Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-18-2008, 08:29 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I am 62 years old and I think the idea sucks. I have fallen in and out of love scores of times. It is a lot easier to find a suitable wife than it is to spend all of your time, money and heartbreak missing each other. Love comes and goes all too easily and all too quickly. On the other hand, you have only once chance to fully prepare yourself for the future - be that financial development, career development, or just time to live life to the fullest.

Best piece of advise I've ever heard is this: NEVER stay stuck at a fork in the road. Choose a road, and follow it. You will never know where the other road went. You sound stuck to me!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2008, 08:52 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Maddy, just wondering what you decided to do in the end.
Well....we are still getting to know each other again so we havent jumped on anything yet but I feel that we will end up together...I will be visting for a month at the start of the year...

Old 11-19-2008, 10:33 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo View Post
Best piece of advise I've ever heard is this: NEVER stay stuck at a fork in the road. Choose a road, and follow it. You will never know where the other road went. You sound stuck to me!
I actually think that is good advice Things have kinda fallen apart after just 6 months and 3 years together before that and havent moved.....I actually started seeing a counselor with emphasis on family issues and very much thinks it is time to move on as does my family and friends...It appears the feelings turned out not to be as mutual and she maybe was responding to me just putting myself out there, but I am ok with it...as everything has said to me, there are a lot of "red flags" here and even stuff from our past together that I didnt quite understand until now. I wont list them here but some pretty crazy stuff that she knows that she needs to work through and not sure she has really put a full effort into. So happy about resolution of things and not having to worry about house and job right now....Not sure I could have done much there for awhile anyway with the economy....Now looking to just get out more and meet some new people that I have been doing...
Old 11-19-2008, 10:48 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Mad, if you live part of the year in away from Wisconsin, will you be able to work part of the year at the job you have now? That is what I am not getting. If you can, then great!

How about her? Can she find stable work that would allow being away half the year?
Mad, where in Wisconsin do you live?:confused:

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 10:50 AM   #25

I am in the NW part of the state...
Old 11-19-2008, 11:50 AM   #26

The important thing is you won't die wondering if only I had of pursued the option. Even if things did not turn out the way you might have hoped, it sounds like you are in a good place and you can get some type of closure.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 03:00 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
The important thing is you won't die wondering if only I had of pursued the option. Even if things did not turn out the way you might have hoped, it sounds like you are in a good place and you can get some type of closure.

I like it, DM. Kind of a "nothing ventured, nothing gained" situation....... I went to a HS reunion 3 years ago, and I met up with TWO ex girlfriends. BOY, am I GLAD things didn't work out with us back then.......

Old 11-19-2008, 04:37 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I like it, DM. Kind of a "nothing ventured, nothing gained" situation....... I went to a HS reunion 3 years ago, and I met up with TWO ex girlfriends. BOY, am I GLAD things didn't work out with us back then.......
I suspect that there are a few funny stories there...Yeah, it certainly is good to live your life without regrets but at the same time, know when it is time to move on and dont try to change anybody or make a situation into something that you want!

I do miss her, though
Old 11-19-2008, 04:56 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
The saddest words of tongue or pen
May be perhaps, "It might have been,"
The sweetest words we know, by heck,
Are only these "Enclosed find check!"
- (don't know)
Old 11-20-2008, 10:49 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle View Post
Now looking to just get out more and meet some new people that I have been doing...
Here's another hint from an old hand at "meeting new people"... get involved in local politics. Not national or State, but local city, county politics. Lots of good networking, plus it keeps you away from the useless bar scene. In time you can perhaps run for City Council or County Supervisor - and believe me, you have to beat the girls off with a stick .

I was on the City Council for 4 years and I met more people (particularly smart, pretty women) than I could schedule time to meet!
Old 11-20-2008, 01:13 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo View Post
Here's another hint from an old hand at "meeting new people"... get involved in local politics. Not national or State, but local city, county politics. Lots of good networking, plus it keeps you away from the useless bar scene. In time you can perhaps run for City Council or County Supervisor - and believe me, you have to beat the girls off with a stick .

I was on the City Council for 4 years and I met more people (particularly smart, pretty women) than I could schedule time to meet!
city council groupees? I am not worried about...I already have a few people that I am talking with and know of some other places to hit....No bars....yeah, that is pretty worthless
Old 11-20-2008, 01:19 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Too bad the big election's over, Maddy--you could have found a soulmate at one of the candidates' campaign offices!

If I were a guy looking to meet women I would find a friend who was married to a teacher, preferably an elementary school teacher and let the wife set me up with teacher friends--seems like that field both has more women than men working in it, and doesn't afford much opportunity for the women to meet men.

If I were looking to meet men I would take technical classes at our community college.... or hang out at the driving range....
Old 11-21-2008, 11:22 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
If I were a guy looking to meet women I would find a friend who was married to a teacher, preferably an elementary school teacher and let the wife set me up with teacher friends--seems like that field both has more women than men working in it, and doesn't afford much opportunity for the women to meet men.
Not to mention they get a pension and awesome health care benefits........

Old 11-21-2008, 06:07 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post

I 'd probably try to be introduced to some nurses . They make good money and are usually big at partying to combat the stress of their job .
Plus they give excellent back rubs !
Old 11-21-2008, 06:27 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Teachers and nurses, huh? Guess I need to visit more with my neighbors (who only come up on weekends)......she is a nurse (and her sister-in-law is a teacher)...
Old 11-21-2008, 07:43 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakedog View Post
Teachers and nurses, huh? Guess I need to visit more with my neighbors (who only come up on weekends)......she is a nurse (and her sister-in-law is a teacher)...
Certified Financial statements a must. You don't won't any major liabilities at this stage of the game.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:33 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I 'd probably try to be introduced to some nurses . They make good money and are usually big at partying to combat the stress of their job .
Plus they give excellent back rubs !
Most of the old girl friends I still think about, even after many years, are nurses. They work hard, party hard, and deal all day and/or night with a very heavy dose of reality. Not a lot of room for affectations.

They seem to be good at seeing what is real about a person, and let him(me) know in a light way they are hip to the sh*t.

Ha
Old 11-22-2008, 04:25 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Ah ha, suddenly we hear the voices of experience come out in this forum. Old heartbreaks that never quite made it to the church on time! Nurses are good - I think their knowledge of the human body makes them better lovers. Never had a chance to test drive a teacher, but I can guess after spending all day in a classroom full of kids would drive any woman crazy.... sometimes crazy women are fun (but not good wives).

Having said all that, I still contend that politics is the best way to find a new woman in your life. My good friend ex-President Bill Clinton, who is an expert in his field, confirmed my opinion!
Old 11-22-2008, 12:09 PM   #39
Dryer sheet aficionado

A lot of wisdom on this thread...thanks guys and girls!
bd68