Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-02-2015, 11:29 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I think you and wifey should chill and leave this young woman alone. Give her a place to live and eat, and get out of her hair.

And all the "advice" here-if she tried to follow it she might feel like the hungry and thirsty donkey between water and oats, who died being unable to decide which to do first.

I let my kids alone and the least well paid of them makes $150K/yr, the other 7 figures. One's offspring will do better without the helicopters obscuring their vision. I can see that most of my advice to my kids would have been objectively bad, and resented (rightfully). After all, what did I accomplish. ER? BFD!

Ha
Ha, I am glad the hands off approach worked for your adult kids, but there are a lot of college grads out there with huge student loans and part-time jobs at Starbucks. Student loan debt is reaching $1 trillion a year and dragging down our entire economy. If those grads all had six figure jobs those loans would likely be getting paid off.

Part of the problem is "students prefer to study things employers are not willing to pay for":

Where the Jobs Are, and the College Grads Aren't - US News

"But students with a ken for liberal arts—who often argue that expanding your mind is more important than learning technical knowledge—might want to reverse their thinking. Perhaps your investment in education should go toward learning things you can earn a living at, with intellectual stimulation coming later, when you can afford the indulgence. Otherwise, college can turn out to be a mighty expensive hobby."
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2015, 11:37 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

I encouraged my kids to HIT.

Healthcare or Information Technology.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:56 AM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post

I became a registered nurse because my mother told me that RN's will always have a choice of many positions. She was right. I went on to get a masters in nursing because I wanted the choice of even more jobs.

Tough work...but RN's can work in so many areas, including independently as practitioners. They are in demand outside of health care in law enforcement and legal firms as well.
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:12 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post

The problem with this is that both of those fields require a certain type of mind and thinking. STEM fields are great...for people whose minds work that way. But, not everyone's minds work that way.

I have a son who is currently a senior computer science major. His mind works that way and he is well-suited for those kinds of fields.

On the other hand, my daughter's mind does not work that way. She would crash and burn if she even considered those types of fields.

I do believe that it is a legitimate point to encourage kids to major in fields where they will learn skills that employers will pay for. I do think that obtaining gainful employment with a degree is a worthy goal.

But, not every kid is suited by how their mind works to go into the more science/technology related fields.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:16 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

- Confucius
user5027 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:20 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
Ha, I am glad the hands off approach worked for your adult kids, but there are a lot of college grads out there with huge student loans and part-time jobs at Starbucks. Student loan debt is reaching $1 trillion a year and dragging down our entire economy. If those grads all had six figure jobs those loans would likely be getting paid off.

I think the $1 trillion is the total balance outstanding and not an annual number...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:27 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
I became a registered nurse because my mother told me that RN's will always have a choice of many positions. She was right. I went on to get a masters in nursing because I wanted the choice of even more jobs.

Tough work...but RN's can work in so many areas, including independently as practitioners. They are in demand outside of health care in law enforcement and legal firms as well.

And now your mother would be wrong....

My sister is an RN... but got hers many years ago when you did not need a college degree.... but now with the rules out there it is hard to get hired without a degree.... and some want that masters like you have...

About 15 years ago my sister was told that she would have to get her degree... but was grandfathered in... they have continued to grandfather every couple of years... but only to people that were working... no new hires.... I think there are only a few left like my sister... last time she mentioned it she said they do not think they will grandfather anybody any more... so she will be out of a job....

Now, she is a surgery nurse and is requested by almost all the docs because she knows what to do and when to do it... most of the time they do not have to ask... so all that skill is going to go out the door because she cannot tick a box on a hospital review....

BTW, getting a degree will give her zero new skills... she sometimes teaches the new nurses on what to do that have that degree....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:40 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I think the $1 trillion is the total balance outstanding and not an annual number...
Sorry, you are right I should not have put "a year" and now it is too late for me to edit it. It is $1T outstanding.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:33 PM   #69
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by user5027 View Post
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

- Confucius
Wasn't Confucius a hermit who simply came up with sayings? Something tells me that he never had to 'choose' that job that also involved working with his brother. Or that nightmare boss who's old enough to be his father. Or the cranky co-worker in HR that schedule endless meetings. Or the customer that has impossible demands for every project. Or the co-worker in the cubicle next door that has a distinctly nauseating odor. Or the person down the cube farm that steals your lunch. Or taking salary cuts, and/or having to work longer hours at the same pay.

Much like choosing a spouse and having the in-laws and other baggage part-and-parcel with the deal.....choosing a job involves a hell of a lot more than just what you are tasked with doing.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:12 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
The problem with this is that both of those fields require a certain type of mind and thinking. STEM fields are great...for people whose minds work that way. But, not everyone's minds work that way.

I have a son who is currently a senior computer science major. His mind works that way and he is well-suited for those kinds of fields.

On the other hand, my daughter's mind does not work that way. She would crash and burn if she even considered those types of fields.
DW, (who used to be a software developer), and I are totally in sync on just about everything, except she's suited to that kind of endeavor and I never did find anything I was suited for.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:07 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar1 View Post
....The shock is DD has good grades, good looks, has 2 computer engineer parents who have done very well but still DD is struggling. Never expected her to move back home to our small downsized space and neither did DD. She is aggressively looking, has some interviews lined up but I am still concerned she is spraying bullets without specific purpose or target. Almost like not ready for real world. ...
It sounds like she is getting interviews but not going beyond that? Might it be that she doesn't interview well?

Also, if she has friends working in the field then she should be networking with the to see if their organizations are looking for help.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:09 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Wow, with that type of degree I sure hope she is multilingual.

I like the military idea.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:52 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
Another item that I did not see mentioned in this thread is how did the daughter spend her summers while she was earning her degree?

I would have thought an internship or co-op job related to her field of study would have gone a long way at this point - either with direct job offers from the sponsoring organization if they was a good fit, or experience that could be leveraged during the job hunt.
+1

This path may still be open to the OP's daughter. Perhaps she can look for fall semester internships, even though she is a graduate?
NoiseBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:36 AM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Reading this thread because I have one child who just graduated and (thankfully) has a job, and another graduating next year who should not have a problem getting one.

I'm struck by how many commenters are suggesting jobs/careers that might be popular/in demand yet might have nothing at all to do with the OP's daughters skills or interests.

Do people really take jobs/pursue careers that might provide a decent paycheck but might not be a good fit at all? If so, maybe that explains why so many people want to RE.
45th Birthday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:48 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45th Birthday View Post

I'm struck by how many commenters are suggesting jobs/careers that might be popular/in demand yet might have nothing at all to do with the OP's daughters skills or interests.

Do people really take jobs/pursue careers that might provide a decent paycheck but might not be a good fit at all? If so, maybe that explains why so many people want to RE.
If we lived in fantasy land where everyone could always do what their heart desired, then the comments would likely be different.

Fantasy filed for chapter 11 and isn't hiring.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:49 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45th Birthday View Post

Well, if the problem is finding a job, having in-demand skills is a reasonable answer, no? Whether those suggestions fit the OP's daughters skills or interests is an unknown - I don't think OP gave much input on that. So they are suggestions, to be considered. If they don't fit, they don't fit. They must decide that, we don't have enough info.

Quote:
Do people really take jobs/pursue careers that might provide a decent paycheck but might not be a good fit at all? If so, maybe that explains why so many people want to RE
And some people pursue careers that they 'love', and never have enough money to be comfortable, or maybe never manage to find steady employment at all in that field, and still end up doing jobs they hate, to keep the wolf from the door. A career path you love may not work out so well for everyone.

Life is a balance, and we must make choices.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:59 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post

I do believe that it is a legitimate point to encourage kids to major in fields where they will learn skills that employers will pay for. I do think that obtaining gainful employment with a degree is a worthy goal.

But, not every kid is suited by how their mind works to go into the more science/technology related fields.
I don't see a problem here. These industries are vast. As an example, someone in healthcare could be a surgeon, nurse, or tech. Jobs include management, accounting, compliance, etc. You can do similar comparison of the IT industry. You could be a highly certified security engineer, or pull cable.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:16 AM   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Is this the daughter who wanted to work at Disney for an hourly wage vs pursuing employment in her major? Did she pursue that?
Old 08-03-2015, 09:00 AM   #79

I agree that it's not unusual for grads with good credentials in fields that aren't in high demand to take some time to find a good job. As others have indicated, as long as she's motivated and spending her time productively looking for work, I wouldn't worry too much.

But the longer she goes without a job, the more she needs to expand her options and consider volunteering at international NGO's, trying for Peace Corps/Americorps etc. Consider if she needs to brush up computer or admin skills to get an entry level job at an organization she wants to work at and which may provide future opportunities.

I would avoid grad school as a place holder. Once she's worked a bit and has a specific idea of what she wants to do, and how the grad degree would fit into that plan, grad school may be an option. But many grad schools like to see practical experience in the relevant area, so work or volunteer experience can help with grad school as well.
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:20 AM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
If we lived in fantasy land where everyone could always do what their heart desired, then the comments would likely be different.

Fantasy filed for chapter 11 and isn't hiring.
I can't imagine a life spent doing something I didn't like and/or wasn't good at. How sad.
45th Birthday is offline   Reply With Quote