Join Early Retirement Today

Scott Burns: The Critical 50’s
Old 05-28-2006, 01:26 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Scott Burns: The Critical 50’s

As if those reading this forum needed added motivation to reach FIRE sooner...

In his column today in my local paper (not online), Scott Burns talks about two critical questions those approaching retirement must answer:

1. Do I have the resources to retire now?
2. Do I have the option of working longer?

Burns discusses the relative merits of the four possible responses, from the most favorable (“yes, yes”), to the least favorable (“no, no”). However, the meatiest part of his column is devoted to the third, and likely the most common response to the two questions: No, I don’t have the resources to retire now, and yes, I have the option of working longer. He cautions those in this category to do a reality check, citing the very high likelihood of someone in their 50’s experiencing a “shock” that could dramatically reduce their retirement security.

According to the Center for Retirement Research at Boston College, there is a 69% chance of someone between the ages of 51 and 61 experiencing at least one of these events:

A major medical condition - 41.3%
A health-related work limitation - 33.7%
Severe disability - 6.9%
Enter a nursing home - 3.4%
Job layoff - 18.7%
Divorce - 2.3%
Widowed - 7.3%

(The column notes the percentages add up to more than 69% because some individuals experience more than one event.)

“Only three people in 10 get through their 50’s unscathed”, says Burns. This is why so many people in their 50’s and early 60’s respond to the two questions above with a “no, no” answer.

Yikes!

NOTE: This column is not currently available on Burn’s website. I will post a link as soon as it is available.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Scott Burns: The Critical 50’s
Old 05-28-2006, 02:09 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

How does he define "major medical condition"? Heart attack, cancer or stroke?
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 02:21 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Diabetes? Knee replacement? Macular degeneration?
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 02:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
How does he define "major medical condition"?
Burns doesn't define it, but you'll recognize it when you see it...or don't see it. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR
Sure, it's all fun and games until the nanner falls off... :P
Old 05-28-2006, 02:51 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

does one of those new penile replacements count?
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 03:06 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
How does he define "major medical condition"?*
Laurence,

For me (and the article) it's something that would inhibit me from performing at my current job functions.

I'm diabetic - however it does not keep me from performing my "job".* In fact, since I was diagnosed as such at age 54 (I'm 58), I've become "healthier" (due to changes in diet, exercise, medical care).* In addition, I've already had cataract replacement (1 down, 1 to go!) but the result is that I can drive without glasses (for the first time in the last 20+ years).

I'd go with the comment by REWahoo, "You'll recognize it when you see it...or don't see it."

That being said, I'm glad that I can say "Yes, Yes"

- Ron

PS:* Don't let my DW learn about the comment "does one of those new penile replacements count? or she may suggest some "more improvements"...* 8)
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 03:30 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Since about half (or more) of people get divorced, and he includes divorce in his list, its hardly surprising the number is high.

Plus you have a bit of leeway with 'work limiting health problem' and 'major medical condition'.

Ask any 10 people and you'll get 10 different answers to what those mean.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 03:33 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107
does one of those new penile replacements count?
Don't you mean enhancements ?
Old 05-28-2006, 03:37 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Since about half (or more) of people get divorced, and he includes divorce in his list, its hardly surprising the number is high.quote

after getting divorced 4 years ago i have a tip..heres what you do to stay true blue...
i* *keep a copy of my wifes picture in my wallet,,when ever temptation strikes i pull out my *wifes picture and look at it...now after a while you may find that no longer works so heres what i did...i took a picture of all my stuff..i then cut the pictures in half and keep a half of one of them in my wallet as a remider thats thats what my stuff will look like again........it works!
Old 05-28-2006, 03:48 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

I read Scott's article in our paper yesterday and I think that it was one of his better articles. A simple concept: yes/no that just about anyone can answer. If you don't know if the answer is "yes", it is automatically a "no".

You either have to have $, or be able to make $.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 04:02 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

But the percentage divorced between the ages 51 and 61 is fairly low.

Disabilities interfering with the ability to work is a big problem. *
http://www.cbo.gov/showdoc.cfm?index=6018&sequence=0

CBO found that those men and women who had left the labor force even though they were not yet old enough to receive Social Security retired-worker benefits did so for a small number of reasons: The most frequent reason they offered for not working was that they were disabled--accounting for almost two-thirds of the men who were not in the labor force and two-fifths of the women. Most of the other men said that they were retired. Most of the other women said that they were retired, caring for others, or not interested in working.

People talk a lot about baby boomers working long past 65. After all, people are living longer. Well they are not necessarily healthier and living longer isn't that much longer.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 04:09 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

divorce may be lower between 50-60 but i bet murder is higher
Old 05-28-2006, 04:22 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Guess ya better quit working before 51 so that insidious work related disability wont happen, since you're not working. It'd then become an annoying disability during ER, which isnt well tracked by statistics. Hence, nothing to worry about.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 05-28-2006, 07:41 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Guess ya better quit working before 51 so that insidious work related disability wont happen, since you're not working.* It'd then become an annoying disability during ER, which isnt well tracked by statistics.* Hence, nothing to worry about.
No, you better quit working at 41 so you have at least 10 good years.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 06:07 AM   #15

Life is uncertain, always will be.* Do your homework and go with your gut.* Many people procrastinate wondering how much money is enough to retire.* Although money is needed to enjoy a decent retirement, time is the common enemy we all face.* Don't get analysis paralysis, just do it.*
Old 05-29-2006, 06:10 AM   #16

I've had two jobs shot out from under me since age 51. *Does that count twice? *

Since then, I've discovered this forum and I'm convinced that I can RE whenever I'm ready. *It's a question of the lifestyle DW and I are willing to be comfortable with. *I have decided to upgrade the travel and time off to enjoy life more even though I'm "working." *I do have to say my current job is almost stress free for two reasons *-- *(1) I believe I'd be OK financially if let go and (2) I'm a "worker bee" with no aspirations instead of the "high powered" manager I was before.

One "benefit" I supposedly get in my current job is unpaid time off without risking continued employment.* Family issues are currently limiting my travel time but I hope to start using this option in the near future.*
Old 05-29-2006, 06:40 AM   #17
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne
Life is uncertain, always will be.* Do your homework and go with your gut.* Many people procrastinate wondering how much money is enough to retire.* Although money is need to enjoy a decent retirement, time is the common enemy we all face.* Don't get analysis paralysis, just do it.*
Well said!

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 01:41 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
No, you better quit working at 41 so you have at least 10 good years.
Since I quit younger than that, should I presume that THESE are the GOOD years?

Good god.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Since I quit younger than that, should I presume that THESE are the GOOD years?

Good god.
Not to worry CFB. In your case I think it's a safe bet to presume the good years are already behind you.

Old 05-29-2006, 01:58 PM   #20

I was in the yes, yes column.

I think I have told you that I never intended to retire. I had a friend at work tell me about her parents. She said they had ten good years of retirement, then her mom got Alzheimers, and a good retirement turned sour. She convinced me that sooner or later one partner of a married couple will come down with some malady; afterwards everything revolves around doctor's appts, and medicine, and hospitals, etc. We made it thru the 50s, knock on wood, and so far the early 60s.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote