Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Special Package arrived today
Old 06-21-2006, 08:34 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

Congrats! She's sweet.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2006, 09:16 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

What wonderful news Brewer!!! I got one just like her, joy of my life....

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:13 AM   #43
Dryer sheet aficionado

Brewer,

How are things man?* Just saw your post- belated Congrats! Many sleepless nights i am sure..* We are planning for our first child in 2007 so i am trying to psyche myself up for the obvious tasks at hand- diaper changing and occasional sleep walking.*

Duke
mudbuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:16 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

MB, you'll take to it quickly enough, I am sure. Takes a little practice (and lots of coffee), but well worth the effort.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:53 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
MB, you'll take to it quickly enough, I am sure. Takes a little practice (and lots of coffee), but well worth the effort.
I'm lost, are we talking about making the baby or changing diapers here?

Cuz I dont remember drinking any coffee when making the baby, and have learned to keep coffee away from the baby while diapering...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:56 AM   #46
Dryer sheet aficionado

that's funny stuff! I already on 2-3 cups a day at work so a few more at night shouldn't be a problem-changing diapers that is! :
Old 07-03-2006, 11:04 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Its not at night when you need the coffee; its when you have to go to work the next day. I'm starting to feel like the main character in "Fight Club": When you have insomnia, you're never really awake. Everything is a copy of a copy of a copy...

- George Orwell

Old 07-03-2006, 11:08 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Ha ha...you'll get sleep again. In 20-25 years.

Fun tip for those newborns. They tend to like to pee on you when you're in the middle of a diaper change...cool air hitting their usually diaper covered 'parts' is often the culprit. Gabe used to pee at me 98% of the time when he was 0-~5 months old.

I learned that if I wet a finger and used it to wet his belly button before I removed the diaper, then blew gently on it, the cool air hitting the wet belly button made him pee immediately and INSIDE the diaper.

Costco and Sams Club sell diapers under their own names very inexpensively. The costco ones are rebranded huggies or pampers and are really nice. The sams ones sell for a lot less but while being good quality, they dont have a lot of elasticity in the waist and I like that. We paid about $28 for the ~220 count costco and $19 for the same size sams club diapers. Super cheap.

While you're there, check out their baby formula. They're both rebranded Enfamil at half the cost. I prefer the costco version as it comes in two smaller cans rather than sams clubs one giant tall can.

Trying to decide whether to change my name to "diaper daddy" or "soccer mom"...:P
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:12 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Heh, the benefits of havng two girls...

- George Orwell

Old 07-03-2006, 11:19 AM   #50
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm with you on that Brewer! Projectile peeing with a max range of maybe 1"!

Walmart's "Parent's Choice" diapers, wipes, and formula all worked wonderfully for us. In fact, we prefer the walmart brand diapers and formula over the name brands. We couldn't tell a difference in the wipes (but guess which one is 50% cheaper? ). Try it!
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 11:23 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

I think the sams diapers are the same as one of the major walmart brands, not sure if its 'parents choice' or 'white cloud'.

You guys are missing one of the more hilarious moments in baby raising. When your kid is walking around in the tub in water up to his knees, peeing the whole way, and then notices it and get the "what the %$%# is that?" look on his face.

I'm also betting that things work better on the boy side about 13-14 years from now. I know for a fact that my yard isnt big enough to bury many bodies of prospective boyfriends and i'll be too old to be digging holes by then.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:26 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
I'm also betting that things work better on the boy side about 13-14 years from now. I know for a fact that my yard isnt big enough to bury many bodies of prospective boyfriends and i'll be too old to be digging holes by then.
I'm undecided on that issue. Let's consult in 13-14 years and see if raging female hormones or raging male hormones are worse.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:29 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
I'm undecided on that issue.* Let's consult in 13-14 years and see if raging female hormones or raging male hormones are worse.* *
Yeah, I am not holding my breath that either will be a picnic...

- George Orwell

Old 07-03-2006, 11:31 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Eh, I'm siding with the raging male hormones, as I've had personal experience with them.

Its also easier for some of you guys that are younger than I am. I'd have to work a lot harder to be intimidating when I'm in my early 60s. I'd probably have to go for the direct approach of sitting in the driveway sharpening my machete collection and telling the kid that wanted to date my daughter "I have a gun and a shovel and nobody will miss you."...

I guess in that vein, its time for...

Rule One: If you pull into my driveway and honk you'd better be delivering a package, because you're sure as heck not picking anything up.

Rule Two: You do not touch my daughter in front of me. You may glance at her, so long as you do not peer at anything below her neck. If you cannot keep your eyes or hands off of my daughter's body, I will remove them.

Rule Three: I am aware that it is considered fashionable for boys of your age to wear their trousers so loosely that they appear to be falling off their hips. Please don't take this as an insult, but you and all of your friends are complete idiots. Still, I want to be fair and open minded about this issue, so I propose this compromise: You may come to the door with your underwear showing and your pants ten sizes too big, and I will not object. However, In order to assure that your clothes do not, in fact, come off during the course of your date with my daughter, I will take my electric staple gun and fasten your trousers securely in place around your waist.

Rule Four: I'm sure you've been told that in today's world, sex without utilizing a "barrier method" of some kind can kill you. Let me elaborate: when it comes to sex, I am the barrier, and I WILL kill you.

Rule Five: In order for us to get to know each other, we should talk about sports, politics, and other issues of the day. Please do not do this. The only information I require from you is an indication of when you expect to have my daughter safely back at my house, and the only word I need from you on this subject is "early."

Rule Six: I have no doubt you are a popular fellow, with many opportunities to date other girls. This is fine with me as long as it is okay with my daughter. Otherwise, once you have gone out with my little girl, you will continue to date no one but her until she is finished with you. If you make her cry, I will make YOU cry.

Rule Seven: As you stand in my front hallway, waiting for my daughter to appear, and more than an hour goes by, do not sigh and fidget. If you want to be on time for the movie, you should not be dating. My daughter is putting on her makeup, a process which can take longer than painting the Golden Gate Bridge. Instead of just standing there, why don't you do something useful, like changing the oil in my car?

Rule Eight: The following places are not appropriate for a date with my daughter: Places where there are beds, sofas, or anything softer than a wooden stool. Places lacking parents, policemen, or nuns. Places where there is darkness. Places where there is dancing, holding hands, or happiness. Places where the ambient temperature is warm enough to induce my daughter to wear shorts, tank tops, midriff T-shirts, or anything other than overalls, a sweater, and a goose down parka zipped up to her chin. Movies with a strong romantic or sexual theme are to be avoided; movies which feature chainsaws are okay. Hockey games are okay.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:37 AM   #55
Dryer sheet aficionado

You guys are hilarious... But for what it worth, having kids and able to afford to have them is what life is all about. I just hope that when it is my turn, things will work out as planned. Rest assure, you'll see me on here more and more asking somewhat dumb questions with regards to having our first child.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:38 AM   #56

I think I'll still have the "intimidation" thing down ok. The prez of my company occasionally tells me (alternatively) that I look like either a Marine drill sargeant or a football linebacker.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:53 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Hmmmm, I think my approac will be more along the lines of:

My daughter has been taught well and is in full posession of her faculties. So long as I do not catch you in flagrante delicto or have to pick up the pieces, I will presume you are acting like responsible young adults (within reasonable limits on freedom allowed). However, should my daughter inform me that you have transgressed against her or the agreed upon rules, you will regret it. My daughter's grandfather worked in the Fulton Fish Market* for over 30 years. He still has a good friend and former business associate who is known as "Joe Tuna" (that is actually what is on his business card). If we ever need a "favor" from Joe, all we need to do is ask. No part of you will ever be found again (at least not in any recognizable form).

* infamous in these parts as rife with crime and Mafia activity.

- George Orwell

Old 07-03-2006, 01:35 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
They tend to like to pee on you when you're in the middle of a diaper change... Gabe used to pee at me 98% of the time
Hey, I used to work for bosses like that.

Quote:
Eh, I'm siding with the raging male hormones, as I've had personal experience with them.
I already know what it's like to raise a boy-- no way am I going to repeat that experience from the adult side of the problem.* Besides, with our girl at least I can get a reasonable explanation when I ask "What were you thinking?"

I'd like to think that all those years of dating/marriage have given me enough experience to handle raging female teenager hormones.* How hard could that be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Hmmmm, I think my approac will be more along the lines of:
My daughter has been taught well and is in full posession of her faculties.* So long as...
You guys are depending on your scary images to modify boyfriend behavior.* Now think way, waaaay back to your teen years-- did any of your girlfriend's fathers ever have a behavior-modifying effect on you?* Because unless they were within visual range of me, they didn't affect my behavior!

My approach will be simpler:* "Have a good time guys, but before you leave-- honey, I'm sorting the laundry and I'm trying to figure out whether this your black belt or mine?* Don't worry, I'm sure we'll get their blood out!"

Or I might go for the grossout effect.* In the immortal words of Steve Martin-- "Have a good time and don't forget to wear your condoms, I mean your seatbelts!"

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 05:03 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
You guys are depending on your scary images to modify boyfriend behavior. Now think way, waaaay back to your teen years-- did any of your girlfriend's fathers ever have a behavior-modifying effect on you? Because unless they were within visual range of me, they didn't affect my behavior!
I think Eddie Murphy put it best when he said "P---y makes you brave, man!"
Old 07-03-2006, 05:10 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
You guys are depending on your scary images to modify boyfriend behavior.*
No, I think all the rumors after the first one disapprears without any trace whatsoever will do the trick.

- George Orwell