Staying the course?

Staying the course, maxing out the 403b and dw's 401k. It's pretty much automatic, so I don't really think about the retirement account purchases.

We have picked a not so good time to remodel the kitchen and we are paying for it as we go as opposed to financing it, but we'll build up cash outside the retirement accounts when we finish the project. I don't really like dishing out 30 -35k for the kitchen at this time, but the process has already started. I tell the neighbors that dw is trying to stop this recession all by herself. I guess we'll weather this market downturn cooking and entertaining in style.

I guess we'll weather this market downturn cooking and entertaining in style.

A woman I know told me years ago that her grandparents had a bit of money at the start of the Great Depression and bought a record player and new linoleum flooring for the kitchen.

They were poor, but could invite friends and family over for pot-luck parties!

===

I got a raise and increased my 401k contrib by the same amount. It's going into an index, so I'm ignoring it lately. :p But we shall rise, yes we will

Bottom? I figure it's like going canoeing in low water - we're going to do some scraping along the bottom all the way down the channel ...

ta,
mews

Nothing really has changed for me. I did re-balance my 401k today.

My goals right now are:

- Pay off the ~1k in credit card debt I have (first CC debt ever, *sigh*)
- Re-fund the contribution $$$ I had to take out of my Roth IRA earlier this year (it's not a lot, but *double sigh*)
- Increase my emergency fund

Luckily everything else is going well, though.

I changed my TSP monthly investment to the "F" fund - a bond index. Stopped my DCA investment to Fidelity Defense Select and Aerospace Fund for the time being.

All of my funds are "F" funds right now. At least thats the first sound I start making when I look at them.

I'll give everyone fair warning that I've moved all my pennies back from cash into stocks; this is a fairly reliable sell signal for the market. :duh:

Not only that, but I've decided to live off of PB&J for a while so I can invest yet another 15% of gross income in the market (not DCA'ing - just setting limit orders at 52week lows for certain stocks). [-]If[/-] when the S&P500 falls below 800 I'll move the bonds to stock as well. After that? ... well there's always margin.

Pssst - Wellesley = 4.93% SEC yield and dats above the mythical 4% SWR.

It's football season and if your team doesn't do well there's always Mr Market to entertain you.

Thrill of Victory and Agony of Defeat and all that rot.

heh heh heh - ;). Just gassed up at 2.99/gal ?? Mowed the lawn - grass is still growing and the birds are singing.

Last edited:
heh heh heh - ;). Just gassed up at 2.99/gal ?? Mowed the lawn - grass is still growing and the birds are singing.
I 'm down to the last 1 gallon of gas (out of about 20 gallons) that I bought in May '07 for the generator and yard equipment.....don't remember what I paid per gallon back then, but I'm pretty sure it was less than I'll plunking down tomorrow to refill all the containers. Sure am glad that somebody invented that "Sta-Bil" gasoline stabilizer! This last bit of gas smells just as fresh as it did when I got it......and it's also nice to know that I've been burning 'cheap' gas to mow the lawn this year! :rolleyes:

I had the rider out today [-]chasing the squirrels around the estate[/-] mowing the lawn that doesn't seem to want to quit growing for the season just yet. :rant:

But on a brighter note.....at least the market didn't take another nosedive today! :D

But on a brighter note.....at least the market didn't take another nosedive today! :D

Yeah. When I retired, I didn't think I would give a rip about weekends like I did when I worked. Now I look forward to the weekends to give my portfolio a break.:-\

LOL! I was just thinking the same thing this morning. "For a change, 'thank god its a saturday!'"

My investments and contributions have not changed. I feel good knowing that I have 3 1/2 years of living expenses in cash. If I went bare bones, I could stretch that to 6 years.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom