Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Single ERers
Old 12-27-2006, 02:57 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh
Lazy, you're very welcome here in Canada if you can stand the cold! We do weddings......
thank you meadbh. i have seriously considered that. i thought i could just as easily travel during your winters instead of traveling away from florida during our summers. but during my research i found it is not so easy to become a citizen there. perhaps i could request political asylum.

my only other choices here are massachusetts, vermont and now new jersey, but all too expensive for my early retired budget. i will just have to remain in hiding in fort lahteedah. though we are illegal statewide, seems we've managed to forge a more or less homophobia free trade zone, if not in the entire city, at least within most of the better restaurants here.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2007, 10:36 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Sinlge, no kids, not ER.

Have mortgage on second home and small remainder of HEL. Good SEP-IRA that is marching along. Am currently acting like a good squirrel and finally have a plan for putting away a specific pile of nuts as a non-taxable retirment income. Would like to sell second home which is in a resort area for a simple second accomodation in a warm climate. Right now, I'm dreaming of Hawaii, but might come to my senses after reviewing the real estate and living situation there.

My biggest concerns are setting myself up a safety net for health/infirmity. Will set up a MSA this year, and plan on aquiring long-term care insurance at about age 60.

I suffer from lack of a partner to help guide me on a day-to-day basis, and end up relying on my recently widowed mother to get a better picture about what later retirement years hold. I'd hoped for a retirement before 55, but it looks more like 60 is safer and more suited to my likes. I'm a medical professional, and my occupation is a big part of my life and my identity. My dear father passed away this year, and it seems that I suddenly grew up a great deal, enough to really give my future a hard look.

Old 01-28-2007, 11:11 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum

instead of children i have convertibles.

Old 01-28-2007, 11:21 PM   #44

DINKs so I think that it is the best of both worlds.

Forty years ago or so, I would have had to go to Canada to be married I would have had to get married in Canada since we are from different races. My wife is Elfish and I'm not.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:28 AM   #45

Divorced, no kids (had the good sense to get clipped before marraige), ERed at 48
after a programming career. Over half my friends went the no-kid route (although
many are married). A few of my no-kid friends are closing in at ER at 55 or so. One
one of my friends with children has semi-retired, and could ER if he wanted.
Not having kids was a very easy choice for me. I never really liked them much,
even when I was one. I do not really dislike them either - I just feel no connection
to them. Dogs, on the other hand, I am a real sucker for.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:22 AM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The money I spent raising my children was the best investment I ever made .The Joy I get from them is more than I've ever gotten from money. I don't regret one second of it .
Old 01-31-2007, 08:56 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

I am single, 53 years old, never made more than $55,000/year base salary, have never been married, have never cohabited, never had any children . . . wait a minute, maybe this post should come under the "Are you INTROVERTED?" thread

I would say I became financially independent in my late 40's and "early" retired at age 50. I have never regretted my decision to not marry or have children.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:07 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toejam
I am single, 53 years old, never made more than $55,000/year base salary, have never been married, have never cohabited, never had any children . . . wait a minute, maybe this post should come under the "Are you INTROVERTED?" thread

I would say I became financially independent in my late 40's and "early" retired at age 50. I have never regretted my decision to not marry or have children.
I regret marrying.
I have never regretted not having children.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:37 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

It's truly a blessing when folks who are glad they didn't have children didn't have children.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:21 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
It's truly a blessing when folks who are glad they didn't have children didn't have children.
Hello YouBet:

I think you kinda misinterpreted my statement that "I have never regretted my decision to not marry or have children". This is a neutral statement. It doesn't mean I am "glad" I didn't have children. It simply means that I feel no disappointment or sorrow that I had no children (as opposed to someone who feels remorse or distress that they "missed the boat"). In my case, it just so happened that I was not able to find someone in my younger years that I wanted to make a committment to, so there was no marriage. And I certainly would not want to have children without being in a stable relationship (preferably marriage). I still would not rule out getting married if I found the right person, but it is biologically too late for me to have children. In fact, I am quite responsible, caring, and nurturing and probably would've made a pretty decent parent.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:05 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toejam
Hello YouBet:

I think you kinda misinterpreted my statement
My comment was not in reference to you, Toejam.

We've met folks who in later life deeply regretted the time, money and effort they spent raising children. Whether the child was an "accident" or simply a bad decision made by people who didn't really know themselves, the ensuing situation is unfortunate and sad. So, when I hear someone say they are glad they didn't have kids, I think to myself it's a blessing they didn't. Likewise, it's sad to see a couple who want a child very much unable to have one.

Childfree folks who wanted to be, and parents who wanted to be, should be thankful life worked out for them in that regard!

Old 01-31-2007, 11:21 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi youbet:

I understand your position now. Thanks for the explanation!

Toejam
Old 02-01-2007, 03:44 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

i am planning on having one or two children. i am a woman and married. i caution all singles out there to get a very good pre-nup and marry someone fiscally responsible. there are many gold diggers out there and also even if that doesn't apply, many idiots who go into debt. marriage has very serious financial implications. luckily my husband has a great career and is not a burden.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:56 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
We've met folks who in later life deeply regretted the time, money and effort they spent raising children. Whether the child was an "accident" or simply a bad decision made by people who didn't really know themselves, the ensuing situation is unfortunate and sad. So, when I hear someone say they are glad they didn't have kids, I think to myself it's a blessing they didn't. Likewise, it's sad to see a couple who want a child very much unable to have one.
Yes, I hear a lot of people talking about how they are "hinting" to their children that they want Grandchildren. People really need to think and decide if having kids is what they want to do. I think too many people have them because it is expected of them and want to fit in. While I have empathy for parents who want their kids to have kids, I think they really need to keep their pie holes closed and not pressure them.

It is sad to see a couple who want a child who are unable to have one, but there are alternatives. There are so many children who are raised in inhumane conditions or with indifference and that is just heart breaking.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:04 PM   #55
Full time employment: Posting here.

Once I hit my 30's, the urge to procreate is a lot stronger than it has ever been. On the rational side.....I will not have children unless I am married and can share the "joy" with the man I love.
If things stay status quo.....single and child free.....I will be able to retire in the next decade at the earliest.
If I get married.....I will make sure that I have a great pre-nup
Old 03-25-2007, 05:07 AM   #56
Dryer sheet aficionado

I am 58, have two grown children and two Grandchildren. Even though they are a lot of expense and normally it does put off retirement a few years. I really enjoy seeing the grown children experience life as a new parent. As for the Grandchildren, I have more fun with them than I thought I would. Maybe the newness will wear off but for now they are surely worth the effort and expense.

Lyle
Old 03-25-2007, 11:54 AM   #57
Dryer sheet wannabe

40 years old. Never been married or had and children. And I don't want to I happy being alone and introverted
Old 03-25-2007, 12:02 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

49 years old introvert. Never had interest in marrying or having kids. Too many friends had bad experiences. Definitely not going there.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:30 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Old 03-25-2007, 04:14 PM   #60

A strange thing happened on my way to being an adult, I didn't want children and as it turned out, I was unable have them. Married a man later in life that didn't want any more, his were grown, worked out well for both of us.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote