Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-24-2012, 06:22 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
We just watched the documentary and it was fantastic! Highly recommended!
Really interesting documentary. Honestly a bit scary... Sounds like most people are on the road to escape something... Lots of ugly people out there too.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2012, 08:18 AM   #22

I guess the one that struck such a chord with me was the Wall Street guy. He seemed so sure that what he was doing now was better than what he left. I wish to one day have that kind of assurance about my direction.

And I thought the train-jumping teen was unbelievably articulate for his background and current status. He reminded me a bit of the guy profiled in John Krakauer's Into the Wild.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:33 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Two years ago at 57 I had a very strong desire to count days until I could RE. However, working for a new boss who you can actually talk to is a big boost. I think I understand the OP thoughts. When you can walk away, but don't cause you really like it, it is a good feeling.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:57 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I guess the one that struck such a chord with me was the Wall Street guy. He seemed so sure that what he was doing now was better than what he left. I wish to one day have that kind of assurance about my direction.

And I thought the train-jumping teen was unbelievably articulate for his background and current status. He reminded me a bit of the guy profiled in John Krakauer's Into the Wild.
I wanted to identify with the Wall St. guy as I have a somewhat similar background but honestly, he didn't sound too happy with his lot.

Although I agree that he seemed happy to be away from Wall St. he seemed a bit like a Cain figure - wandering the world with nowhere to settle and no direction. When asked whether he would go back to the Wall St. life I couldn't understand from his answer whether he would or not. I thought it was a bit ambiguous.

He definitely seems like he wants to establish roots and have the picket fence lifestyle.

The Kumpfry guy reminded me of the "Into the Wild" character also. (A lot of the negative aspects regarding the naivety too.)

I thought the last guy who travels the mountains was pretty interesting too.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
I think I understand the OP thoughts. When you can walk away, but don't cause you really like it, it is a good feeling.
Yes, I didn't mention this explicitly but you definitely read into my thoughts.

It also gives comfort that you can walk away from a job if you aren't happy there anymore and stand up to a bully boss if needed without worrying about losing your job.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't knnow where to start with this but your aspirations bring back memories of my youth. I read books at a slow pace, fished daily and slept under the stars for up to 30 nights at a time. All this was done by age 12. By the age of 28 I was knee deep in obligations of a family nature and FIRE never even occurred to me. However, I plodded along pretty much doing what I liked and saved a big portion of my salary.
Everyone's on a different path. Have confidence in your abilities and do as you wish. Good luck
Old 03-09-2012, 04:15 AM   #27
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill View Post
You can go after FI and hold off on RE.
DH & I became FI at the end of last year & man, oh, man, what a sense of peace & relief that is! Now we can focus on accumulating wealth & make plans for RE and what that would look like. If you have a job you love, I say stick with it until you don't want to do it anymore. Most people seem to spend their entire lives looking for a job they love!