Should Martha retire now?

• Yes, retire already

Votes: 39 79.6%
  • No, get back to work

Votes: 10 20.4%

• Total voters

Martha

Moderator Emeritus
Been away from work for a few weeks. My part time work load is way down due to interest rate increases. Most of my work is financing work for institutional lenders. I used to concentrate mostly on the back end of financing work, primarily representing lenders in business bankruptcies and workouts. I have been getting away from that type of work and concentrating on the front end of the lending business. I really don't like doing back end work anymore. :confused:

You need to get back to work and keep my SS fully funded. No getting out until I am secure. :D

Seriously, get out if you can. Run away and don't look back. Get on with your bird watching and deer tick feeding! Do it while you both are still young and able to stay active.

Being a lawyer, you can always do some part time stuff for "play" money. Hang out your shingle and do only what you want to do.

Martha said:
Been away from work for a few weeks.  My part time work load is way down due to interest rate increases.  Most of my work is financing work for institutional lenders.  I used to concentrate mostly on the back end of financing work, primarily representing lenders in business bankruptcies and workouts.  I have been getting away from that type of work and concentrating on the front end of the lending business.  I really don't like doing back end work anymore.  :confused:
Heck no. I get the impression you 2 are in good shape anyway so why go back? :eek:
But you can continue to give us all free legal advice.  :)

You need something to run toward rather than run away from (work). I suggest you take on Greg as your first retirement project It is obvious that he needs lots of supervision and has had it way too easy with you still working.

Quit now, take on this project and the world will be a better place for almost everyone. :)

Martha, I voted don't go back to work. I have been on the receiving end of exactly the kind of paperwork you have been preparing. It was mindnumbingly dull to read. I suspect it wasn't a lot more interesting to prepare. You don't sound too enthused about the prospect of going back, and if you do I suspect that your work will be less than your best and you will get fed up in short order. If you are worried about money, set up a small business/PT private practice. For example, don't you think there mmight be lots of small business owners who would appreciate your experience when they negotiate with their lenders?

There is a whole wide world out there waiting to be explored and savored. Go do it while you are still physically able.

brewer12345 said:
... set up a small business/PT private practice....

Just be careful you don't turn it into a full-time business. That's VERY easy to do when you are self-employed. You keep taking on new clients and you keep working an extra 1/2 hour a day. Before you know it, you are working 12 hours a day 7 days a week.

Of course, if you build it up that much, you could always sell your business and then call it quits for good.

I'm surprised there are some "go back to work" votes, since this is the Early Retirement Forum and not the Go Back To Work Forum.

I'll bet in your heart you know it's time to quit.

Martha said:
I really don't like doing back end work anymore. :confused:

Martha: So, if you don't like back end work, what are doing with me? :D

REW: Shhhhh! We've I've got this dang thing all planned out. I've told Martha that after the initial flurry of retirement fun, RV trips, maybe Australia and Tasmania for six months or a round the world boat trip (if my stock shorts hit), we'd be settling in Iowa on a small hobby farm--with goats and chickens and vegetables and corn stoves (and maybe even HaHa visits--hey, maybe I can make corn mash martinis from scratch if I have enough practice time and a person to judge them handy). Finding goals is not our problem (nor fighting about them in between); untethering Martha is.

--Retirement . . . um . . . Soon

Apocalypse . . .um . . .SOON said:
Finding goals is not our problem (nor fighting about them in between); untethering Martha is. 

Sounds like something my dh would say to me.

Martha, I think that mentally you've been retired at least since your ankle was in a cast. All you have to do now is file the paperwork...

brewer12345 said:
I have been on the receiving end of exactly the kind of paperwork you have been preparing. It was mindnumbingly dull to read. I suspect it wasn't a lot more interesting to prepare.

My favorite is writing new definitions of debt to net worth ratios. :) Almost as fun as trying to enforce them.

No way would I hang out a shingle and work for myself. Don't want to work enough to buy the malpractice insurance. As it is, I have a mighty fine deal as an owner of my firm and working part time. The firm takes care of the administrative stuff.

Go Matha Go! You have such a full life outside of work, you'll never have to pause when some one asks what do you do all day. Give an end date to your partners, and as it creeps closer you'll know whether it's right if it brings growing dread or joy. you can always push it out.

P.S. there is no retirement plan for the board, your pro bono work here is a life commitment! :D

Laurence said:
Give an end date to your partners, and as it creeps closer you'll know whether it's right if it brings growing dread or joy. you can always push it out.

I really like this idea. It is not like they could fire me if I pushed it out.

Martha said:
No way would I hang out a shingle and work for myself.  Don't want to work enough to buy the malpractice insurance.  As it is, I have a mighty fine deal as an owner of my firm and working part time.  The firm takes care of the administrative stuff. 

Sounds like you are pretty comfy at your firm which isn't always a good thing.

Let me put it another way: If the other partners had a meeting and informed you that your involvement with the firmwas no longer required, would you even consider looking for a new job?

brewer12345 said:
Sounds like you are pretty comfy at your firm which isn't always a good thing.

Let me put it another way: If the other partners had a meeting and informed you that your involvement with the firmwas no longer required, would you even consider looking for a new job?

No way, no how.

That being the case.........what is there left to decide?

RETIRE! 8)

Martha, if you can retire, why not?

A new life awaits you, filled with more of the stuff you love to do.

I think casting off the old suit and tie would be the best thing for Martha, or I guess in Martha's case the old blouse and skirt. I vote "YES," do it in about half and hour--before my nap time. :-*

--DW

I voted retire, because I want you to write the "how to tell your partners" speech and send me a copy.    I want to learn from your process  :)

I really liked the comment that you'll know if it's right if you anticipate with joy vs. dread.

I am still considering telling my partners I want to go part time next year, but I'm worried about how they'll take it. 

Martha - I voted retire - with the qualification that you keep your option to go back to work available if the Greg guy doesn't work out.

Martha: I think you're the "cats meow", but had to pass on whether you should retire or not.
Too close to call, for mental health reasons.

If following were met, I'd consider voting for retiring:

Greg gets job, with lots of overtime,

or Greg stays in basement with his "friends",

or Greg finds something to keep him occupied and out of house for at least 8 hours a day.

If those conditions are met, hell give it a shot. ;)

I voted no. I figure if you were asking the question, you weren't ready. Despite how most of the folks on this board feel, a lot of people really don't feel comfortable in retirement. I don't understand a lot of them, but that really does seem to be how they feel. And despite how most folks on this board feel, that isn't a sign of inferior moral quality -- it's just a lifestyle choice.

Also, it doesn't have to be a choice between work the 60 hour per week of a careerist or retire. There is a continuum of work/retirement time. Choose the balance you want and find a way to do it. :)

Back
Top Bottom