Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Sharing Thoughts on FIRE
Old 08-12-2005, 01:38 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowGirl
Plus there is the fact that it would be nice if some of our friends jumped on board with FIRE so that we would be able to hang out with them more in retirement.* We know many cool people that would be fun to take an extended vacation with (charter cruise, ski trips, camping, etc.), but that will be tough to do if they are tied to a 9 to 5 job with only 2 weeks vacation a year.* I fear that post ER will end up being a little lonely.
Ah, now, see, there's a problem. You're trying to coerce your cool friends into a different lifestyle.

It's tough to predict that these cool people will be fun to have on an extended vacation unless you've actually done that with them. Even if you enjoyed the experience, I bet a considerable portion of the time was spent bitching about discussing work. It may have been memorable solely for being so difficult to coordinate among work/family responsibilities.

OTOH there are plenty of other cool people already on extended vacations, but you have to go to those ski slopes & campgrounds to find them. Or you have to go out & about your local neighborhood at 10:15 AM Tuesday morning. The difference is that these people are already ER and couldn't care less about workplace politics.

Our still-working local neighbors & friends are slowly dropping down the roster as they're being supplanted by new friends who can play anytime. The only workplace friends that I see regularly are the ones who have a life outside work and who are well along the road to ER already. Old shipmates are still dropping by (we have friends visiting from Japan next week who we haven't seen in over a decade) but our conversations aren't about the workplace-- they're about "But waddya DO all day?" We sit them down on our back lanai with a frosty beverage, smile gently, and begin corrupting them... it doesn't take long.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2005, 02:07 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Plus there is the fact that it would be nice if some of our friends jumped on board with FIRE so that we would be able to hang out with them more in retirement.
My experience is that with every stage in life, your friend base changes (stages of school, work, when get married) and I suspect when retire, it will be the same thing. I plan to do some volunteering and I suspect that doing that I will find a lot of people with "free time" (although they might be a little older, ). I will have time to spend with the wage slaves on the weekends...

Old 08-12-2005, 05:48 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle
I will have time to spend with the wage slaves on the weekends...
If they're not working overtime or catching up on their family & domestic chores...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:54 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Any of y'all already retired folks find this to be the case?:

My Dad retired at 55 and ended up becoming everyone's personal assistant, after all, what else would he do all day? Emergency day care, go up early to the campground to hold the spots, meet repairmen, feed cats while you were away, etc.

I have tried not to tap him too much (he really seems o.k. with the occasional granddaughter-sitting ) but I wonder, is this another reason to not share your FIRE status?
Old 08-12-2005, 05:59 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
My Dad retired at 55 and ended up becoming everyone's personal assistant, after all, what else would he do all day? Emergency day care, go up early to the campground to hold the spots, meet repairmen, feed cats while you were away, etc.
When going to college, I wanted to be far enough away that no one could make quick trips to surprise me, but close enough that I could get home easily when necessary.

Possibly the same is required in retirement?
Old 08-12-2005, 06:00 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

My Dad retired at 55 and ended up becoming everyone's personal assistant, after all, what else would he do all day?* Emergency day care, go up early to the campground to hold the spots, meet repairmen, feed cats while you were away, etc.*
Heck, yeah. *"Hey, you're the retired guy doing nothing all day, can you take care of this for me? *Wait, where are you going?!? *Don't point that at me!!!"

I say "Yes" to the people for whom I enjoy doing favors and "No, thank you" to those I don't. *Usually the latter weed themselves out after one or two attempts, but you gotta be firm. *I never offer a reason for my refusal other than Miss Manners' "I have something else to take care of then." *

Emily Post & Ann Landers (and probably a host of other self-help gurus) say that no one can take advantage of us unless we give them our permission...

Old 08-12-2005, 06:23 PM   #47

Quote:

My Dad retired at 55 and ended up becoming everyone's personal assistant, after all, what else would he do all day?* Emergency day care, go up early to the campground to hold the spots, meet repairmen, feed cats while you were away, etc.*

I have tried not to tap him too much (he really seems o.k. with the occasional granddaughter-sitting* ) but I wonder, is this another reason to not share your FIRE status?*
Laurence: Hope you're not taking advantage of dear old dad.

My wife and I were discussing this very subject the other night, after a phone-call from one of my daughters.

We love our kids, but they live 250, and 300 miles away. Close enough for an emergency situation, but far enough for avoiding daily problems. (We all are happy with the arrangement. )

Contrast our situation with my retired brother and sister in-law. Their 40 year old son and wife with 3 children bought a home right across the street from them 4 years ago.

They are spending a lot more time traveling in the last 4 years.

Old 08-12-2005, 07:37 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

I promise I don't abuse the privelege! Last time I told my Dad we didn't need him to babysit after all, he was crushed.

DW and I have already discussed finding that sweet spot where family is close, but not too close. 300 miles sounds about right.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:24 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

My very best friend has been my friend since college and was my college roommate. Our spouses are good friends as well. They certainly know my plans to ER and obviously know my DH is ERd. They live a frugal lifestyle that fits well with ours. They would rather do stuff than buy stuff. One works part time during the school year and the other full time. Not in the position to retire--one daughter at Yale. But they have good jobs with lots of time off.

We live 150 miles apart. It would be nice to be a bit closer. But all in all we spend about the right amount of time with their family and any more we would all start to irritate each other.

Now that there are week days I am not at work, I am surprised at the number of people I see out and about. I go to Petco, full of people. I drive by the mall, full of people. Go out and work on my front garden, plenty of people walk by. Who are these people and why aren't they at work?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 11:33 AM   #50

Martha,
Could it be JG?
Old 08-13-2005, 11:40 AM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Who are these people and why aren't they at work?*
I think they're personal shoppers & production assistants, and they ARE hard at work.

Or they're unemployed.

Or they're stay-at-home parents.

Because they couldn't all be ERs, could they?

There's a whole big, wonderful world outside...

Old 08-13-2005, 12:01 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454
Martha,
Could it be JG?
Could be I ask myself that all the time "Who are these people
and why aren't they at work?" For example, I go to an auction
which is every Tuesday morning. Huge crowds attend. Who is minding the store? That's what I want to know.

JG
Old 08-13-2005, 12:05 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Re who works

I just checked the 2000 Census figures and about 64% of the population is in the workforce. http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/SAFFFacts?_sse=on
So I guess I keep running into the other third of the population I don't ordinarily notice.

Interesting that the average commute to work is 25 minutes. I read once someplace that since Roman times, the average communte to work has been about a half hour and people really dislike a longer commute and might not even like a shorter commute. This may be why I like to take a half hour to walk to work rather than 5 minutes to drive.

Old 08-13-2005, 12:07 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
Could be I ask myself that all the time "Who are these people
and why aren't they at work?" For example, I go to an auction
which is every Tuesday morning. Huge crowds attend. Who is minding the store? That's what I want to know.

JG
Yeah, somehow I feel like I've been screwed. There is a whole world out there getting along without working.

Old 08-13-2005, 12:22 PM   #55

You probably seeing people who besides being retired are,
unemployed
on vacation
working 2nd or 3rd shift
working part time
working from home
non-working spouse (not er'd)
man (woman) on the moon visiting
aliens among us
walking pods
and of course, JG
Old 08-13-2005, 02:37 PM   #56

I am quite open about my plans to RE in 4.5 years time. It helps my managers and others plan for succession. I have enjoyed my work for the most part over the years and get on well with everyone at work. To those who think I am nuts to stop working so "young" (55) I now quote from the figures that were released 2 or 3 years back from several of the large USA employers. (the likes of GE, GM and Lockeed). They have 10's of thousands retired folks on their books so they know when they retired and when they died. The charts they released showing age of death against age that they retired is quite convincing. Average LE of 83 if you retire at 55 and 67 if you retire at 65!!
Old 08-13-2005, 04:08 PM   #57

I have seen some of that info. thrown around. I thought somebody on one of these boards mentioned that one of the surveys wasnt entirely believable since it may have been used to "encourage" some attrition through retirements during a downsizing period. I dont know if some of the company data can be verified. I suppose people can believe it because everyone knows somebody that died right after retiring.
Old 08-13-2005, 05:05 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle
I have seen some of that info. thrown around. I thought somebody on one of these boards mentioned that one of the surveys wasnt entirely believable since it may have been used to "encourage" some attrition through retirements during a downsizing period. I dont know if some of the company data can be verified. I suppose people can believe it because everyone knows somebody that died right after retiring.
I'm sure that it may well have been publicized to encourage early retirement from those companies but I doubt that the companies will have publicized incorrect raw data. The data of course indicates nothing about why younger workers may live longer. It could well be that many of them took other less stressful jobs. Whether you are a manager at GM or working on an assembly line, the lure of picking up a payout and immediate pension, then working part time has got to be less stressful.
Re: Re who works
Old 08-13-2005, 05:59 PM   #59

Re: Re who works

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
I just checked the 2000 Census figures and about 64% of the population is in the workforce.* http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/SAFFFacts?_sse=on
So I guess I keep running into the other third of the population I don't ordinarily notice.

Interesting that the average commute to work is 25 minutes.* I read once someplace that since Roman times, the average communte to work has been about a half hour and people really dislike a longer commute and might not even like a shorter commute.* This may be why I like to take a half hour to walk to work rather than 5 minutes to drive.
When I retired, my commute in Texas was about 25 minutes.
Over the years, my commute ranged from under 5 minutes to one hour.
The one hour commute was mostly freeway outside of the city.
As I recall, I kind of enjoyed it.

JG
Old 08-14-2005, 10:38 AM   #60
Dryer sheet wannabe

I'll go on record as hating the commute.

The only "want" for our new house was location to work....
My commute takes about 7-10 minutes.
That is barely tolerable....
unfortunately, my fiance won't let me stay overnight in my lab...

one fellow employee told me last week that it took him 40 minutes to just get out of his neighborhood! YIKES!

scrood