Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Re: So can I retire at 45?
Old 10-15-2006, 10:43 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
youbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,965
Re: So can I retire at 45?

Quote:
Originally Posted by accountingsucks

So in summary I can save around 55K per year. Am I on crack in thinking that 45 is doable? Worst case scenario is that I would at least stop working full time and only work part time to cover my expenses and to let my nest egg grow. This is an option that is also appealing.
This has been an interesting thread.

My opinion of your situation is that when you reach 45 you should have reached FIRE. If not, you can stand in front of the mirror and look at the person who failed to execute what should have been a no-brainer. Yes, you can retire at 45, just don't screw it up!
__________________

__________________
"I wasn't born blue blood. I was born blue-collar." John Wort Hannam
youbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: So can I retire at 45?
Old 10-23-2006, 12:40 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
nun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,836
Re: So can I retire at 45?

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
This has been an interesting thread.

My opinion of your situation is that when you reach 45 you should have reached FIRE. If not, you can stand in front of the mirror and look at the person who failed to execute what should have been a no-brainer. Yes, you can retire at 45, just don't screw it up!
55k/year for 15 years at 6% should give you a nest egg of $1.2M. That, with a paid off house, should easily let you take $27k (18k today inflated over 15 yeasr at 3%). However, being comparatively young I think your life and plan will probably change before you get to 45. That being said you're goal is good and you are setting about it well. I'd take your 55k/year and put 80% in index funds, some Canadian, some US and some International and the other 20% into MM to build up a cash reserve.
__________________

__________________
“So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: So can I retire at 45?
Old 11-09-2006, 06:25 PM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 47
Send a message via AIM to excellent
Re: So can I retire at 45?

By the time you're 45 the situation regarding the environment, energy sources, and the global economy will be vastly different. Noone can look into the future, but hopefully it will work out for you regardless. Have a good day!
__________________

__________________
I&#039;m here to share what I learn and learn what I&#039;ll share!<br />Have a great day!<br />(:
excellent is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
500 search phrases for 2006 dory36 Other topics 2 01-16-2007 08:00 AM
I thought I'd post a Picture of my Wife naked..... TromboneAl Life after FIRE 13 10-19-2005 10:14 AM
How people find us... asian carp?? dory36 Forum Admin 4 05-27-2005 01:07 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:59 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.