Join Early Retirement Today

Self Made
Old 05-04-2015, 07:54 AM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Self Made

Am certain that most of us wonder about retirement success. I missed this last year, but thought it might be an interesting "AHA!" moment for young dreamers.

Forbes list of the very wealthy and how they got there.
The New Forbes 400 Self-Made Score: From Silver Spooners To Bootstrappers - Forbes

There are several more linked articles about more recent self made wealthy individuals, who were bootstrappers.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2015, 08:56 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I found this interesting, I think many would be surprised by it:

Quote:
We also did the analysis for every 10 years going back to 1984. Looking at the numbers over time, the data lead us to an interesting insight: in 1984, less than half of people on The Forbes 400 were self-made; today, 69% of the 400 created their own fortunes.
-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 02:57 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think it would probably be harder to maintain wealth given to me than wealth i earned.

Hell, if i won 100,000 dollars today, i'd probably buy something nice. But if i earned a 100k bonus for a awesome quarter, i'd squirrel it all away.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 03:34 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly
-Thomas Paine
Travelwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:54 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I've always been a car guy--in spirit and as a profession.

I found myself earlier this year with the spare cash to buy a couple of new Ferrari's. Then I realized that if I stepped out and bought one, God would find a way for me to wrap it around a telephone pole.

We all have our place in this world. And the Ferrari World is not my place to be.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 05:11 PM   #6
gone traveling

30 years ago when I was starting out I looked at a similar list and noticed that many of the self made "people" had made their fortunes in very tangible professions such as Plumbing, manufacturing etc... Today's list is so different. Computer science skills are a must have for today's young dreamers.
zerogravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 05:42 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Those people are the .01 percenters. They beat the odds because social mobility is less now than it was some decades ago.

A lot of them may be tech entrepreneurs but for every Zuckerberg, there must be hundreds or thousands of tech entrepreneurs who don't become ultra rich.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:02 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

IQ is the new family name. Though of course IQ is highly heritable
someguy is offline   Reply With Quote