Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
"Shout out" to all my fellow players out there
Old 03-22-2006, 09:44 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus
laurence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5,234
"Shout out" to all my fellow players out there

So, I know this is an Early Retirement board, and we all have our eyes on the prize, but for those of us young dreamers who have years, if not decades to go. we should remember to enjoy the here and now. You should never wish away today, you never know how many tomorrows you have. This is my way of starting a thread that is mostly bragging.

So I was sent out to handle a crisis at our New York facility, locked it down, impressed the heck out of the customer and management, and made it look effortless. Tonight over some Glenlivet on the rocks, and a Filet Mignon with a nice Pinot Nior I engaged in the first round of polite negotiations with the senior something or other about a new position being created for me. I was engaging but noncomittal, interested in where this might lead in the months to come, but mostly savoring another job well done.

So I want to hear from my fellow young dreamers, about how you are making the best of today, and not just slaving to shave a year off the time until you can retire. There's too much living to do to just always look to the distant future!
__________________

__________________
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: "Shout out" to all my fellow players out there
Old 03-22-2006, 10:02 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
wildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lou-evil
Posts: 2,025
Re: "Shout out" to all my fellow players out there

Sure, here is my "live for today" contribution. As some of you may or may not know I got outta grad school in Dec. I had my "dream job" interview last December but didn't get the position. I have since returned home and began looking for some positions around my area. I am still being considered for a Fed position but the next step in the process is taking forever. The govt. isn't the fastest moving animal.

I asked to the Fed agency to base me out west, my dream location - I am an outdoors freak. My big "live for today" move will be to go out west - Colorado - even if I don't get the Fed job. I doubt I will get much support from the risk averse people in my family but I don't care - I only have me to support. I just have that "gut" feeling that it is time to go. Come May, I will living in a place that makes me happy and fulfilling a promise to myself. I doubt I will ever look back.
__________________

__________________
"These walls are kind of funny. First you hate 'em, then you get used to 'em. Enough time passes, gets so you depend on them"
wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: "Shout out" to all my fellow players out there
Old 03-22-2006, 10:04 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,318
Re: "Shout out" to all my fellow players out there

Well said, Laurence.

You can't hold your breath all the way until ER -- it takes a long time and you've got to enjoy the ride even as you know you won't ride that one forever.

I've alway felt that there are two ways to get to ER -- you can save your way there (most of the posts here on the board deal with this route) or you can earn your way to ER -- by nailing the promotion and the raise, landing the big investor in your new venture, selling the big deal to the big client, whatever. Sounds like you're on your way to the latter, which can be a lot more fun and maybe even quicker.

Good job and next time take your Glenlivet 'neat' the way the Scots do it!
__________________
ER for 10 years; living off 4.3% of savings (and a few book royalties ;-)
ESRBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: "Shout out" to all my fellow players out there
Old 03-22-2006, 11:36 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
laurence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5,234
Re: "Shout out" to all my fellow players out there

Maybe I can't handle it "neat" cuz I'm Irish!

WC, definitely make the move, Colorado is the state I would live in if I was banned from Cali, it is awesome. I am sure you won't regret it!
__________________
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: "Shout out" to all my fellow players out there
Old 03-23-2006, 06:50 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 569
Re: "Shout out" to all my fellow players out there

laurence, first of all I would not have a Pinot with a Filet, that is definitly where you either have a Shiraz or a Chateau Neuf, or a nice Bordeaux. .

Secondly, Scotch WITH WATER, Robbie Burns would spin in his grave.

I know Colorado very well, head office was in Boulder, a Californian attitude with a Colorado lifestyle does not mix.

Colorado is getting busy, highways are being slashed throughout the state, many areas getting too populated.

Real Estate is also very pricy, what sold for $120,000 a few years ago now fetches $400,000.
__________________
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: "Shout out" to all my fellow players out there
Old 03-23-2006, 08:14 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Dawg52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central MS/Orange Beach, AL
Posts: 7,432
Re: "Shout out" to all my fellow players out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat
Sure, here is my "live for today" contribution.* As some of you may or may not know I got outta grad school in Dec.* I had my "dream job" interview last December but didn't get the position.* I have since returned home and began looking for some positions around my area.* I am still being considered for a Fed position but the next step in the process is taking forever.* The govt. isn't the fastest moving animal.

I asked to the Fed agency to base me out west, my dream location - I am an outdoors freak.* My big "live for today" move will be to go out west - Colorado - even if I don't get the Fed job.* I doubt I will get much support from the risk averse people in my family but I don't care - I only have me to support.* I just have that "gut" feeling that it is time to go.* Come May, I will living in a place that makes me happy and fulfilling a promise to myself.* I doubt I will ever look back.*
Hey good luck on your Fed job! Hope you get the location you want. I love CO too but as Max said, real estate is very expensive. I have a nephew that lives out there and he had to reqruit several roommates just to survive. But it is a beautiful state!* 8)
__________________
Retired 3/31/2007@52
Full time wuss.......
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: "Shout out" to all my fellow players out there
Old 03-23-2006, 08:56 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 74
Re: "Shout out" to all my fellow players out there

Quote:
So I want to hear from my fellow young dreamers, about how you are making the best of today, and not just slaving to shave a year off the time until you can retire.* There's too much living to do to just always look to the distant future!
This is very true and something I struggle with.* I find myself constantly wishing I could fast-forward to ER, but I'm basically at the point where there isn't much I can realistically do to speed things up.* It's like starting to count down to the end of the school year on day 1.

One indulgence of mine is travel.* Last summer I drove 5500 miles through 9 states and 10 national parks over 2 weeks, camping in a tent.* 2 summers ago I drove down all the way to Key West ( from MN ).* I've also sprinkled in flights to Denver and Yuma to visit friends and family over the years.* I grew up taking many camping trips (you could say I got spoiled) and it's in my blood.* I could genuinely sing the song "I've been everywhere".* This year, I'm going to try to stay cheap, because I am planning a trip to Australia before I turn 30.* I'm targetting either spring or fall 2007.
__________________
dunc0029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: "Shout out" to all my fellow players out there
Old 03-23-2006, 09:23 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 784
Re: "Shout out" to all my fellow players out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
So, I know this is an Early Retirement board, and we all have our eyes on the prize, but for those of us young dreamers who have years, if not decades to go. we should remember to enjoy the here and now. You should never wish away today, you never know how many tomorrows you have. This is my way of starting a thread that is mostly bragging.

So I was sent out to handle a crisis at our New York facility, locked it down, impressed the heck out of the customer and management, and made it look effortless. Tonight over some Glenlivet on the rocks, and a Filet Mignon with a nice Pinot Nior I engaged in the first round of polite negotiations with the senior something or other about a new position being created for me. I was engaging but noncomittal, interested in where this might lead in the months to come, but mostly savoring another job well done.

So I want to hear from my fellow young dreamers, about how you are making the best of today, and not just slaving to shave a year off the time until you can retire. There's too much living to do to just always look to the distant future!

I dropped out of college......
__________________
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: "Shout out" to all my fellow players out there
Old 03-23-2006, 09:32 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 54
Re: "Shout out" to all my fellow players out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
So I want to hear from my fellow young dreamers, about how you are making the best of today, and not just slaving to shave a year off the time until you can retire. There's too much living to do to just always look to the distant future!
Great topic Laurence. Having a good job that you can enjoy the rewards today is important for your mental health.

I took my job in northern BC just to have something I love doing. I'm halfway between two departments: Sales and Technical. So I get all the sales benifits of expense account, truck, flexable hours and I still get to do some engineering (which was my degree).

I love my job, but I do want to get to some other long terms plans in 17 years or so.

CF

__________________
Warming up to FIRE while trying to avoid the cold!
Canadian FIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: "Shout out" to all my fellow players out there
Old 03-23-2006, 09:45 AM   #10
 
Posts: n/a
Re: "Shout out" to all my fellow players out there

Since this is a bragging thread, I'll say that I have had seven piano and trombone gigs this month! *Some of them even paid. *

But I bring it up because this morning I found myself thinking about how these gigs could lead to other gigs, or about how if so-and-so heard us we might get hired, etc. *instead of just enjoying the great gigs we've got. *IOW, you always have to guard against wishing away today.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Re: "Shout out" to all my fellow players out there
Old 03-23-2006, 02:45 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
SteveR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,803
Re: "Shout out" to all my fellow players out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
Since this is a bragging thread, I'll say that I have had seven piano and trombone gigs this month! *Some of them even paid. *

But I bring it up because this morning I found myself thinking about how these gigs could lead to other gigs, or about how if so-and-so heard us we might get hired, etc. *instead of just enjoying the great gigs we've got. *IOW, you always have to guard against wishing away today.
Starting to sound like w@ork to me.
__________________
Work? I don't have time to work....I'm retired.
SteveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: "Shout out" to all my fellow players out there
Old 03-23-2006, 03:11 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
wildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lou-evil
Posts: 2,025
Re: "Shout out" to all my fellow players out there

BTW Laurence, nice going on the job front.

RE - Colorado is expensive. True, but I haven't found too many desirable places out west that are cheap.
__________________
"These walls are kind of funny. First you hate 'em, then you get used to 'em. Enough time passes, gets so you depend on them"
wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: "Shout out" to all my fellow players out there
Old 03-23-2006, 06:25 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Coach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,127
Re: "Shout out" to all my fellow players out there

Hummm, I live in Colorado Springs, and I don't think Colorado is that expensive in general. Boulder, and places like Aspen, are a different story. On the other hand there are some places like Pueblo and Grand Junction that I think are real bargains.

Coach
__________________
"Comprehensive health insurance is an idea whose time has come in America." President Richard M. Nixon, February 6, 1974
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: "Shout out" to all my fellow players out there
Old 03-23-2006, 06:29 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
Re: "Shout out" to all my fellow players out there

I lived in colorado springs for about 6 months through the winter when Digital first opened the technical support center there.

Unless its a lot nicer and global warming has done some work, I wouldnt wish it on anyone.
__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: "Shout out" to all my fellow players out there
Old 03-23-2006, 07:04 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 7,408
Re: "Shout out" to all my fellow players out there

Littleton - four years - ok but I thought Colorado was both too cold and butt ugly compared to the Mt. St. Helens area where I grew up.

Others - of course - held different opinions and it was my first time living back East.

heh heh heh
__________________
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: "Shout out" to all my fellow players out there
Old 03-23-2006, 09:23 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 163
Re: "Shout out" to all my fellow players out there

I love to brag. Who doesn't?
As I've mentioned before (but never get tired of mentioning), I only work 4 days a week. Not 4 10s, just 4 days. Took a paycut to get it, but it's totally worth it. (Similarly, my wife works full time but gets the summer off. Ends up working about the same number of days as I do.)
And in a couple of years, we're going to take a year off from work altogether to tour the country
Life is good. :-)

Tim
__________________
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: "Shout out" to all my fellow players out there
Old 03-23-2006, 10:05 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
laurence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5,234
Re: "Shout out" to all my fellow players out there

I'm switching to 9/80s next week, not nearly as good, but I'm looking forward to it! Right now I wish I had an earlier flight home. Sitting bored in the hotel room. I guess I'll turn in. :P
__________________
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: "Shout out" to all my fellow players out there
Old 03-23-2006, 10:17 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 116
Re: "Shout out" to all my fellow players out there

how did this turn into a bummer thread?

Does anyone here ponder how lucky we are to be sitting at our computers, many have great kids, spouses,good friends, a warm house, a fridge full of food and bank accounts rising. We are intelligent, and able to direct ourselves towards living a full life in all aspects.

GET OVER IT. Go to work, do your best and plan for the future the best you can. In the meantime, play music, paint pictures, take walks, smell the roses, follow your favorite basketball team etc.

I can imagine most people who post here are in the top five to ten percent of income/net worth people on the PLANET. Be thankful.
__________________
shorttimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: "Shout out" to all my fellow players out there
Old 03-23-2006, 10:39 PM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
wildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lou-evil
Posts: 2,025
Re: "Shout out" to all my fellow players out there

Quote:
I can imagine most people who post here are in the top five to ten percent of income/net worth people on the PLANET. Be thankful.
Haha no way am I in that boat.

Coach - I could be wrong but it seems the expensive part about Colorado is mainly the real estate, no? Everything else seemed reasonable.

Quote:
Unless its a lot nicer and global warming has done some work, I wouldnt wish it on anyone.
If you stay inside all winter I am sure it did suck, just like the drizzle in the Pac NW can drive people crazy if they stay inside the entire time. When I was in CO it seemed to feel really cold at night but the day was fine with the sun being out quite a bit.
__________________
"These walls are kind of funny. First you hate 'em, then you get used to 'em. Enough time passes, gets so you depend on them"
wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: "Shout out" to all my fellow players out there
Old 03-24-2006, 07:33 AM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
maddythebeagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,450
Re: "Shout out" to all my fellow players out there

Quote:
how did this turn into a bummer thread?
huh, I think this is more positive than the typical "My job sucks" thread that periodically pops up.
__________________

__________________
- Hurry! to the cliffs of insanity!
maddythebeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
greetings, fellow money-savers... Celany Hi, I am... 4 04-30-2007 06:06 PM
New fellow greg Hi, I am... 71 06-26-2005 08:16 AM
Any fantasy football players? cute fuzzy bunny Other topics 2 07-19-2004 10:21 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:00 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.