Join Early Retirement Today

Someone died at work today. 40 years old
Old 01-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Someone died at work today. 40 years old

Same age as I am. Had a heart attack. Looked healthy.
Can't believe he just dropped and died. Every is speculating it was stress related(no idea of family heart history).

Sadly, this is the 5th person at work that I have known died in the last 2 years. The other were from cancer and injuries.
All relatively young(as least to me if they are not older than 50!).

Makes me want to retire even without being FI.
comicbookgujy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sorry to hear about your co-workers death. Only 40 years old is certainly young and we don't expect that to happen.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #3

It is scary. More evidence that you need to get yourself free as soon as possible since we don't know how long we will last.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As workers are expected to endure longer hours and worse conditions as employers take advantage of a captive workforce caused by high unemployment, I only expect more of this in the future.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #5

Sorry to hear about this.
More perspective on the "OneMoreYear" syndrome.
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:24 PM   #6

That's terrible.

DW and I are in our early 40s and hearing more and more of our circle of friends or old classmates running into health related issues.

Time to enjoy life more .... I started last year moving into contract work, less hours and less stress.
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:39 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I understand correlation doesn't equal causation, but I find it interesting that men are closing the "life expectancy gap" with women and have been for three decades. In the 1980s, women lived about 7 years longer on average, and by 2010 it was down to 5 years.

There's a part of me that thinks women being subjected to w*rkplace stresses and BS on a widespread basis has something to do with that.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I understand correlation doesn't equal causation, but I find it interesting that men are closing the "life expectancy gap" with women and have been for three decades. In the 1980s, women lived about 7 years longer on average, and by 2010 it was down to 5 years.

There's a part of me that thinks women being subjected to w*rkplace stresses and BS on a widespread basis has something to do with that.
I would agree 100%. My DW is a SAHM and always happy and full of laughter. This was not as true without kids and working outside of the house. Workplace stress is ugly.
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post

Women live longer than men by 6 years on average and Japanese women on average will quit than try to climb the corporate ladder. Probably some correlation with their long life expectancy.

Women often have career interuppted due to child-birth so less time dealing with crap at the work place. Although in my work place, there's been 3 gals that just had babies and came back to work 1 month later!! CRAZY. Probably why the current generation of women will have a shorter life expectancy.

I was also surprised that USA rank the 40 in life expectancy
comicbookgujy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:01 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicbookgujy View Post

Speaking with no knowledge of your personal situation, I'd only comment that, IMO, it's a serious mistake to continue to work at some occupation for some employer where you are not enjoying life because of your employment. "Sticking it out" in an unhappy employment situation just because it might lead to early FI is so wrong on so many levels.

If you're unhappy working doing what you do and where you're doing it, change! Time is by far the most precious asset you have. Don't piss it away in an unhappy situation.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #11

This happened to a colleague in my husband's office - my husband happened to be out that day doing something else---it was very tragic as the emergency services showed up late and then got lost on their way to the hospital....very sad. He was a serious runner and in great shape, however, genetically speaking he had issues...his father had had to retire early due to health issues. It was tragic and also affected everyone in the office.....what bothered a lot of them was the poor emergency services response. He left behind two children and a widow.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:25 PM   #12

That's really sad and I'm sorry that happened. That's a young age to die.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:26 AM   #13

Sorry to read this.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:30 AM   #14

Sorry to hear that stress may have caused his early passing. My wife keeps telling me that I really need to stop letting unimportant things bother me. I was lucky to have the opportunity to work at something I enjoyed even though the income was low so my stress has mostly been self induced. I've made it 24 years longer and would like to stick around another 24 years (in relatively good health) another 24 years to enjoy my recent retirement.

I should keep in mind a line from an old Jerry Jeff Walker song - "Life is mostly attitude and timing."

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:12 AM   #15

I'm about to turn 40 as well and I feel and hear that kind of news around me all the time too. Stress is, IMHO, the absolute worst "environmental" factor that affects peoples health. Worse than being overweight, being unfit, etc... In fact, I often talk about this with other people because it is a very observable phenomenon. You'll see someone you know tangentially in business (vendor,client, whatever) who you know is under stress. Then you'll see them a year or two later and they seem to have aged a decade all due to stress. It really seems striking at this age as well because this is when people start to go bald or grey or get wrinkles, etc.. anyway so the stress just seems to physically destroy them.

About 5 years ago it was doing a number on me as well.. chest pains, panic attacks, the whole bit. This was during the hardcharging accumulation phase of my little "fortune" I figured "make hay while the sun shines" Well I did but it damn near killed me. Now that I have a bit of "F/U" money and can pick and choose business more the stress level has decreased (FI means security and freedom of choice to me.. a main factor behind being interested in FIRE anyway).
Also moved the office close to home and continued to improve diet/exercise, etc.. But reduction of stress was the #1 factor in improving my life (so far).
Old 01-24-2013, 08:41 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicbookgujy View Post
Same age as I am. Had a heart attack. Looked healthy.
Can't believe he just dropped and died. Every is speculating it was stress related(no idea of family heart history).

Sadly, this is the 5th person at work that I have known died in the last 2 years. The other were from cancer and injuries.
All relatively young(as least to me if they are not older than 50!).
That is sad indeed. A good friend/co-worker that I hired, developed and saw promoted died suddenly of a heart attack at age 41. He appeared in good health, but he smoked up to 2 packs/day of non-filter Camels (we repeatedly tried to get him to quit) and his father had already had several heart attacks at a very young age. I still think about him often. I spoke at his services.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicbookgujy
And if you then live to 95? Fortunately most of us will live to a ripe old age...well documented.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:42 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Carpe diem.
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:41 PM   #18

This made me look at an actuarial life table.
Actuarial Life Table

For males, by 40, almost 4,500 of every 100,000 people born alive are already dead.
As the previous poster said - Carpe Diem.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

At age 40, Carpe Diem for 1 in 20, and a mix of Carpe & Amitte Diem for 19 in 20. How do we know which group we're in...no reply necessary.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:19 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Damn, I'm 42 and have had some issues. Every time I read something like this it makes we want to speed up my RE.... It'd suck to work this hard for this long and to have saved this much only to kick the bucket and leave it all for someone else to enjoy.
...condolences to the family...
When you walk in the shadow of insanity, the presence of another mind that thinks and acts as yours does is something close to a blessed event. -Robert Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
panhead is offline   Reply With Quote