Join Early Retirement Today

So I'm a chicken...
Old 11-12-2008, 11:39 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

So I'm a chicken...

Market Dispatches - MSN Money

With all the "deals" out there I still can't get myself to invest in any of them. I don't have a clue on the bottom, and I don't want to make a move until I finish reading . Can someone talk me out of it?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2008, 12:13 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyboard Ninja View Post
Market Dispatches - MSN Money

With all the "deals" out there I still can't get myself to invest in any of them. I don't have a clue on the bottom, and I don't want to make a move until I finish reading . Can someone talk me out of it?
I got all of my 2007 and 2008 Keogh deposits into stock funds in June and Sept., of course, only to see those funds decline.

My plan was to re-balance some bonds into stocks at the beginning of Nov. But, like you, I'm putting it off. I'm telling myself it doesn't matter where the bottom is, just keep on investing in stocks. I've never hit an absolute high in selling but have been close enough, the same applies to buying low. Maybe I'll buy again at the beginning of December, or January. It remains on the "to-do" list.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:09 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I keep buying every 2 weeks. I know I will get in at the bottom (or darn close) just don't know when it will be...

I bought at the peak too but didn't know it at the time.

Finish your reading. I think you will have plenty of time to buy while prices are low

DD
Old 11-12-2008, 03:25 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Throw your max in your TSP and watch it grow over the years when it comes back! You will be laughing at all those who didn't get in!

I HAD made close to $10K in it over the last few years, but now I am in the red, but I don't care....I still have 20 years before I can even touch it!
Old 11-12-2008, 06:38 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Can someone talk me out of it?
Classic paralysis by analysis, a common affliction of the "intelligence" community.

You need an operational type to snap you out of it.

So here's some operational type: put half of your TSP contribution in the "S" fund, put the other half in the "I" fund, and keep reading Bernstein's "Four Pillars".

Or put your TSP contribution in the "L" fund, put all your other taxable savings in a Vanguard or Fidelity lifecycle retirement fund, take a break from your investing education, and go shopping for 2LT insignia...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:56 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If I knew where the bottom was in the past and where it will be in the future, I'd be a very wealthy woman...but as it is I have enough. I am and will remain in the stock market. As long as people need/want stuff, I'll make money.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:56 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I second Nords. You've got such a long time horizon that getting in now, even if it's not at the bottom, won't matter much to you. Personally I'd go with 1/3 each in C, S, and I.

See my reply in this thread for my take on the question of whether to stay in (the same reasoning applies for getting in):
Is it just me, or are you also seeing...
Old 11-13-2008, 02:22 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Classic paralysis by analysis, a common affliction of the "intelligence" community.

You need an operational type to snap you out of it.

So here's some operational type: put half of your TSP contribution in the "S" fund, put the other half in the "I" fund, and keep reading Bernstein's "Four Pillars".

Or put your TSP contribution in the "L" fund, put all your other taxable savings in a Vanguard or Fidelity lifecycle retirement fund, take a break from your investing education, and go shopping for 2LT insignia...
Oh I'm still buying. Everything has been automatic so I don't think about it. TSP has been L2040 (50%), S (25%), and I (25%) since Feb 2007. The leftovers go into a Fidelity 2040 since Jan 2008. This was before I started reading .

And this is exactly how I feel:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Screw it, I'm going down with the ship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Funny you should mention that, I talked to another advisor today I know. His comment?:

"I feel like I'm a member of the band playing on the deck of the Titanic".......

Next up:

- Take the AFOQT after the deployment (Feb)
- Apply for a Master's degree program in D.C. (Mar)
- Take the E5 promotion test (Apr)

I hope that is enough diversification

And yes I'm still a chicken when it comes to individual stocks...
Old 11-13-2008, 04:56 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
And yes I'm still a chicken when it comes to individual stocks...
Nothing wrong with that.

You could go your entire life without getting sucked into the stock-picking morass, where the tuition can be more expensive than the profits...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 06:48 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Nothing wrong with that.

You could go your entire life without getting sucked into the stock-picking morass, where the tuition can be more expensive than the profits...
Yep - that and watching football.

heh heh heh - And whatever you do don't bet on the games!