Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Should Martha retire now?
Yes, retire already 41 78.85%
No, get back to work 11 21.15%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Re: Should Martha go back to work?
Old 10-25-2005, 01:47 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Martha - I voted retire - with the qualification that you keep your option to go back to work available if the Greg guy doesn't work out.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2005, 02:26 PM   #22

Martha: I think you're the "cats meow", but had to pass on whether you should retire or not.
Too close to call, for mental health reasons.

If following were met, I'd consider voting for retiring:

Greg gets job, with lots of overtime,

or Greg stays in basement with his "friends",

or Greg finds something to keep him occupied and out of house for at least 8 hours a day.

If those conditions are met, hell give it a shot.

Old 10-25-2005, 02:46 PM   #23

Quote:
if the Greg guy doesn't work out.
If Greg doesn't work out I am sure some guys on the forum would like a chance
Old 10-25-2005, 03:28 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat
If Greg doesn't work out I am sure some guys on the forum would like a chance* *
Hey thats a thought. What you think about relocating to the south Martha?*
Old 10-25-2005, 03:50 PM   #25

I voted no. I figure if you were asking the question, you weren't ready. Despite how most of the folks on this board feel, a lot of people really don't feel comfortable in retirement. I don't understand a lot of them, but that really does seem to be how they feel. And despite how most folks on this board feel, that isn't a sign of inferior moral quality -- it's just a lifestyle choice.

Also, it doesn't have to be a choice between work the 60 hour per week of a careerist or retire. There is a continuum of work/retirement time. Choose the balance you want and find a way to do it.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:36 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl

I am still considering telling my partners I want to go part time next year, but I'm worried about how they'll take it.
I was the first one and only one to ever go part time at my office. My partners are very hard workers and as in most firms, value production (assuming of course quality work ). Sometime ago one of the partners suggesting looking into having a sabatical program. As president, I expanded that concept into looking at alternative work arrangements. I thought that alternative arrangements might be a way of attracting talent. So the idea of part time arrangements was discussed and not pooh poohed outright.

Several years went by. I had earned a fair amount of political capital by virtue of being president. In the few months before the end of my term I told my board that I wished to look at going part time. I said that I would form a committee (boards always seem to like that ) to help me craft a proposal that was fair to the firm and would make sure clients get served. Over several months I worked with the committee, ending up making a proposal to the board which was accepted and which was then accepted by the shareholders. Not unanimously.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 04:50 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ((^+^)) SG
I voted no. I figure if you were asking the question, you weren't ready. Despite how most of the folks on this board feel, a lot of people really don't feel comfortable in retirement. I don't understand a lot of them, but that really does seem to be how they feel. And despite how most folks on this board feel, that isn't a sign of inferior moral quality -- it's just a lifestyle choice.

Also, it doesn't have to be a choice between work the 60 hour per week of a careerist or retire. There is a continuum of work/retirement time. Choose the balance you want and find a way to do it.
Ouch! I have long believed I will never feel ready--too much the worrier. But I hope to retire inspite of my discomfort.

Old 10-25-2005, 04:55 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
I was the first one and only one to ever go part time at my office.* My partners are very hard workers and as in most firms, value production (assuming of course quality work ).* Sometime ago one of the partners suggesting looking into having a sabatical program.* As president, I expanded that concept into looking at alternative work arrangements.* I thought that alternative arrangements might be a way of attracting talent.* So the idea of part time arrangements was discussed and not pooh poohed outright.*

Several years went by.* I had earned a fair amount of political capital by virtue of being president.* In the few months before the end of my term I told my board that I wished to look at going part time.* I said that I would form a committee (boards always seem to like that ) to help me craft a proposal that was fair to the firm and would make sure clients* get served.* Over several months I worked with the committee, ending up making a proposal to the board which was accepted and which was then accepted by the shareholders.* Not unanimously.
Jesus! *Committees, proposals, months of negotiating...What a process to be able to work a few less hours!! * I know I could never go through a process like that just to reduce my work hours. *I would rather just quit given the two options.

The nice thing about being self-employed is that one day I decided to work less hours and I did. *
Old 10-25-2005, 05:01 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40
Jesus! Committees, proposals, months of negotiating...What a process to be able to work a few less hours!! I know I could never go through a process like that just to reduce my work hours. I would rather just quit given the two options.

The nice thing about being self-employed is that one day I decided to work less hours and I did.
But. . . I have people to cover for me when I am gone. Like now. And I don't have to deal with the business aspects of running the firm anymore.

The process was long but not difficult. I knew from the get go what I wanted and got it.

Old 10-25-2005, 08:22 PM   #30

Quote:

The process was long but not difficult.* I knew from the get go what I wanted and got it.*
Thanks for the rundown on details Martha. This firm is similar, in that value is based on production, and the architects are too busy doing architecture to run a business - so it suffers. What I'm thinking of suggesting is that I basically stop doing architecture, stop having my own clients, and focus on two things the firm needs - business management and quality control of the projects going out the door.

But I'm not sure that's what I really want or just what I think the firm needs.

Old 10-25-2005, 08:58 PM   #31

Quote:
Ouch!* ** I have long believed I will never feel ready--too much the worrier.* But I hope to retire inspite of my discomfort.* *
I didn't mean to insult you. There shouldn't be anything insulting about a decision you make about what to do. I'm probably wrong. You probably are ready to retire and you should do it.

Old 10-26-2005, 08:53 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ((^+^)) SG
I didn't mean to insult you. There shouldn't be anything insulting about a decision you make about what to do. I'm probably wrong. You probably are ready to retire and you should do it.

No insult perceived.

Old 10-26-2005, 09:22 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Ok Martha, whats it gonna be? Are you going back to work?*
Old 10-26-2005, 09:33 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Uh, I am sitting at my desk at work right now, going through the mail. My goal is now June 2006, after some of our more risky real estate inivestments pay off. If they flop and we actually lose money, we shall see. Will not be working much though; my desk is pretty empty given interest rate increases and the fact that I haven't shopped for work in months.

So I guess the nos have it for now.

Old 10-26-2005, 10:05 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

In the early 80s there was a couple in Portland- one a lumber broker, the other an archtect.* When interest rates started going up they planned a sabatical, sold their home, and traveled for a couple years.* Came back as business picked back up.* Did well on the house sale as the market had dropped and the net from the home sale earned a lot of interest.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:40 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

Martha, I dithered for well over a year about whether to retire or not. But I set the process in motion by committing this past summer to the building of a house in a city a long ways away. Possession date is late April 2006. Thus I know my retirement date!