Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

All posters seem to be DINKs (or SINKs) on this thread. Not us. We've got two children to raise, so we're living our lives while dreaming about the RE. I think I dream/think much more than my DH. The reason I come here or bogleheads and M* forums is because they inspire my dreams. I read business & personal finance related material and also about healthy eating/recipes/exercises. I stopped reading novels because I don't get enough sleep then and I need 7-8 hours of sleep before my 5.15 am work-outs 3-5x week.

I don't stress out about RE, but I love dreaming about it

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2013, 03:58 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkopel View Post
Careful, you don't want to be a skinny fat person. Just because your metabolism is high dosen't mean that you are not at risk of high cholesterol, high blood pressure and other diseases, if all you eat is Big Macs. Eating healthy and exercising is so much more important to your overall health than just staying skinny.
If I ever do get an issue, I'll do what I need to to fix it, until then, I'm not going to live like I'm dead

If it makes you feel better, I don't eat fast food because it seems to taste like I imagine a butt would taste. I don't eat many burgers either, but I'm just not a meat person :P I make my food at home except for our lunches out to Japanese restaurants I don't like making sushi at home, but I don't think I could go without it It did wonders for my former iron deficiency though, so I guess I'll write my sushi splurges off as health investments

Old 05-15-2013, 04:46 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Keep in mind, some posters may "seem" to have no kids b/c they don't particularly want to discuss underage youngsters on the Internet. Even on a nice forum like this one, there are lurkers whose motives are unknown...I get quite a few "hits" on my ER page from screen names with Zero posts and Zero personal info.

Enjoy your RE dreams! It's always nice when people aren't thinking of "retirement" as a dream rather than "the fate of old people who can't do anything any more."

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by aida2003 View Post
All posters seem to be DINKs (or SINKs) on this thread.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:29 AM   #24
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
All posters seem to be DINKs (or SINKs) on this thread. Not us. We've got two children to raise, so we're living our lives while dreaming about the RE. I think I dream/think much more than my DH. The reason I come here or bogleheads and M* forums is because they inspire my dreams. I read business & personal finance related material and also about healthy eating/recipes/exercises. I stopped reading novels because I don't get enough sleep then and I need 7-8 hours of sleep before my 5.15 am work-outs 3-5x week.

I've been lurking for a couple of years now I think. We have a couple of kids and one income, so you're not alone. We're hoping to have my spouse retire sometime in the next 12-15 years, but we'll see where we are at that time. What happens with health care over the next several years and future college costs play into when my spouse will be able to retire.

Until then, I spend a lot of time on budgeting, reading this forum, projecting future savings, etc.... I'm a bit obsessed with the whole thing, and even though we still have a ways to go, I'm getting excited that it really does seem possible for us in about 12 more years or so.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:44 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

This thread makes me think back of those times I was slogging away at work. I think what got me through are (1) the vacations (make sure you take your vacation days and spend them away from work), (2) my hobbies/exercise - I look forward to golf each week-end, a movie as and when I have time to watch one, good food and wine - one has to eat, right? (3) family and good friends. In a nutshell, I think these really helped me through the years.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:38 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

10+ years to planned ER is a long time to wait for that single event. So, in that intervening timeframe don't lose sight of...enjoying life. Vacations, dinners out (or whatever it is that floats your boat) etc is why you are working in the first place.
In other words, balance current needs and future needs.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:15 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
(1) the vacations (make sure you take your vacation days and spend them away from work)
This one is a big one, and a hard one from me. My entire business is on my laptop, which I bring everywhere just in case of emergencies. I didn't bring it to the Keys last month because we were sleeping outside, and it was an incredible relaxing vacation. This month, we're going to Discovery Cove, and staying in a hotel for the two nights surrounding it. I'd be lying is I pretended for a moment I wasn't going to work probably for most of those two nights

It's a really difficult hurdle to move by, it's just very hard to pass up the opportunity to have more money in my pocket today.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:42 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Keep in mind, some posters may "seem" to have no kids b/c they don't particularly want to discuss underage youngsters on the Internet. Even on a nice forum like this one, there are lurkers whose motives are unknown...I get quite a few "hits" on my ER page from screen names with Zero posts and Zero personal info.

Enjoy your RE dreams! It's always nice when people aren't thinking of "retirement" as a dream rather than "the fate of old people who can't do anything any more."

Amethyst
But kids are part of the whole picture, aren't they?
I fail to interpret your last sentence. I know English, but it's still ESL to me. Did you imply it's better to think/plan than dream about it? I do all of that.

What ER page do you get hits on? Just curious precautions I should take. I try to be vague when I fill out profiles on the public forums. BTW, if you don't want to divulge secrets for lurkers, your PM is welcome ;-).
Old 05-16-2013, 08:09 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
I've been lurking for a couple of years now I think. We have a couple of kids and one income, so you're not alone. We're hoping to have my spouse retire sometime in the next 12-15 years, but we'll see where we are at that time. What happens with health care over the next several years and future college costs play into when my spouse will be able to retire.

Until then, I spend a lot of time on budgeting, reading this forum, projecting future savings, etc.... I'm a bit obsessed with the whole thing, and even though we still have a ways to go, I'm getting excited that it really does seem possible for us in about 12 more years or so.
This is a good thread since it pulled in one lurker. Welcome! Any others?

Your post is exactly our situation except the # of income (we've got two, but DH is the main breadwinner).
For one thing, I'm glad that we're not on the brink of ER because I'm also very interested in seeing how the new healthcare will play out. Per MMM blog & his budget, we'd be considered totally FI now, but IMO it's only on paper and we're not as audacious/brave as his family.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:08 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

This is a good thread since it pulled in one lurker. Welcome! Any others?

Your post is exactly our situation except the # of income (we've got two, but DH is the main breadwinner).
For one thing, I'm glad that we're not on the brink of ER because I'm also very interested in seeing how the new healthcare will play out. Per MMM blog & his budget, we'd be considered totally FI now, but IMO it's only on paper and we're not as audacious/brave as his family.
Agreed on not being as audacious as MMM, and waiting to see how the ACA shakes out. We're frugal in many ways, but our base expenses are quite a bit higher than 25k. Once we know what the ACA numbers are for our state, we can start adding numbers into the ER healthcare equation.

So I suppose one way we dream about FIRE is by occasionally modifying our spreadsheets?

SIS
Old 05-17-2013, 07:05 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortInSeattle View Post
So I suppose one way we dream about FIRE is by occasionally modifying our spreadsheets? SIS
Pretty much in my case, at least. OTOH, yesterday I got an inter-library loan of Zelinki's book "How to Retire free, wild, and happy". I read a few pages and it resonates with this forum and some other blogs that financial picture is only one piece of the ER puzzle. You must prepare other puzzle pieces as well or you'll fail in the ER. Based on the few read pages, it's a very easy book to read, but very important, though I think it's a bit too early for us to make lists of 'what to do' in the ER. I'll wait at least another 5 years.

PS. Seattle and Boulder, CO differ in many ways I think and I agree on the $25k budget infeasible in the cities (including our Charlotte, NC). I cannot make a budget to feed our family for $100 a week, but at least made me curious to track our expenses (which is easy since we charge one CC mostly) and see how much we average out per week for food...way way above $100/wk especially when U-pick season begin.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginadog View Post
I just watched this video which made me think of this post.

"This is water."
This has more to do with how to remain happy in the slog to retirement than anything! You need to be awake and aware; if you sleepwalk through life and react without thinking, you're likely leaving a whole lot of happiness on the table.