Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Single ERers
Old 03-25-2007, 03:51 PM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
It's truly a blessing when folks who are glad they didn't have children didn't have children.
Ya i think we got the point
Mwsinron is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2007, 04:09 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

To pipe in here, I'm quite happily married, I knew since I was a teenager that I wouldn't be able to have kids and never had much of an urge anyway. DH doesn't particularly want them either--certainly not enough to go through the adoption process. Of course we just hit our 30s so we may start having urges, but frankly not having kids allows us to change the world much more directly via volunteering and supporting charities we care about. Fortunately we're blessed with parents who want us to have a happy/prosperous life, with or without grandkids. Also, knock wood, but the childfree lifestyle also will give us the flexibility to take care of them in whatever ways they may need as they age.
OKLibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 07:42 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKLibrarian
Also, knock wood, but the childfree lifestyle also will give us the flexibility to take care of them (elderly parents) in whatever ways they may need as they age.
Very true. That was one of the advantages of not having the responsibilities of raising children and being able to retire "early". When my Dad was in the nursing home and severely incapacitated for 4 years as a result of a major stroke, I was able to spend time with him 5 to 6 times a week there to make sure he was getting cleaned properly "down there" after bm's, turned regularly in the evenings to prevent bedsores, that his head was elevated at all times to prevent food/liquids getting into his lungs, and that the heels of his feet were not pressing against the bed. With all due respect to CNA's (certified nursing aids) who work at the nursing homes, I think it is true that family members still need to be pro-active and personally check in on parents (or close relatives) on a regular basis to make sure things are being done (or done properly), even if it is a 24-hour-a-day nursing facility. My 3 siblings, who either have children and/or demanding jobs that require extensive travel out of town, did not have the energy or time to do this on a regular or extended basis and were happy that I (being single with no children and early retired) was able to be there for my Dad when he needed it the most. (My Mother predeceased my Dad by many years.)
Toejam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:11 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toejam
I think it is true that family members still need to be pro-active and personally check in on parents (or close relatives) on a regular basis
My 100% agreement. I've noticed that here in the Chicago area, new businesses are cropping up supplying "advocates." These folks make their living by going from nursing home to nursing home checking on people/clients and the care they are receiving and reporting back to relatives. I'm sure a demand for this type of service wouldn't be cropping up if there was no need.......

You made one heck of a sacrifice and I certainly respect that you were willing to do that.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:20 PM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

30 and single...but definitely looking (and it sure is challenging )...and look forward to raising children with my future wife.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:51 AM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
My 100% agreement. I've noticed that here in the Chicago area, new businesses are cropping up supplying "advocates." These folks make their living by going from nursing home to nursing home checking on people/clients and the care they are receiving and reporting back to relatives. I'm sure a demand for this type of service wouldn't be cropping up if there was no need.......
hmm...you just tickled my entrepreneurial bone with this comment. I haven't seen this (yet) in my neck of the woods, but I bet there's a niche for it...
OKLibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:15 AM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreBonds
30 and single...but definitely looking (and it sure is challenging )...and look forward to raising children with my future wife.
Just be sure to put away $250,000 per kid you have and it will all be ok.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:07 PM   #68
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by theronware
I never thought I would like ballet (i.e. "what the hell are doing at this bourgeois heter-normative fantasy?") but we were as rapt as she. And I haven't looked forward to xmas so much for years -- consumerist or not, there are some wonderful upsides...
theronware
I love "bourgeois hetero-normative fantasy." (Describes our whole culture)

I adore the Nutcracker too...and I sat through a production of Swan Lake with tears streaming down my face as a kid. My mother was so worried, she took me out for pie afterward. I tried to explain that I'd really been enjoying myself.

Congrats on FIRE'ing at 42!
tikitoast is offline   Reply With Quote