Join Early Retirement Today

so close I can taste it...
Old 01-08-2015, 07:00 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

so close I can taste it...

Company went public last year. Got all my ducks in a row. Know what we're spending. Have been living within our retirement budget (which only required minor adjustments) for several months. Moved to a lower tax state, and am now diversifying on schedule. Really, I could quit today. But for the rest of the year, every month I've got $5-figures worth of shares vesting, and it just seems unwise to walk away from that. It's going to provide us with a nice bump in either annual spending or safety, and I'll probably never reach that kind of income level again.

So I'm sticking with it for now... Work isn't bad. A lot of it is interesting. Some people are annoying. All pretty much par for the course. I just want to be doing other things than what I'm being paid for.

Somehow because it's so close, it seems that much more painful to have to keep w*rking. Little annoyances bug me more, not less.

I wish I could just hit fast-forward and wake up in December...
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2015, 09:05 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sure makes a difference in your attitude with the vesting and the chance to be FI. Stick it out, you even said it is not too bad. Always have people to deal with any job, some good and some bad. Just keep your eyes on the prize, and 11 more months until Dec.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:14 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

If it helps, remember that you have Another Plan in the works. As the BS roils at w*rk, you know your days of putting up with it are numbered. I hear ya, tho... Congrats on getting to where you are!
growerVon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:23 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by growerVon View Post
If it helps, remember that you have Another Plan in the works. As the BS roils at w*rk, you know your days of putting up with it are numbered. I hear ya, tho... Congrats on getting to where you are!
+1 Even though I added a year, OMY syndrome, the fact that I see the light at the end of the tunnel and know I have prepared for the next phase gets me through the bad days.
Travelwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuisance View Post
Got all my ducks in a row…. Really, I could quit today. But for the rest of the year, every month I've got $5-figures worth of shares vesting, and it just seems unwise to walk away from that. It's going to provide us with a nice bump in either annual spending or safety, and I'll probably never reach that kind of income level again. So I'm sticking with it for now.
While One More Year syndrome can be an easy trap to fall into, personally I see nothing wrong with deciding to postpone ER to add a bit of a savings buffer: especially when your job is non-toxic.

Quote:
Work isn't bad. A lot of it is interesting. Some people are annoying. All pretty much par for the course. I just want to be doing other things than what I'm being paid for.
Much better to be walking towards something than running away from something else.

Quote:
Somehow because it's so close, it seems that much more painful to have to keep w*rking. Little annoyances bug me more, not less.
That was not my post-FI but pre-ER experience. Knowing that I was on the job by choice and privately pursuing my own agenda/timetable made the petty stuff a lot more bearable.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:09 AM   #6

Congratulations. There's nothing wrong with taking easy money. You know you've got enough but you don't want to walk away from "free" money.

I extended my employment from mid-2014 to Jan 2015 to save somewhere around $60-70k in extra taxes due to a SERP payout. With a non-toxic job, it seemed like a no-brainer. I'm now just in a wrap up phase which could end any day. My boss is having problems finding billable projects for people and the "difficult transition" he envisioned seems less important now than find a charge number for someone on overhead. My bubbly is chilling.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:09 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the mental support, and confirmation I'm doing the right thing.
Eye on the prize, focus on the early retirement forums job.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:13 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Isn't this your opportunity to say the things you really want to when dealing with obnoxious people at work? I mean, you aren't worried about career advancement or getting fired anymore! Start playing buzzword bingo in meetings, wear bizarre shirts, affect a fake British accent....the possibilities are endless!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:45 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Laurence, sadly I cannot bring myself to do that.
I was tempted today to reply "that's not going to bite is this year, so go ahead." But it seems a little early to give notice.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:42 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

, affect a fake British accent....the possibilities are endless![/QUOTE] bloody hell! that's brilliant. I'm so gonna do that!
Throwdownmyaceinthehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:50 PM   #11

That last year can be really fun. Being totally candid with annoying people can be a treat!
Old 01-15-2015, 03:12 PM   #12
Gone but not forgotten

Ever consider that early retirement could be unpatriotic?

Businesses Try To Stave Off Brain Drain As Boomers Retire : NPR
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:55 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post

Uh huh...

M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:32 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

As a 40 year old trying to climb the ladder, I think it's quite patriotic when y'all boomers retire!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 11:46 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Nope. I'm sure some people see it that way, but being or appearing to be patriotic is not very high on my list.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurence View Post
As a 40 year old trying to climb the ladder, I think it's quite patriotic when y'all boomers retire!
Boomers (and older) do need to retire to make room for those of us in our 40s, but unfortunately, many of them are still trying to recover losses from 2008! Many of those who have recovered are still gun shy about retiring, since they know they'll never be able to find a comparable position again.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:31 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Earn some karma, do your younger coworkers (and your country) a big favour, and leave a legacy: spend as much time as you can during the coming year teaching what you know. Make your last year count, and it will pass a whole lot faster.
Davis65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:21 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis65 View Post
Earn some karma, do your younger coworkers (and your country) a big favour, and leave a legacy: spend as much time as you can during the coming year teaching what you know. Make your last year count, and it will pass a whole lot faster.
I like that. Take the positive view. I'll keep this in mind next week and see what I can contribute.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:27 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a couple years to go, but I found out when I became vested in 2014 and knew I could leave at anytime, my job became much better(was not bad to begin with). Now just knowing I can leave, I find that very little bothers me at work
mtheulen is offline   Reply With Quote