Serious Management Challenge: BOHICA Syndrome

brewer12345

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
"The term has also been used to describe a business managerial problem. Published in Wiley InterScience journal, the article "The BOHICA syndrome: a symptom of cynicism towards change initiatives", identifies "the importance of demonstrating the credibility and logic of managerial action and allowing for incremental change wherever possible in addressing the problem". In example, "Beverly Olson keeps giving me the BOHICA treatment.""

BOHICA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For those not familiar with the term, BOHICA = Bend Over Here It Comes Again

Its a problem in most organizations, I would think. I just thought it was funny that someone actyually named a syndrome after it.

Its a problem in most organizations, I would think. I just thought it was funny that someone actyually named a syndrome after it.

We have certainly faced those problems several times the Megacorp we worked in. Once we knew it was coming folks would say, "I hope they use plenty KY/vaseline this time!! "

Another common problem in business that became a problem treatable by psychologists was "Encore Syndrome", which described the increasing pressure on folks who were rewarded for a successful venture/project by being expected to do even better next time around.

I'm slightly surprised that they haven't named our entire organisation after it. :cool:

ETA: 61 w*rking days to go!

Last edited:
DD#1, a CPA working for a large privately owned local firm, has recently finally admitted to herself she's a victim of both the "Encore Syndrome" and the "Boiling Frog Syndrome". Success bred more workload, added incrementally in small doses until 12+ hour days and working weekends became the standard.

Success bred more workload, added incrementally in small doses until 12+ hour days and working weekends became the standard.

Since promotions generally come with a new "opportunity," around here this is known as "if you promote me, I will quit."

DD#1, a CPA working for a large privately owned local firm, has recently finally admitted to herself she's a victim of both the "Encore Syndrome" and the "Boiling Frog Syndrome". Success bred more workload, added incrementally in small doses until 12+ hour days and working weekends became the standard.

Yes, this sounds vaguely familiar, sans the 12 hour day and weekends. But the trapped feeling sounds about right. And the cynicism. I think that is the Gen X birthright.

The megacorp that I was at did this particularly stupidly.

They offered bonuses of up to a year's pay for employees who left voluntarily. You guessed it - the good employees with marketable skills took the money and ran to another employer (and in some cases reappeared months later as "consultants") and the slackers who didn't have a prayer of getting hired elsewhere decided to stay. A particularly stupid way to reduce labor costs. I considered the offer but decided to stick it out since I had just been recently promoted.

Then a few years later, they hired a consultant for a corporate-wide initiative to study opportunities to make our operations more efficient and effective. Fair enough - a number of reasonably credible opportunities were identified. Then they estimated the number of jobs that would not be needed once those opportunities were implemented. Fair enough as well.

But then the numbskulls laid off that number of people without completing implementation of the operations restructuring so we ended up with less people doing the same work and no resources to effect the restructuring opportunities. After that round of stupidity I had had enough and moved on.

But then the numbskulls laid off that number of people without completing implementation of the operations restructuring so we ended up with less people doing the same work and no resources to effect the restructuring opportunities. After that round of stupidity I had had enough and moved on.
But... but... but... how else would the company free up the cashflow to fund the capex to implement the processes? You couldn't expect them to pay for that out of a credit line or executive compensation!

At my mega corp, senior leadership changes so often that there's always a new initiative going on...we just grin, nod and tell each other 'this too shall pass'

"There'll be a lot of changes around here, but they won't affect you. You won't be here..."

I finally realized a few months before I FIREd that I had a bad case of Boiling Frog Syndrome and that's what ultimately drove me to leave. It took nearly 6 months to fully recover, but the good news is that it is a fully curable disease:D

You should ask yourself, with every decision you make, " IS THIS GOOD FOR THE COMPANY?"

While think I understand your point, if that was the criterion, I would never have RE'd. :dance:

Wow, I just got pulled into the latest "quality" program here at work. Had to watch a video then participate in a "round table" discussion. I tried to get by with a "no comment" but couldn't get a pass. Told them it was a horrible depressing video (it showed how late/overbudget our last 10 major projects were and then mentioned BRAC at the end).

Apparently it was supposed to motivate me.

Apparently it was supposed to motivate me.
"So, Mr. Bimmerbill, after seeing the video and participating in the discussion, can you share with the group how motivated you are about early retirement now?"

I'm just glad that the Navy's Nuclear Propulsion Examining Board never had the brilliant idea to bring video cameras into submarine enginerooms...

Can I beat the drum for contracting again?

There is pleasure in being paid for overtime. There is joy in knowing you are independent.

You do have to take care of yourself, though.

Back
Top Bottom