targets that I have seen include the company match as part of your savings. So if you save 10% and the company match is another 5% then you are saving at a 15% target.

By the way, If you choose to save significantly more, then your options as you get somewhat older are large.

What I read is to...

save 10% for a bare bones retirement when you are old
save 15% for a comfortable retirement when you are old
save 20-50% to escape young and/or to have a very comfortable retirement

If you started saving late, then you'll have to increase the savings targets to make up for lost time.
Here's a great post from Nords blog that tells you how soon you can retire based on % saved and % return. Bottom line is: gotta do some heavy lifting saving to FIRE very early. My read of this is that employer contributions would count in the calculation.

How many years does it take to become financially independent? | Military Retirement & Financial Independence

Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
During our accumulation years, I/DW never counted any employer match....The employee match was such a small part of our overall saving/investing rate it was not really worth counting or worrying about. We just considered it "gravy" to our total retirement saving/investment plan.
Everyone's situation is different. My employer's match is generous ($ for $ match up to the first 5% of salary, plus 2-5% profit sharing each year depending on financial results). We've always contributed enough to get all the match (don't want to give away free money), and maxed out 401k limits for most of the past 25+ years. This has resulted in a substantial 401k balance, ~40% of which is from employer contributions. That's a lot of "free" money!

You may be whatever you resolve to be.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:33 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
Generally depends on the question. If someone says how much percent do I save I exclude it. If there are questions regarding total savings as percentage of income then I include it as both numerator and denominator generally.

My match is 10% so it has a large impact on the numbers.

HornedToad10 is offline   Reply With Quote