Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Started Tracking Expnses Yesterday
Old 11-02-2007, 09:07 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Started Tracking Expnses Yesterday

First expense: (I'm using a notebook we already had, so first expense was not "notebook to track expenses, $0.49" ) Lunch $9.00. I was visiting a plant.

So the first recorded expense is one that will not exist once ER'd!

Looking forward to seeing how much the budget can be reduced in ER...
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2007, 09:20 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
First expense: (I'm using a notebook we already had, so first expense was not "notebook to track expenses, $0.49" ) Lunch $9.00. I was visiting a plant.

So the first recorded expense is one that will not exist once ER'd!

Looking forward to seeing how much the budget can be reduced in ER...
It might be helpful at tax time, too, for determining deductible expenses! Good idea.

I am planning to spend more in ER than I do now. I will probably want to do more shopping just in order to get out of the house. Right now, the last thing I would want to do is to spend my few leisure hours shopping!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 09:23 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
It might be helpful at tax time, too, for determining deductible expenses! Good idea.

I am planning to spend more in ER than I do now. I will probably want to do more shopping just in order to get out of the house. Right now, the last thing I would want to do is to spend my few leisure hours shopping!
One of things I plan to do before FIREing is to develop hobbies and pastimes that don't cost much money. I don't want to be in a position where "doing stuff" to fight off boredom with all that free time means spending money all the time.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 09:26 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I keep all receipts and post my net income and expenses to MS Money. It's been an eye opener over the years. Then, at the end of the year I print out the year's expenses and can see if I want to make changes for the new year.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 09:52 AM   #5

Hobbies that don't cost money are mutually exclusive words!
Rustic23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:24 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Oh, not so!! I have plenty of things to do that don't cost money, but most of them don't involve leaving the house. I don't think it would be healthy to just hole up in my house for forty years, so I am thinking of ways to get out of the house each day. I am going to belong to a gym, which will get me out of the house, but there will still be time for other things.

Old 11-03-2007, 06:26 AM   #7

Want2retire:

You can look into teaching a part time evening class (finance, how to take off wall paper , etc)...good way to make some petty cash and mingle with others.
Thank god I'm in recovery....I have a built in network of the old timers to hang out with during afternoon meetings. I have a hard time now juggling work, aa, hobbies, and fun stuff.....I need to get rid of work
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 10:46 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
I was visiting a plant.
Flowering?

You should have just eaten the plant. Free lunch.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 03:57 PM   #9

cute fuzzy bunny,

Not a good idea to eat that plant - too many heavy metals...
Old 11-03-2007, 06:30 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

As a large manufacturing shop, it was a common remark for someone out of the office at megacorp to say that they were "out of plant". I always suggested that they go ahead and buy a bit more.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 06:30 AM   #11

:chuckle:

Good one!
Old 11-04-2007, 10:31 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Hiking is one. We plan to do a lot more of it. And a Parks pass is only $80 per year.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:50 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
Thank god I'm in recovery....I have a built in network of the old timers to hang out with during afternoon meetings.
Ah recovery. If I thought I could survive giving up drinking I would go to meetings. They are really nice: "Hi Ha". Also, where else can you admit that you are powerless over anything, and stll be accepted? Try that here and you will get 40 lectures on will power and self discipline.

Other thing I liked about AA, other than all the free coffee and mucho hugs was the joke about Da Nile. And of course, let's not forget 13th stepping.

I am wondering, now that so many places are smoke free, how does anyone survive an AA meeting?

Ha
Old 11-04-2007, 12:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
Hiking is one. We plan to do a lot more of it. And a Parks pass is only $80 per year.
And for us old pharts, the federal Golden Age pass is only a one-time $10 fee. Last winter we visited about 15 National Parks, National Forests, etc, on a 6-week vacation for $0 admission.

In Oregon any veteran with a disability, even 0% disability, may camp free in the state parks. In Washington it is any veteran with a disability with a rating of 30% or higher. Since the 2 states have reciprocity, if you are less than 30% disabled, apply only for the Oregon pass and display that when in Washington. Some places also accept your VA card if it is marked "service connected".

Now that DW has been FIRED, we intend to get in more backpacking and general hiking.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:55 AM   #15
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hiking is still my favorite hobby, once fit, its easy to add a few more toys to build upon the base.

Now I have snowshoes, xc skis, full backpacking setup etc... About $2k for everything, but the actual activity is free. Lots of the guys I backpack with are using gear that is 10 - 20 years old, so i expect to get a lot of value out of my stuff.

As for tracking expenses, that is going to start for me in full in 2008! I just got back from the honeymoon and wife and I have decided to make and stick to a rather strict budget... something I have never done before, eek!
Breitling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:59 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
One of things I plan to do before FIREing is to develop hobbies and pastimes that don't cost much money. I don't want to be in a position where "doing stuff" to fight off boredom with all that free time means spending money all the time.
I had the same thought. In that both DH and I enjoy observing wildlife (that's birds, foxes, elk, etc...for you guys whose minds easily sink toward the gutter), I decided that we needed really good optics (binoc., spotting scope, field guides) to use during retirement. Hmmm...might be appropriate for the dirty minded types, too.

As it turned out, it was a great investment. We use the binocs a lot and the spotting scope mainly in coastal areas. Result: a "free" hobby for retirement...if you don't count the cost to going to the park...or the hottest birding spot, which we would have done anyway. BTW, watching an avid birder can be quite entertaining all by itself!
Twinkle Toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:13 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Oh, not so!! I have plenty of things to do that don't cost money, but most of them don't involve leaving the house. I don't think it would be healthy to just hole up in my house for forty years, so I am thinking of ways to get out of the house each day. I am going to belong to a gym, which will get me out of the house, but there will still be time for other things.
Don't know whether you like birds or not, but we put a birdfeeder outside the kitchen window. Kept it full of black sunflower seeds and kept the bird bath full of water. We had all kinds of birds show up. They gave us endless pleasure. During the winter, a source of fresh water is really a draw...of course you have to heat it to keep the water from freezing. It brings birds to your "window" which wouldn't otherwise frequent a feeding area. Keep a bird field guide handy to ID the birds. Baby birds are the most fun...they haven't got everything figured out yet...and the adult birds bring them to the banquet. It can be quite a treat, especially when you have your morning cuppa coffee.
Twinkle Toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:26 AM   #18

Hiking, yep that's cheap, well if you discount boots, shorts, walking sticks, camping gear, (hiking inevitably leads to camping), gps, compass, maps, cost of travel to get to hiking trails, those hikes around the house get a little tiresome. Sure it's not as bad as collecting gold, but it can get expensive.... it's up to the individual. And, I stand by my statement, most hobbies cost money! There is a slim line between hobby and obsession. DW's hobby is scrapbooking... now there is a cheap hoby..... RIGHT!
Rustic23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:55 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Don't know whether you like birds or not, but we put a birdfeeder outside the kitchen window. Kept it full of black sunflower seeds and kept the bird bath full of water. We had all kinds of birds show up. They gave us endless pleasure. During the winter, a source of fresh water is really a draw...of course you have to heat it to keep the water from freezing. It brings birds to your "window" which wouldn't otherwise frequent a feeding area. Keep a bird field guide handy to ID the birds. Baby birds are the most fun...they haven't got everything figured out yet...and the adult birds bring them to the banquet. It can be quite a treat, especially when you have your morning cuppa coffee.
I love birdwatching! Actually this is one of the things that I had planned. I already have several field guides that would cover my ER area. Birdwatching can lead to meeting some terrific people, as well, if one chooses to join a birdwatching group. Usually groups like that cost little to nothing.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:58 PM   #20
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I put out corncobs and peanuts and sunflower seeds and safflower seeds and suet cakes and flowers (for hummingbirds and butterflies) and water; I get many birds (and squirrels and raccoons and 'possums and chipmunks). The birds include crows and three species of hawk.

Sometimes I realize I have been watching the critters for a long time; a form of meditation?

It costs a bit, but I consider it cheaper than many other hobbies/entertainment.