Saving methods

Nah, its just an issue of priorities. ER is high for me, but the wife is higher. Its not either or though, I can retire earlier than most people even despite the wife. Marriage is about compromise, and with saying that, clearly marriage isnt for everyone.

I am the one in charge of the finances.  Its just that sometimes she's not excited about my level of saving, as I said ealier.

Have you tried to involve her in the finances?  My wife used to think that this ER stuff was insane but I got her involved in the financial decisions and planning. That along with the growing investment portfolio convinced her.

You could start by letting her look after the day to day stuff - paying the bills.  We have some friends of ours where the wife has no idea of the finances (even day to day bills) and money is just spent like water with no idea of the value of things nor how long her husband worked to get that money.

If anything, i make up most of the extra savings slack by being the frugal one where's she's not.

That could be very hard to do. You're not talking about a lot of slack if it's 10-15% of $80K. You really need to get her on board or if that's not possible then I've heard that some handle this with a budgeted "mad money" for the spendthrift in the relationship (it's not always the wife).

Back
Top Bottom