Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Share: Age, Salary,profession, Total monthly expense, net worth, and stuff!
Old 04-24-2007, 11:14 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by accountingsucks
Anyone else depressed with all the salaries posted here? I thought the median household salary is somethin like 60K....lol. Of course people making 200K+ can FIRE early. I think only myself and one other person posted a salary under 100K...I guess we are both gonna have to work forever...........
AS - I wouldn't get too upset. From what I've seen everything works out somehow, there still is no free lunch. Sure many people here have higher salaries, but many of us have higher expenses to go along with them. You posted in a thread recently about your monthly expenses and I believe my property taxes alone are more than your total housing costs.

It sounds like you're doing a good job, you have nothing to be upset about.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2007, 03:10 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9
AS - I wouldn't get too upset. From what I've seen everything works out somehow, there still is no free lunch. Sure many people here have higher salaries, but many of us have higher expenses to go along with them.
*nods* we could make twice as much by moving to a coast, but our expenses would be twice as high, not to mention the stress. in another few years I could probably get a good research gig in corporate America, but one round of that game caused me enough stress that I'm not sure I would live to spend my zillions if I went back. So why bother?

Old 04-24-2007, 06:57 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Age - 30

Income - Including bonus and firm 401(k) contribution, about $115K

Profession - Lawyer

Monthly expenses - about $2,900

Net worth - about $200k

Stuff - Funky old house that's a 20-minute walk from my office, Nissan 350Z, Specialized Epic Marathon (this is a mountain bike)
Old 04-24-2007, 07:56 PM   #64

Quote:
Anyone else depressed with all the salaries posted here? I thought the median household salary is somethin like 60K....lol. Of course people making 200K+ can FIRE early. I think only myself and one other person posted a salary under 100K...I guess we are both gonna have to work forever...........
Actually the median household salary is only 45K and the median individual salary is only around 36K. Other than when i'm on this site, i'm quite happy with my 45k/yr. If I made 200k/yr I would save 150 and retire in 10 years. Even on my income (which is nearly maxed out) I expect to retire by age 49.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:26 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879
If I made 200k/yr I would save 150 and retire in 10 years.
I wish it would work like that.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:55 PM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpi
I wish it would work like that.
It sure doesn't.............

Maybe I should have gone the $55,000 a year route, and earned a COLA pension of $44000 a year for life................

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:55 PM   #67

Age - 30

Income - varies greatly, due to a record-breaking contract I managed for 2 years. After the end of this year, my 11 year average will have been about $134k/year. However, the stress, insanity, ridiculousness and grief I've had to endure is something no 20-something (much less a more seasoned 30/40 something) should ever have to endure. Even worse is that it was a large part due to immediate family members. So much so that my path will diverge and pursue a more enjoyable profession next year once this stupid project I'm handcuffed to ends.

NW - currently 930k, but if I received my year-end bonus for 2007 in 2006 (when I rightfully should have received it), it would be roughly 1,118k.

Profession - construction project manager/engineer

Monthly expenses - still 'house-sit' for relatives half of the time, so my total 2006 expenses were $12,729 - including $5,300 spent on a month in New Zealand (and buying more crap than I should have ), as well as a party for my family/friends when I came back. A lot of expenses paid by the company (car, gas, car insurance, health insurance, cell phone) helps in adding healthy incremental gains to my NW.

Stuff - still looking for that special someone, so no comments on that (I do have utterly priceless memories of being engaged to a psycho ex-fiance, as well as a few relationships since then). However, since I'm easy to please and enjoy too many things, I'm perfectly content biding my time until the right one comes along, and planning what we will enjoy together at the right time.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:14 AM   #68

age 34.
salary (me) is 68k
wife (age 32) makes 44k

save around 12-13k per year to 401ks and Roth

Net worth was between 50k-75k last I looked.
We have 145k in retirement accounts (100k my 401k, 25k my Roth, 10k her 401k, 10k her rolllover, 3k small rollover for me)
We owe around 320k on our mortgage

no kids yet
Old 04-25-2007, 02:31 PM   #69
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'll chime in - just to give balance to the lower end of the spectrum

me: 50, DH will be 60 this year

combined income: we are at our all time high of about $105,000

monthly expenses: $7,000 (includes nearly equal alimony - ouch - and house payment). The first may end in 3 years; the latter 7-10 years.

net worth: about $850,000

I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:25 AM   #70

Quote:
I don't see the point in such comparison exercises, and decline to engage in them. They just encourage smugness in those who have more, and envy in those who have less. Neither of those emotions are attractive or helpful.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:27 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton
I don't see the point in such comparison exercises, and decline to engage in them. They just encourage smugness in those who have more, and envy in those who have less. Neither of those emotions are attractive or helpful.
My thoughts exactly, hence my reference to comparing gentalia size.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 12:34 PM   #72

Income: $199,000 (combined)

Total monthly expenses: $5,000 (CAD)

Net worth: $1.25 million (CAD)

We have no debt, so our total monthly expenses includes all of our regular household expenses and discretionary spending (ie. utilities, spending money, contributions to the kid's university fund, food budget, vacation fund, etc.)
Old 04-27-2007, 06:13 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton
I think it's human nature/human curiousity to compare. I'm below a 6 figure salary, I like posting how I'm doing, because it makes me proud of where I've gotten myself, with what I've got to work with.

income: 73k

profession: technical fashion designer (I make clothing fit properly)

monthly expenses: $1800 (including rent/utilities/fun money)

net worth: 47k (not counting stuff I could sell)

Stuff - some lovely jewelry, from my more spendy days. lots of books, which I do sell on half.com when I'm done with them, the usual furniture, pots, computer, 2 cats (1 really, the other is the BFs, but I can't bear to say she isn't a part of MY/OUR family too. if we split, I get 1, he gets the other).

random facts - don't own a home, but rour ent is great for manhatten (BF & I each pay about $600 to live together), paid off over 20k in debt in 3 years, in the beginning, my salary was 37k (I was around 23 when that started), AND filled up my roth each year), fill up my Roth every year still, put 8% of my salary in my 401k, with a 100% match on the first 3% (bumping that up to 9% in a month). I save about $1050 a month of my take-home (so that doesn't count what goes into the 401k). I probably spent about $250/mo on organic foods & suppliments (I'm 70% raw, which means that about 70% of the food I eat every day is raw fruit, veggies, sprouted grains, etc).

oh, and I don't wear a bra (not comfy), so I really don't know exactly what size they are, but my boobies make me perfectly happy, just the way they are.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:11 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celany
oh, and I don't wear a bra (not comfy), so I really don't know exactly what size they are, but my boobies make me perfectly happy, just the way they are.
Now we really need a picture!!
Old 04-27-2007, 07:56 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpi
Now we really need a picture!!
Preferably an "action shot".

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:34 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Preferably an "action shot".
Perhaps to chariots of fire theme song?
Old 04-28-2007, 02:20 AM   #77
Confused about dryer sheets

I'll play

salary: $54,000
profession: retail manager
total monthly expense: $2000
NW: $73,000
stuff: 05' 4runner and a bunch of stuff i never use because i'm a slave to my job... k2 snowboard, trek mountain bike, fender acoustic.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:12 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

I echo brew's and mwsinron's sentiment. Comparing... mine is bigger than yours! Seems a little sophomoric. Of course, this is not being overtly stated by anyone, but it is going on in the minds of some people.

I think the poster was just curious about their relative postion and trying to understand if they are above or below peers on the board.

That said... Hello tiny (sorry... I was just kidding... couldn't resist).

As most of you, I find the information interesting... But personally, I am little careful about what I divulge for privacy concerns. But when I do share info, it is the truth (certain facts are kept veiled). Why... because I am looking for reflection and feedback from peer FIRE folks. How are others progressing and how did they accomplish their goal?

Bottom line: If you are doing very well, consider yourself blessed. If you are just starting your path to FI and thinking about how to improve yourself and acting on it, you will get there and are on the right path.

Old 04-28-2007, 08:07 AM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco

Bottom line: If you are doing very well, consider yourself blessed. If you are just starting your path to FI and thinking about how to improve yourself and acting on it, you will get there and are on the right path.
Thanks--needed to hear that today. all these young turks with double our net worth have been making me second-guess life choices--but we're doing better than the vast majority of 30-year olds and are set to do even better than that going forward.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:59 AM   #80

Good point chinaco (even if I disagree with you on the 0% cc thing ;-) ).

When I do compare myself, I prefer to compare myself to those large data samples -- average net worth across the US, average US household income, etc. The folks here are a very select group...because of the subject matter most are probably very wealthy, a lot are middle aged I think, and so comparing yourself against the entire group here, especially if you're younger or not as far down the wealth path, could be discouraging. Add to that when these thread crop up the people who post are those who are in the upper portion of this select group reading this board, and it gets even worse.

I bet there's a lot of folks reading this board that have relatively decent incomes but are younger and therefore have net worths in the 0 to 200k range who aren't posting on this thread.

2Cor521

"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
net worth