Join Early Retirement Today

Selling my Truck
Old 07-07-2008, 02:28 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Selling my Truck

Hello,

How do I figure out what is best in regards to my Ford F-150? I own it, but don't want to rick trying to sell it if gas prices get up to the $7-8 dollar range or higher. It only gets 14/18 mpg. I think I can get into something like a Hyundai Elantra or Ford Focus and still put about $6000 into my pocket, plus a gas savings of around $100 on a normal commuting month (no major trips). There is a balance of happy and being financially responsible. I like driving. Anyway, with having a nice bank account and driving a truck pretty much a draw, and moving toward rather having the money, would you trade down? It seems like an awful waste of money to have only driven the truck a few years. If gas was still under $2 I wouldn't think about trading it in.

-Raymond
popowich is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2008, 02:30 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Run the numbers very carefully. The bath you will take selling the truck vs. the current premium you'll pay for a econobox will buy a lot of gas, even at outrageous prices.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:36 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Now is not the time to unload a truck. REW is on the money, sit tight and let this oil thing play out.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 02:42 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I guess I wouldn't even think about swapping for an econobox in this environment. I'd instead look for something like an '05 Taurus.

But a question: do you drive the truck because you need the capacity of a truck? And how much do you drive annually?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:03 PM   #5

I agree with the above posters.
Look carefully at how much you can get for the truck and how much the premium you will pay for the car is. Most likely it is not worth it even if gas is headed to $7/gallon.
When it comes time for you to get a new vehicle, that is the time I would look for economy. Unfortunately the best time to do that was prior to last fall.
If the auto makers can start producing more, prices will come down again.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:04 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm in Rochester, New York. I average 9,000 miles/yr. It's a little over 3 years old with 27,000 miles and change on it. I like to go camping and stuff, and it's great in the winter, but it's not a necessity.

-Raymond
popowich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:09 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

At that relatively low annual mileage, it makes even less sense to trade for an economy car. If you're getting 15mpg on average, at 9k miles per year, you'll consume 600 gallons of gas. At $4.50 per gallon, that'd cost you $2,700 per year. If you double your gas mileage in a new car, you'll save $1,350 per year. You will NOT get whatever you might think your truck is worth. People are dumping SUVs and big trucks like crazy. I'd stick with the truck and enjoy it.
ProspectiveBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:10 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by popowich View Post
I'm in Rochester, New York. I average 9,000 miles/yr. It's a little over 3 years old with 27,000 miles and change on it. I like to go camping and stuff, and it's great in the winter, but it's not a necessity.

-Raymond

Keep the truck. You aren't going to break even by swapping for a sihtbox unless we get to $20 gasoline.

- George Orwell

Old 07-07-2008, 05:52 PM   #9

Anyone else hear the report on the radio about the guy trying to dump his 1 year old Escalade ($71K new) for an offer of $35K? He was upset that gas went up $1 a gallon since he bought it.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:14 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill View Post
Anyone else hear the report on the radio about the guy trying to dump his 1 year old Escalade ($71K new) for an offer of $35K? He was upset that gas went up $1 a gallon since he bought it.
Darwin award candidate?

- George Orwell

Old 07-07-2008, 06:16 PM   #11

Not unless he wraps his truck around a tree. He is still breeding
Old 07-07-2008, 08:34 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

One of my good friends got a 2007 LOADED GMC Envoy for $18,500 with 20,000 miles. That car was $37,000+ new!

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:08 PM   #13
gone traveling

My neighbor just bought a loaded 2008 F-150 4x4 with 2000 miles on it for $23,000. Sticker was over 35K- some idiot unloaded it at a 12K loss after owning it a month because gas jumped $1.00/gallon. He apparently felt he was saving money buying a little box. At a nominal 10 miles/gallon difference and $4.00/gallon it will take him 30,000 miles in the sihtbox just to break even- not counting the cost of the money- ya gotta love the logic. Or, put another way, my neighbor can drive the F-150 45,000 miles at 15mpg for the $12,000 he saved!
I'm looking for a similar deal.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:28 AM   #14

I bought a 2003 GMC 4WD pickup new and plan on keeping it. I use about a tank and a half of gas, maybe two, in a month. In the current market it'd be dumb to try to sell it so I just plan on keeping and enjoying what I bought it for.

Besides, how else would I get my boat to the river?
Old 07-08-2008, 07:05 AM   #15

I bought my tundra last year for a reason...I need it to haul stuff. In a year, I think I put about 4000 miles or so on it...will be more when we move back to the states. Ever try towing 2-3000 pounds of concrete with an elantra? We use the 20-24mpg honda odyssey for things that don't require the pickup. If gas continues to go up, we may get a small car for zipping about town, but I don't see the economics of that until we need to drive 12k miles a year or so. (just used on visits to the US right now).

I think that if you were planning to lose 12k or so on the sale of a truck or SUV, you would be smarter to keep it and just buy a toyota yaris or something...about $12-13k, and you would still have the truck for towing things, and camping etc.
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:30 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
I bought my tundra last year for a reason...I need it to haul stuff. In a year, I think I put about 4000 miles or so on it...will be more when we move back to the states. Ever try towing 2-3000 pounds of concrete with an elantra? We use the 20-24mpg honda odyssey for things that don't require the pickup. If gas continues to go up, we may get a small car for zipping about town, but I don't see the economics of that until we need to drive 12k miles a year or so. (just used on visits to the US right now).
Keep in mind the Odyssey can tow 3500 pounds if you have the towing package......... I love mine, and when I get the aluminum boat I have my eye on,it will pull it.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:33 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Keep in mind the Odyssey can tow 3500 pounds if you have the towing package......... I love mine, and when I get the aluminum boat I have my eye on,it will pull it.........
Thus far, teh Odyssey has done a good job towing our travel trailer. 2500# when empty, and roughly 3000# when loaded for a trip.

- George Orwell

Old 07-08-2008, 07:39 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Dumping a guzzler to buy an econobox in this environment is like selling financials in the current market environment to buy commodities.

Unless gas spikes to $10+ a gallon it would take you MANY years to make up the amount of money you lose by selling this asset at a deep discount, plus the potential to pay a premium to get an econobox today.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:55 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I guess I wouldn't even think about swapping for an econobox in this environment. I'd instead look for something like an '05 Taurus.

But a question: do you drive the truck because you need the capacity of a truck? And how much do you drive annually?
Good advice...A v6 right now if you dont do a lot of driving would by my choice, also....
Old 07-08-2008, 07:59 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Dumping a guzzler to buy an econobox in this environment is like selling financials in the current market environment to buy commodities.

Unless gas spikes to $10+ a gallon it would take you MANY years to make up the amount of money you lose by selling this asset at a deep discount, plus the potential to pay a premium to get an econobox today.
Unfortunately it's probably too late to make the economics work in your favor so you should keep the truck from a $ standpoint if you intend to keep it for (whatever is for you) the long haul. However, if you're waiting for a better time to sell, I think it's unlikely so unfortunately the $ hit for you is better now than it will be. The economics are already not good for you to trade, but it will most likely only get worse, ie, you'd save more if gas gets to $10/gal but you'll get even less for your truck if you can sell it at all. Good luck, a predicament that a lot of people are in.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote