Someone died at work today. 40 years old

Right or wrong I "give a cr*p" because the fear of 'living under a bridge eating cat food' is much stronger than my fear of 'being the richest person in the old age home' for me, especially at age 58.

This is interesting, because I suspect that most of the people on this board feel the way you do, Mid, hence the long discussion on SS, pensions, SWR, and the like. But the few outliers hidden here, me among them, might lean more toward that "well the crunchy cat food isn't ALL that bad", especially on days when the prison bars seem to be closing in more than usual. And I'm not entirely convinced that I'm willing to trade my best years for a more comfortable old age.

It is the usual risk/reward scenario, and grudgingly, we'll probably still stick it out longer than we could, but maybe not as long as most. I've not given much thought to my longevity, but then again, I'm a lot younger than you. :D

I understand correlation doesn't equal causation, but I find it interesting that men are closing the "life expectancy gap" with women and have been for three decades. In the 1980s, women lived about 7 years longer on average, and by 2010 it was down to 5 years.

There's a part of me that thinks women being subjected to w*rkplace stresses and BS on a widespread basis has something to do with that.

Karma is a B**ch!

This happened to a colleague in my husband's office - my husband happened to be out that day doing something else---it was very tragic as the emergency services showed up late and then got lost on their way to the hospital....very sad. He was a serious runner and in great shape, however, genetically speaking he had issues...his father had had to retire early due to health issues. It was tragic and also affected everyone in the office.....what bothered a lot of them was the poor emergency services response. He left behind two children and a widow.

How the hell can emergency services get lost on the way to the hospital? If they are the local emergency services providers, should they not know where ALL the hosptials are? :nonono::mad:

How the hell can emergency services get lost on the way to the hospital? If they are the local emergency services providers, should they not know where ALL the hosptials are? :nonono::mad:

I hate to admit it, but I used to be an EMT, and this isnt as unusual as you think. There were several times when I got lost going to where I was supposed to be going, to pick up or drop off a patient, which ended up being a billing nightmare, as our little private ambulance company billed by the mile. Thankfully nothing was urgent, as I dont know how I would have handled it if it ended up being my fault that a patient expired because I couldnt find the right place to go. Granted this was 2004 before GPS was mainstream, but it happens. They do their best.

This is interesting, because I suspect that most of the people on this board feel the way you do, Mid, hence the long discussion on SS, pensions, SWR, and the like. But the few outliers hidden here, me among them, might lean more toward that "well the crunchy cat food isn't ALL that bad", especially on days when the prison bars seem to be closing in more than usual. And I'm not entirely convinced that I'm willing to trade my best years for a more comfortable old age.

It is the usual risk/reward scenario, and grudgingly, we'll probably still stick it out longer than we could, but maybe not as long as most. I've not given much thought to my longevity, but then again, I'm a lot younger than you. :D

This is pretty close to how I feel. My parents are both gone, the oldest (my mother) at 80, and that is the oldest that I feel I need to actively plan for. I figure if I enter an old age home before this, I'll have the cash for a few years. If it's after 80, I can sell my house and still log a few years at the old age home. Isn't the average stay under a year anyway?

What has gotten me even more serious about getting out early is this: about a year ago I was given a routine medication that gave me a heart attack. Ambulance, 3 days in ICU, the whole enchilada. Could've kicked the pervebial bucket right then and there....and I was 41 when that happened.....Now, if anybody on this board knows me, they sure know who I am now!

So after this death, did all the guys age 50 and up go get physicals and have their hearts checked out?

I am sorry to hear of the death of your coworker. 40 is far to young.

I hate to admit it, but I used to be an EMT, and this isnt as unusual as you think. There were several times when I got lost going to where I was supposed to be going, to pick up or drop off a patient, which ended up being a billing nightmare, as our little private ambulance company billed by the mile. Thankfully nothing was urgent, as I dont know how I would have handled it if it ended up being my fault that a patient expired because I couldnt find the right place to go........

Two years ago I fell down the stairs at work and broke my wrist. I also hit my head on the door at the bottom of the stairs, so my employer insisted on calling an ambulance to take me to the hospital, rather than having a coworker drive me. The ambulance got lost on the way to pick me up, because the name of our street was very similar to a street a few miles away. For the first 30 minutes or so, the shock and the ice masked the pain, but after that the pain kicked in, and I gently suggested that the HR folks call the EMTs a second time to make sure they were on their way. They finally arrived 45 minutes after the fall. When they got there they were amazing and took great care of me.

I was really annoyed at the time, but looking back, I'm glad it happened on that occasion, and NOT the time a coworker of mine had a ruptured brain aneurysm at work. That time the EMTs arrived in a few minutes flat - probably the reason my coworker is still with us and doing fine today.

Life-threatening events like the one experienced by my coworker can certainly make one re-think priorities.

Sorry to hear the news. I saw the obits of two people I served with recently, both 45 or 46. Too young if you ask me!

40 years young, crazy.

I go to the gym after work each day. I figure that should keep me healthy as long as I keep it up.

40 years young, crazy.

I go to the gym after work each day. I figure that should keep me healthy as long as I keep it up.

This guy was in shape. He went to the gym almost everyday.
Don't know about his family history.

Unfortunately, I have also known co workers that died from cancer and nothing could have prevented it. They died from lung cancer and they didn't smoke or drink.

Just goes to show you...you're here one day and gone the next and the MegaCorp really don't give a damn about you or your family

I am also sorry to hear of the death of your coworker. 40 is way to young to die. If you have symptoms do not ignore them. I bet they had early warning signs and thought nothing of it. I have lost many friends who died suddenly with heart problems. Its strange as we age we look more at obituaries to see if they are younger than we are. If I make it to August I will be 66. That is already 3 years longer than my Mom made it. She also died of heart disease at 63. I do take much better care of myself than my parents did. I quit smoking 30 years ago and they never kicked the habit. Oldtrig

The bottom line is that not one of us knows for certain that we will see the sun rise tomorrow. Not a one. HOW we respond to that is as indivudual as we each are - shaped by our personal health, family history, religious beliefs, generaly outlook on life and many more factors. AND our response may or may not change the fact that we will or will not live to see the sun rise tomorrow. If there is that proverbial bus with your name on it, c'est la vie. All the planning and so on in the world will not change anything.

IF, on the other hand, we are "unfortunate" enough to live a long and healthy live, failure to plan might well reduce the quality of that long and healthy life.

So, I plan. And adjust. And, yes even worry. But also realize it might be for naught. And try to live and enjoy each day as it comes. Speaking of which, DANG, missed my nap today. Oh, well. There is another one with my name on it tomorrow!

This is just one more reminder to make sure your beneficiary information is up to date on those Life insurance policies and IRA's. Too many times the money goes to an estranged person.

Having a co-worker die is no reason to retire early. Nobody knows when your last day on earth will be. If you enjoy what you are doing at work then I doubt retirement has entered your mind. We can all find excuses to quit work, bad day, terrible boss and I could go on and on. If someone is only 40 in my opinion you have many years left ahead of you to enjoy life. Work is a big part of that life.

I probably quit in my mind 25 years before I did finally hang it up. I waited until I was what normally is excepted as retirement age.

I play golf with a person who is only 50. He plays way to much golf when he should be working. He is now in terrible financial shape and when I ask why he is playing so much golf he tells me his dad died at 69 so he going to enjoy life while he can. Again a bad mistake and terrible excuse not to work.

I guess I grew up in an era if you were young and did not work you were looked down on as lazy. Thats just how I was taught. You people that are only 40 and thinking about retiring early think real hard before you make that move. Good jobs are really hard to find. Bad days at work are also plentiful. I will shut up now. oldtrig

Old Trig.... I, for one, certainly believe that your views are very important. The accepted age for retirement is certainly one consideration. I think you really nailed it when you said that "If you enjoy what you are doing at work then I doubt retirement has entered your mind." The opposite is also true. At some point, regardless of age, you know it is time to hang it up. Your golf buddy made his own decision. Whether right or wrong it was his to make, and the consequences are his to live with. We all face those same issues. Re lazy, keep an open mind. Retired doesn't necessarily mean no work. Some folks voulnteer their time. It really is a presonal choice.

Right or wrong I "give a cr*p" because the fear of 'living under a bridge eating cat food' is much stronger than my fear of 'being the richest person in the old age home' for me, especially at age 58.

+ 1

The fear of running out of money, or even being forced to cut back on my desired or, worse, possible standard of living is a much greater motivator than the possibility of leaving a meaningful estate to my children or my cat.

I will loosen up in time, ideally I'll die broke.

I doubt if I would. Unless/until I know that I only have a short period of time left, I will keep assuming the best. I never want to be in the position where I have to start a conversation with DW by saying "Honey, our financial plan has worked out just as we planned. All we have to do now is make sure we die in the next three years....":facepalm:

Sorry to hear the news. I saw the obits of two people I served with recently, both 45 or 46. Too young if you ask me!

We seem to be inundated lately with deaths of friends and aquaintances in their early 60s. Last week someone who was to retire at the end of this semester :(. No longer "too young," but still too soon.

Old Trig.... I, for one, certainly believe that your views are very important. The accepted age for retirement is certainly one consideration. I think you really nailed it when you said that "If you enjoy what you are doing at work then I doubt retirement has entered your mind." The opposite is also true. At some point, regardless of age, you know it is time to hang it up. Your golf buddy made his own decision. Whether right or wrong it was his to make, and the consequences are his to live with. We all face those same issues. Re lazy, keep an open mind. Retired doesn't necessarily mean no work. Some folks voulnteer their time. It really is a personal choice.
I was once told that everyone would know when the time is right for retirement. That was definitely a true statement in my case. I had thought about it when I turned 62 but could not make it happen. I was driving down the road in my company truck and it hit me that today was the day. I went straight to personnel and turned in my papers. It was the right move for me because for one I am not getting any younger. I also wanted to spend more time with my 18 month old grandchild. I actually loved my work and really had it made. I also made good money for this area and had a company vehicle to drive home. It just comes a time when all of us make that move. At 40 there would have been no way for me even if I could have afforded to retire. That is just way to young to give up working in my opinion. No way you would know for sure if your money would hold out for say 45 years. At 65 it gets different. My time is much shorter than most 40 year olds even though none of us know when our last day is. I am only posting how I fell about all this. Its real easy to use the excuse that I might not live to enjoy anything to leave work young. Mid 60's is just how I always looked at someone retiring. Look at some of the lottery winners that hit it big at an early age and see how they turned out. Most were not happy after a while. I wish I felt like working again. I would go back working for myself in a minute but I just cannot get going like when I ws 40. I guess it part of getting old. Ok, I am though typing again. Sorry if I hurt anyone's feeling with my rant. oldtrig

Old trig, there is nothing wrong with how you feel and your beliefs. Even if I don't agree with a couple of your points, I think you, like me, are the product of your experiences, upbringing, age, and culture. What is right for you is simply right for you. And I appreciate your perspective, even if I may not come to the same conclusions.
Thank you for your ideas.

A few years ago the first person in my small high school class died (he was late 30's). The shocking thing was that (1) he committed suicide and (2) of all the people in my graduating class I think he was the person I would suspect least of having problems with depression.

Old trig, definitely felt like you about an appropriate retirement age until recently. I work for VeryMegaCorp and absolutely loved me job for 20 years or so until the soulless demons of middle management were allowed to run totally amuck and the last 5 years have become massively less than rewarding. Then I had a sooner than expected mitral valve repair this summer which I truly believe was aggravated and accelerated by the bucketloads of stress dumped on us. The day I left the hospital was the day I decided to RE ASAP.

My DW and I have been the poster children for LBYM. I am so glad. I had planned on working to SS age and am now looking at early 2014 at age 57. It's going to be a little tight, but I think we can make it work. I am pleased to have found this site. Been lurking around awhile and am feeling better about our decision.

Old trig, definitely felt like you about an appropriate retirement age until recently. I work for VeryMegaCorp and absolutely loved me job for 20 years or so until the soulless demons of middle management were allowed to run totally amuck and the last 5 years have become massively less than rewarding. Then I had a sooner than expected mitral valve repair this summer which I truly believe was aggravated and accelerated by the bucketloads of stress dumped on us. The day I left the hospital was the day I decided to RE ASAP.

My DW and I have been the poster children for LBYM. I am so glad. I had planned on working to SS age and am now looking at early 2014 at age 57. It's going to be a little tight, but I think we can make it work. I am pleased to have found this site. Been lurking around awhile and am feeling better about our decision.

Same situation as you, except I'm younger. 40 years old and loved my job for 15 years and new management took over 2 years old and now it's a living hell. So bad that I now have to take 2 pills a day to make it through the day and have to see a shrink for my problem from the stress load at work.

I wanted to work another 5 years and that would have given me enough to retire early comfortably. Now I'm just waiting for servance or termination. Could not have imagined this 2 years ago, but it's just not worth going to this everyday and that's when I know it's time to quit.

Back
Top Bottom