Join Early Retirement Today

Staying the course is a day-to-day struggle
Old 01-11-2006, 09:37 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Staying the course is a day-to-day struggle

I just got in my annual statement from my Mutual fund company. I'm showing 4K contributed to my wife's Roth, and 3150 to mine. This is in addition to 15% into my TSP from my federal job. So do I write that check now for $850 to cap off my IRA or does that money go in my Subaru WRX fund. Decisions like this haunt me, lol.
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Staying the course is a day-to-day struggle
Old 01-11-2006, 09:38 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As an old fuddy-duddy who drives a 6yo pickup, I vote Roth. YMMV!! :P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 09:44 AM   #3

Heck, my pickup's 21 years old, so put me down for the Roth, too!
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 09:48 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Another vote for the Roth.
kz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 09:55 AM   #5

savings or spending, savings or spending, savings or spending, savings or spending,...
now or later, now or later, now or later, now or later, now or later, now or later,...

well you can save some and you can spend some. It's all up to you. My advice is to save all that you can untill you start to feel a bit deprived. Then let up a little and go spend some money.

My personal take...you won't regret saving money when you look back twenty years later. And that car of 20 years ago, now tell me again why I wanted it ?
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 10:23 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Which pickup?* One or 'em is 29 yo and the other is 16 yo...

Write your little buddy Roth a check.* Its only 850 bones

Wait a little longer on the WRX and the depreciation will be 850*
Old 01-11-2006, 10:35 AM   #7

Finish off your Roth. It will grow tax free, whereas your WRX won't.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 12:18 PM   #8

Split the difference.

I know everybody else is saying "you won't remember that car 20 years from now" total nonsense.

I have fond memories of every car I have ever owned. Having a fast, and well handling car is one of life's joys. Personally, I keep a second fund for my future Boxster S that I will buy in a few years.

saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 12:52 PM   #9

I'm so close now, it makes it hard to delay.* This so called car fund is about 22.5K now ( I need ~ 26-27K, including tax for this car) so delayed gratification is becoming harder and harder.* *Though i've posted this before, the car it will be replacing is a 95' 240sx, but with only 86K miles on it.

Incidentally enough, I admitted to my wife yesterday that our grand total of retirement savings for this past year (amount i put in, not the total amount I have) was just over 17K.* *She looked at me like i'm crazy and said "I want some of that money back".* She was just joking, but i could tell if it was up to her, she wouldnt be joking.* She thinks i'm oversaving as it is.* If i do write the check for $850 to the Roth, I might not tell her, lol.

Azanon
Old 01-11-2006, 01:02 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I vote for do BOTH... put $850 in Roth and $850 to WRX.... be a GOOD American!!!
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 02:21 AM   #11

I've got a 2002 WRX so I'm biased. If you go for the car join SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) and sign up for the closest Autocross Solo II events. It's parking lot racing around cones against the clock. Tons of fun, far cheaper than amateur road racing, and lots of challenge. You make lots of friends and learn how to drive your car 9 to 10/10ths (which you will never do on public roads) with no risk other than the occasional spinnout embarrassment. Nothing like spanking those M3's and Boxster S's at half the price. Of course there will be someone in a beat up modified lime colored Civic who will in turn humble you

Might as well make the most of your purchase. Otherwise keep the 240sx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP1940.JPG (37.1 KB, 200 views)
TargaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by azanon
I just got in my annual statement from my Mutual fund company. I'm showing 4K contributed to my wife's Roth, and 3150 to mine. This is in addition to 15% into my TSP from my federal job. So do I write that check now for $850 to cap off my IRA or does that money go in my Subaru WRX fund. Decisions like this haunt me, lol.
Well, as a Subaru lover, tho a temporary owner of a Honda , I dutifully and eagerly tried to see what a WRX is. But with my dial-up connection I decided not to wait for the Subaru home page to load and said forget it.

Do what you think best and don't sweat it. You'll enjoy the WRX and you'll enjoy the Roth being paid up, and both will happen in due time.
kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:51 AM   #13

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

Quote:
Originally Posted by azanon
So do I write that check now for $850 to cap off my IRA or does that money go in my Subaru WRX fund.
WRX GAS fund.

I had a '04 Forester XT (same engine as the STi), and it would devour premium fuel. Best car I have ever owned, and was very fun to drive, but I had to fill up the tank every 2.5 days (the gas tank is way too small in the forester. You can barely get 300 miles on a tank. I filled up at 280).... so I got rid of it (only cost me $3k in depreciation for the 1.5 years I owned it) and bought a used Camry. I can go 450 miles on a tank of regular fuel. It's amazing. There are days that I miss the acceleration of the XT.... there was always something about being pressed into my seat and accelerating to 85 while still on the on-ramp just made me smile....

Despite the fuel bill, i'm sure you will love your WRX If you have never driven a car with a turbo before, make sure you get a boost gauge, it will really help you to learn how the engine behaves. It always seemed like the XT performance was erratic until I got a boost gauge installed- then it made sense why it drove as it did.
Marshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:54 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Just remember that subaru spelled backwards is "you are a bus"...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 11:02 AM   #15

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaDave
Nothing like spanking those M3's and Boxster S's at half the price.*
I always got more enjoyment out of spanking the riced out civics. I suppose "riced" isn't a PC term, but that seems to be the term for civics with body kits, tachs with shift lights, clusters of worthless gauges, fake NOS buttons on the wheel, and a muffler that makes the engine sound like a sick duck. These same kids probably stuck playing cards into their bike spokes as kids

I think I had more fun in the XT with these kids than I would have had with a WRX- most people really don't know what the XT can do

Anyone here ever drive an Audi S4? Thoughts?
Marshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 11:14 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshac
I always got more enjoyment out of spanking the riced out civics. I suppose "riced" isn't a PC term, but that seems to be the term for civics with body kits, tachs with shift lights, clusters of worthless gauges, fake NOS buttons on the wheel, and a muffler that makes the engine sound like a sick duck. These same kids probably stuck playing cards into their bike spokes as kids

I think I had more fun in the XT with these kids than I would have had with a WRX- most people really don't know what the XT can do

Anyone here ever drive an Audi S4? Thoughts?
My DIL has one. Incredibly nice car. Beautiful interior, very nice handling, and very quick.

Ha
Old 01-12-2006, 11:46 AM   #17

Quote:
WRX GAS fund.
I only drive about 8K miles a year in my car, so it shouldnt be too bad. (judging by my 11 year old 240sx which has 86K)
Old 01-12-2006, 12:05 PM   #18

Do both. I don't regret my car purchase. It's smooth, can corner, and came stock with a sub-woofer.

I waited until next year's models were on the lot and negotiated a good deal.
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 12:43 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Audi - Accelerates under demonic influence... :P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 05:03 PM   #20

FORD. Fix or Repair Daily. I know, it's old, but so am I.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote