Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Single ERers
Old 12-23-2006, 04:23 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie
Our old neighbor down the block (who has been loooong gone now) found out he only had a short time to live, and went to the company credit union and took out a loan for ALL new appliances (washer, dryer, stove, refrigerator, water heater, furnace, etc), and then went and bought a nice new automobile....with a loan from the same credit union. All the loans through that credit union included automatic payoff in the event of your untimely demise. His widow enjoyed many years of living in their paid-off house, with all the new appliances....as well as tooling around town in the new car....and he had left her a sizable amount of money in investments and life ins policies....and left her not owing ANY debt!!!
I wonder how the uhh......big man looked on this at the pearly gates?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2006, 04:31 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I ER'd about 6 months ago at 35. Currently single but have a wonderful girlfriend I intend to marry and have children with. However where I chose to retire (overseas) the government gives you a monthly allowance per child to cover basic expenses and schools are free up to university level where they are either free or very inexpensive (ie. 3K) depending. Healthcare of course is free as well. My wife will get 15 months maternity leave at 100% her current salary, etc. It's a very family friendly country.

Since I have no debt of any kind assuming my future wife wants to keep working then that is just bonus money. Of course if we have more than one kid (we intend to) I'll have to get a bigger apartment but I live downtown which is pricey so I can move a little farther out of town and get a much bigger place for the same amount of money, hence keeping me mortgage free.

You CAN have it all! Best of luck to you!

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 04:51 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek
However where I chose to retire (overseas) the government gives you a monthly allowance per child to cover basic expenses and schools are free up to university level where they are either free or very inexpensive (ie. 3K) depending. Healthcare of course is free as well. My wife will get 15 months maternity leave at 100% her current salary, etc. It's a very family friendly country.
What's the country? sounds like it might be European. I agree that its nice to have good
social benefits, but they don't come free, they will be covered by some form of taxation.
I know that if I was going to have kids I'd move back to the UK where families get a lot more assistance from the government and you don't have to spend a fortune to get a good education.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 06:37 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun
What's the country? sounds like it might be European. I agree that its nice to have good
social benefits, but they don't come free, they will be covered by some form of taxation.
I know that if I was going to have kids I'd move back to the UK where families get a lot more assistance from the government and you don't have to spend a fortune to get a good education.
Estonia. Yes, it is of course paid via taxes. The tax rate is a flat 23%.

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 08:18 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG52
Well, he WAS looking out for widows & the fatherless!
Old 12-23-2006, 09:07 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

My work involves kids but I'm glad to leave at the end of the day. I respect parents who do a good job. There are others who have no business being parents. I'm cheerfully single with no regrets. Couldn't stand that much commitment, I guess!
Old 12-24-2006, 06:47 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG52
Hey, he did nothing wrong.... they offered a very very high cost insurance component with the loan and he took it... so, they paid one claim in 1,000 or more... they made a lot of money and so did he....

It if was a concern, they should have the question on the form "are you terminal?"...
Old 12-24-2006, 10:55 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud
Hey, he did nothing wrong.... they offered a very very high cost insurance component with the loan and he took it... so, they paid one claim in 1,000 or more... they made a lot of money and so did he....

It if was a concern, they should have the question on the form "are you terminal?"...
Is God a strict constructionist?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 10:26 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun
The kernal of my conversation with friends about this is that until you have children you carn't really
comment. Friends with children are obviously totally in love with them, to the point
of idiocy, but I suppose that's what its all about.
Yes, I've heard that asinine argument before when I offer my opinion on other people's rugrats (I'm 100% childree). The part about "well, if you don't have any of your own then you don't really know enough to say anything".

I then ask them if they have ever walked out into a pasture, picked up a cow pattie, and eaten it. When they say of course not, I ask them, well if you've never done it then how do you know you won't like it? Of course, if they *have* done it, I'm screwed.

Larry
Old 12-25-2006, 08:48 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsquopper
I then ask them if they have ever walked out into a pasture, picked up a cow pattie, and eaten it.
Then by your argument, I assume you have? If not, you are giving an opinion (not that opinions are bad, but they are better based upon your "personal experience".)

- Ron
Old 12-25-2006, 09:10 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron'Da
Then by your argument, I assume you have?
Worse. I have to eat my spouse's cooking!

Larry
Old 12-25-2006, 11:09 AM   #32

i'm single, gay and sans children. it is illegal for us subhumans to be married or to adopt children in my home state of florida. i'm not sure but you might even be allowed to shoot us in season.

instead of children i have convertibles. florida doesn't seem to mind that. my convertible is very well behaved. i've never had a problem with my convertible acting up in public, not even with road rage. sibling rivalry is not an issue because i always wait until one is out of the house before i bring home a new one. also i will never have to send my convertible to college. i can tell it's already very smart because sometimes i space out yet it always seems to find our way home.

my brother has 3 kids and he is intent on paying their way through college. my brother will be working until he is dead. better to be subhuman than dead, i always say.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 11:22 AM   #33

there is no such thing as subhuman - all human beings are equal.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:23 AM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
there is no such thing as subhuman -
Not true. Nords was able to ER after spending 20 years as a subhuman.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 11:33 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
there is no such thing as subhuman - all human beings are equal.

Yeah wasnt it god created man and sam colt made them all equal?
Old 12-25-2006, 01:10 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Not true. Nords was able to ER after spending 20 years as a subhuman.
ER hasn't changed that, either...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 09:46 PM   #37

Single, no debt, no kids. However, staying until George Bush leaves the White House, (just timing). Could leave at any time. Could have left a while back. Do I love my job? No. Just being extra cautious. I will be 56. Hopefully will have a few years ahead of me to relax and spend. 8)
Old 12-26-2006, 08:03 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
i'm single, gay and sans children. it is illegal for us subhumans to be married or to adopt children in my home state of florida. i'm not sure but you might even be allowed to shoot us in season.
Lazy, you're very welcome here in Canada if you can stand the cold! We do weddings......
Old 12-27-2006, 11:42 AM   #39

I'm single/divorced. I have a SO, and I would like to get married again someday, to him or maybe someone else!

My FIRE plan right now just uses my numbers. Current SO likes the idea of retiring early so if we ever pool our resources, we'll be on the same page.

At 37, I don't know if I'll ever have kids. Adoption is something I've often thought about. If so, I'll just adjust my numbers!

Karen
Old 12-27-2006, 12:38 PM   #40

I'm single, childfree by choice, still working by choice (pretty much FI) and in a relationship with someone of similar status. He has a grown son who's married and on his own.

Since we look at our FIRE status as a couple, I probably don't fit the OP's question, but I think that being single, and thinking about finances as a single my whole life is what enabled us to combine forces and suddenly realize we are basically FI.