Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Semi-retirement at 33?
Old 02-28-2006, 06:20 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well, its academic. The wife is still pestering me for a second baby, and I havent decided yet whether I'm done with it. When I do, I may get "snipped". Ick. Just typing it gives me the creeps.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2006, 06:21 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Old joke, but still funny.

A tourist observes the castration of a camel.

The "operation" proceeds with the owner squashing the camels testicles with two bricks.

"Doesn't that hurt," said the tourist?

"Only if you get your thumbs caught."

Old 03-01-2006, 02:53 PM   #63
Confused about dryer sheets

I think if it is something you and your wife really want to do, you should just do it. Don't worry about what anyone else thinks. This is YOUR life. You have to make yourselves happy. My husband and I would love to retire early. We have our own little plan for how we plan to accomplish this, and we too have decided not to have children. We are avid outdoors people and want to be able to spend time doing the things we love while we still can. Why backpack the Hayduke trail at 60 if I can do it at 35 or 40? The point is, if you have the money, and you both want to do it, stop questioning yourself and go for it. You only live once. Why not enjoy your life now? I know the last time I spoke with my grandfather he told me to enjoy life now, not to wait until I was his age and had to see everything from inside a car becuase I wasn't in the shape to make a 5 mile hike anymore. I know this all sounds very cliche, but it is so true. I only wish my husband and I were in the position you are in now. Even with our plan, it will probably still be 10-15 (he's 33, I'm 24) years from now before we will even be able to think about doing this. Good luck and Carpe Diem!

Newanda (see Dead Poet's Society)
Old 06-19-2007, 06:34 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

i havent read much but the first few posts of this thread, but...

i say go for it. you seem to have made up your mind and are looking for re-assurance...so...here it is: GO FOR IT

you're 33, could be debt free, and must be smart enough to get through some rough times if need be. hopefully the need wont arise, but if they do...you could make it through im sure

good luck
Old 06-19-2007, 06:35 PM   #65

oops....sorry for reviving this one

can the OP give us an update?
Old 06-25-2007, 09:02 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

I am not sure exactly how it works in canada... but it sounds like you canucks have the health care angle covered. That would beone of my concerns.

Bottom line, DW and I have been planning on RE @ 55 for a long time. We are still targeting that age. DW may RE earlier (not sure).

Anyway, once we get Health Care benes covered... we can RE. But, we are 25 years older than you.

IMHO - I would probably work longer. If you have your act together, you can probably target 40's and pull it off for good. It appears to me that to do so, you need to focus on maximizing your earnings in the next 10 years and invest appropriately.

Bottom line, one or both of you are likely to live till 90's. Supporting yourselves for 60 years takes money. Work now while you are able and feel able. Let's assume that you are healthy and able to work until 65, the only question is whether or not you need to work. You will be much less motivated at 50 than 30. Work and save now. Target Full Retirement later.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:11 PM   #67

[quote=chinaco;529374]I am not sure exactly how it works in canada... but it sounds like you canucks have the health care angle covered. That would beone of my concerns.
quote]

Affordable health care is not much of a concern up here. There was a time when I was between jobs and DH was doing consulting work where we had to get private healthcare coverage. It cost us $200/month for family coverage (DH was 33 and I was 31) and included 80% prescription coverage, dental and vision care. It does go up as you get older but it still wouldn't cost as much as it does in the States.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:54 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
I am not sure exactly how it works in canada... but it sounds like you canucks have the health care angle covered. That would beone of my concerns.
And doctors' care and hospitalization can be had for $100/mo per family. Usually no extra charges. Certain procedures cost extra. Medicare insurance covers basic things and older technology. If you want the latest, you can pay extra.

BTW usually the dental, vision, drugs plans have an annual deductible and copay. There are limits such as new glasses/contacts every two years based on needed prescription changes.

So you need to budget for the extras/copays.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:56 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximillion View Post
Nova Scotia, pretty in the Summer but the people can be pretty unfriendly to outsiders.
Generalizations and stereotypes are dangerous; certainly, they are always subject to exceptions. That said, my own experience suggests there is some truth to the above comment. Even after you've lived there for 20 years, you will still be an "Upper Canadian" to the locals.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:45 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
My wife can also apply for a 1-year Leave of Absence from her job, renewable for up to 5 years. It basically means that she is guaranteed a job at the same salary if she comes back. Therefore, if things really didn’t work out in NS we simply move back to Ottawa, she gets her job back, and I start looking for work.
I think this 'insurance' makes all the difference. Knowing that you have that security in your hip pocket certainly minimizes the risk.

Quote:
Friends? Does it sound weird to say we don't really have any friends? We have some acquaintances and we have people we work with, but no friends. We don't go out Friday night to the bars with a bunch of people. We drive to our little cottage (where I am at now) and spend the weekend hiding from the world. I had some friends in University, but slowly everyone moved away or lost touch. The one person I considered my best friend basically stopped talking to me when I started making twice what he made.
Whatever works for you. However, numerous studies have shown that a support network of friends is usually a key ingredient to mental health and happiness in retirement. See generally A Network of Friends Crucial for Happiness - after retirement - Brief Article USA Today (Society for the Advancement of Education) - Find Articles. My free advice is to develop some hobbies, join a church or community group, get active with your university alumni association, etc.: anything that will bring you into frequent contact with congenial other people and nuture possible friendships.

A Question for you: how did your (former) best friend learn how much money you were making?
Old 06-29-2007, 07:57 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Well, its academic. The wife is still pestering me for a second baby, and I havent decided yet whether I'm done with it. When I do, I may get "snipped". Ick. Just typing it gives me the creeps.
There's always going back to wearing "The Connie" full time. I think the snip might be a better choice.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:32 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

If I may summarize:

Eric,

Get a vasectomy and move to Nova Scotia. And take some time off to work on your asterisk problem.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:43 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

My brother got snipped, and said it was painless, and needless to say he LOVES it now. All the sex the wife will give him with no condoms, no birth-control, and no worries.

My wife has horrible horrible periods though (painful for her), so fixing her may be better for her in the longterm
Old 06-30-2007, 09:06 PM   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigritchie View Post
My brother got snipped, and said it was painless, and needless to say he LOVES it now. All the sex the wife will give him with no condoms, no birth-control, and no worries.

My wife has horrible horrible periods though (painful for her), so fixing her may be better for her in the longterm
A tubal will have no effect on her periods; an ablation or hysterectomy might.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:52 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Take some time off to work on your asterisk problem.
Right on!
Old 07-09-2007, 02:55 PM   #76
Dryer sheet aficionado

Update

Got a few PM's of late asking about our situation. Figured I'd just update the thread.

On the house. It got sold out from underneath us. We were pretty devastated. It had been sitting on the market for over a year and half, so we felt little need to be in a rush, fly out and see the place, etc. So we booked a nearby oceanfront cottage for the week of March Break (paid our deposit and everything) with the plans of driving out, seeing the place, and making an offer. 2 weeks before we were to leave, the owners received and accepted an offer. We were stunned. It had never occured to us that after 1.5 years of just sitting there on the market that there was any danger of an offer coming in. We put in a standing offer for list price should the deal fall thru, but the deal went thru. To add insult to injury, we couldn't get our deposit back on the cottage we had booked. Thankfully, the owner let us change the date to the summer and we got to enjoy a nice week by the ocean later that summer.

Set a bit of a precedent for us. We just came back from a week on the North-Eastern tip of Prince Edward Island, and we're probably booking another ocean front cottage next summer.

Since then, we have been continuing to look for another property but nothing is really jumping out. I know it sounds funny to say that we haven't been able to find anything in a year and a half, but our experiences with neighbours/noise/music has made us EXTREMELY particular about what we want. It won't be any good to make some major life change only to end up next to some yahoos that blare gansta' rap at all hours of the night. Actually thinking about smaller acreage but oceanfront. We discovered with our two stays in the Atlantic provinces that the ocean creates white noise that drowns out alot.

Aside from that, still thinking about doing "the plan". Continued to pay down the mortgage, increase our savings, etc. But coming into work is getting harder and harder, and I hate it more and more.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:38 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yep. If you don't take it easy for a few days afterward, they damn sure will!
Time to stock up on frozen peas..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:49 PM   #78

Quote:
On the house. It got sold out from underneath us. We were pretty devastated. It had been sitting on the market for over a year and half, so we felt little need to be in a rush, fly out and see the place, etc. So we booked a nearby oceanfront cottage for the week of March Break (paid our deposit and everything) with the plans of driving out, seeing the place, and making an offer. 2 weeks before we were to leave, the owners received and accepted an offer. We were stunned. It had never occured to us that after 1.5 years of just sitting there on the market that there was any danger of an offer coming in.
Been there, done that. All I can say is: if you find something that seems like a 'keeper', don't let the grass grow under your feet. However, this is much easier said that done, as major purchases can be difficult to decide on.

Quote:
Set a bit of a precedent for us. We just came back from a week on the North-Eastern tip of Prince Edward Island, and we're probably booking another ocean front cottage next summer.
Renting once or twice a year while you away at a distasteful job is a short-term option that should considered. You will not be the only one in that situation: listen to Martha & the Muffins' 1980 hit, Echo Beach [].
Old 07-18-2007, 06:20 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigritchie View Post
For anyone thinking of getting one... Get a non-scalpel vasectomy.. not that I can compare it to the other one, but mine was extremely painless and the recovery was a snap.

Shave very well beforehand and the nurse won't have to do it for you.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:31 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webzter View Post
mine was extremely painless and the recovery was a snap.
I dunno--I wouldn't use the word "snap" when recommending vasectomy.

(Sorry, I'll find something better to do...)