Join Early Retirement Today

Something I will not miss about w***
Old 10-17-2007, 08:43 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Something I will not miss about w***

Squabbling with my spouse because we are both too tired/stressed to deal with things and have a reasonable conversation like adults.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2007, 06:54 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Squabbling with my spouse because we are both too tired/stressed to deal with things and have a reasonable conversation like adults.
So many are stuck in work environments that are, frankly, abusive - - with ridiculously long hours and/or a hostile environment, that increase our exhaustion and stress level. It's hard to come home from something like that, day after day after day, and still be sweet, emotionally accessible, and fun to be around.

When people are hungry or sleepy or have other basic animal needs, they tend to get cranky!! This is something that I learned being a mother. When people are stressed and overworked, often they don't get enough sleep and the alarm clock rings all too early. Then they can hardly help being a little cranky.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 07:01 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Brewer,

Sounds like you are having a really tough stretch. Yea, the spillover of the cr*p into the important part of life only adds to the stress. Hopefully, you can touch base with your wife today and get things into perspective.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:20 AM   #4

Brewer,

I've found that it was a problem when DW was not working. I'd come home late and tired, and she was still perky and talkative. I wasn't a very good listener or participant. Then it got worse. DW also went to work. Now we're both tired, but whereas I pretty much keep it all inside about the ridiculous things that can occur at work, DW is driven to issue forth with every detail. Like most men, at first I simply wanted to suggest a solution to reduce what I mistakenly interpreted as here misery. Truth is, she simply wanted to vent and needed a willing ear. I still have a hard time in that roll, but I do understand it now.

Good luck working it out.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:26 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Absolutely! Shortly after I retired, I noticed a definite change in this aspect of my relationship with my DH. I hadn't realized how much time we spent talking about work during the few hours we spent together during the work week. As a result, we didn't really talk about more important stuff...and when we did, it seemed to degrade often into a spat.

Once I left work (DH is still working), I was able to deal with more of the daily stuff instead of letting it mostly pile up for the weekends. Now, we still talk about DH's job, but the tension level on both sides is down considerably and we've both noticed that our relationship is better, stronger, more enjoyable.
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
A few more items I will not miss from Mega Corp
Old 10-18-2007, 08:45 AM   #6

A few more items I will not miss from Mega Corp

Brewer is right bad jobs can take a toll on family life. Of course if you follow the recommendations on this board you know the time in that situation can be shortened which helps tremendously.

After twelve years with current Mega Corp I certainly will not miss the following:

- Long hours in a sardine can environment. No cubicles or windows just desks right beside each other with two feet between each person on all sides.

- Working with minimal light to save money

- Working indoors with the Ac turn off after lunch to save money

- Bonuses being withheld because the company missed its business plan even though it set a record for profits in the industry

- Having raises cut to 1% for the same reason above

- Walking 2/10 of a mile across a flooded parking lot in the rain to work

- The constant manipulation form upper management to protect their jobs since they are in probably a harder spot.

Thanks to 21 years of LBYM with DW, this forum, and ESRBobs book I was able to reach an end to the Mega Corp job.

Just 34 more working days to FREEDOM!
Old 10-18-2007, 08:52 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Early in my career, a Dale Carnegie book (How to stop worrying and start living) helped me a lot. One piece of advice that I will never forget was:
"Learn to live in day-tight compartments."

Even in retirement, I have my compartments, e.g. a strict quota for hours on the Internet each day. Even doing income tax, I allocate 2 hours a day to spread the frustration.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:21 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
Brewer is right bad jobs can take a toll on family life. Of course if you follow the recommendations on this board you know the time in that situation can be shortened which helps tremendously.

After twelve years with current Mega Corp I certainly will not miss the following:

- Long hours in a sardine can environment. No cubicles or windows just desks right beside each other with two feet between each person on all sides.

- Working with minimal light to save money

- Working indoors with the Ac turn off after lunch to save money

- Bonuses being withheld because the company missed its business plan even though it set a record for profits in the industry

- Having raises cut to 1% for the same reason above

- Walking 2/10 of a mile across a flooded parking lot in the rain to work

- The constant manipulation form upper management to protect their jobs since they are in probably a harder spot.

Thanks to 21 years of LBYM with DW, this forum, and ESRBobs book I was able to reach an end to the Mega Corp job.

Just 34 more working days to FREEDOM!
Boy, you've really earned your freedom!

When I first joined MegaCorp, the peons had to park in a lot that was nearly 1/2 mile from the building. That was bad enough, but there was a railroad track between the lot and the campus, so we also had to climb 45 stairs up and 45 down to cross a passenger bridge whenever a train blocked the lot entrance..and since my department started later than most, we also had to park in the far part of the lot. In the best of weather, it was at least a 10 minute walk. I remember one day when it started to pour just as we were leaving the office. I asked my boss -- whose parking space was maybe 10 steps from the building door -- if he'd mind giving me and a co-worker a ride to our lot. He didn't miss a beat as he told us "walking is good exercise", got into his car and drove off. That was my first lesson in how not to treat the staff!!
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote